Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #46
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Martinez is a slight favourite over Watson but probably looses to the rest.
Makes you realise how strong the 90's middles were as I rate Martinez fairly highly.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #47
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dude he gets murdered by damn near all of them. And a vintage hopkins, holy shit bernard would have steamrolled him straight broadstreet bully style.

We do not even have to put Roy on that list it. It is pretty much known what would have gone down.
bigeddie27 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #48
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Makes you realise how strong the 90's middles were...
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #49
bigeddie27
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlok View Post
I thought the thread was about Martinez fighting guys in the 90.....lbs category!
Lolz with his past fight history I am not going to fault you for that line of thought.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #50
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Well all of Serg's middleweight competition thus far is inferior to everyone on that list...Pav is on par with some of them overall because he is steady with an alright beard, whereas some of those guys at an up and down career, a lot of the time because of durability issues..but the ones he is about as good as would give Martinez a better fight than he did for different reasons, they would have to be on one of their good nights though.

He is a very tough style to deal with but the dominance he displayed against the fairly basic Williams and Pavlik, and the physically and mentally disappointing Dzin wont automatically equate to him being able to beat that crop...they were a fine bunch of fighters with a range of styles.

I wouldnt give him a chance against Roy or Nard..and I reckon Toney would have to drop the ball to lose, which he has shown he is certainly capable of doing.

He is a bad fight for McCallum stylistically...but Mike proved he was a level above what Martinez has shown me thus far. You better believe if Martinez let him into the fight like he against pretty much all his 3 middle opponents (less so Dzin and of course Williams in the rematch) McCallum would not let him off the hook..I just see Mike getting the better of it down the stretch everytime.

I pick Kalambay to outpoint him.

Middleweight Benn is pick em...Nigel was less polished there and showed stamina issues..But Martinez might well crumble under the unconventional pressure of Benn.

I was never totally sold on Nunn...but he was a cunt to deal with when he was up for it. Martinez aint seen no one close to Nunn before..Sure Williams was tall, black and a lefty but thats where the similarities end. Reckon Nunn picks up the points verdict but if he coasts to much Sergio will run him very close.

Graham fight is an interesting one because of the similar approaches...I'm going to side with Bomber at this stage though. A little more awkward and versatile.

He could take Watson..barely though. Michael was an excellent boxer, pretty underrated.

Martinez could finish what Bomber started against Jackson if you ask me...probably would take him a while longer because he fights more exclusively at range but I think he might have the tools to do it.
Problem is Julian doesnt need much of an opening...and as quick and slick as Martinez is, the openings are there enough for a guy like the Hawk..who was a pretty solid textbook boxer, not just some uncouth brawler.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #51
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Re-reading "Legacy of Ashes"-- Someone has to, right Wige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Agree on both counts. But even the Hopkins with his high ring IQ that we know from his later career is still not as well rounded (certinaly on offense) and intelligent a fighter as Mccallum.
Excellent point.
hoopsman is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #52
somebody
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Sorry too much nostalia here to come in with an unbiased head and especially with Nigel Benn, I'm going to be massively biased and say Nigel cleans Martinezs' clock and knocks him out brutally
somebody is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum