Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default could anyone today.....

do what the big old fat george foreman did when he took the title again yrs ago? what past champions could get into the box today in the same situation george was in(fat and old but could murder ya with one punch) and regain the heavyweight championship?
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: could anyone today.....

Lewis maybe could, especially against someone like Haye
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
PoliSari
█ Geek Chic Superstar █

vCash: 2522

Lewis.. maybe. depends on the opponent. at the moment i can't imagine it happening outside of banking on one shot or getting lucky. but then again.. a win is a win i guess.
PoliSari is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If they had someone like Bob Arum who was willing to pay people to lay down or sanctioning bodies to rank bums in order to keep the gravy train rolling. Money greases the squeeky wheel in boxing.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

lewis is the only one i can think of
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

I could see an Old Lewis sparking Haye or Wlad with a nuclear righthand...

Imagine Old Lennox trained by Dundee to use the same style as Old George, it could work great.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

What about Tyson?

Unlike Lewis (but like George and perhaps even more so) he does have that special KO punch that can win a fight against the odds. He has the power to keep fighters off him, even when his speed is ponderously slow (like George) and he does have a fairly solid chin to soak up punishment, like George. Also, like George, he seems to have lately got rid of many of his past demons (i know you can never tell but it seems that way).

Imagine Tyson, starting off with a fight per month now against tomato cans, focusing on his training like never before (since the early days), for a two or three year period and coming into a fight with an aged Vitali, an aging but china chinned (arguably) Wlad or even an overated Haye. Or whoever else wins the championship.

I think Tyson might be the best chance (even though he is no chance).

Of the others, Evander is a chance though he doesnt seem likely.

Rid**** Bowe, might be interesting if he trained, but didnt really have any skills. Still, it isnt totally out of the question, if in shape, to see him soaking up punishment from Wlad and landing a hail mary.

Foreman himself is too old now and it would never happen, but certainly would have the right style and opponent to repeat. I wonder if Wlad would come to fight, or even now he would cower behind footwork and a jab and clinch. Actually clinching against George could be dangerous, he could be over powered and cracked in the clinch.

I dont see how Holmes (also too old although probably in better shape than George) even if younger could outpoint Wlad or Vitali at the old age. In fact, he may even have some troubles prime for prime, but that is a different story.

I would love to see Wlad and Vitali in exhibitions against some of the older champions. I think that this is one of the lost arts of boxing. In fact, i think i would enjoy a playful Frazier vs Wlad sparring session more than i enjoy some of today's heavyweight championships.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
eslubin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

The more time passes, the bigger problem Lewis's chin would become. Foreman could take a corking sockdolager on the beard! There's no one to beat Vitali like that because he's not Michael Moorer. He's more like Jack Johnson. Now watch Solis ice him this week & make me look bad! lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroTAs25RkU[/ame]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
eslubin is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
What about Tyson?
i think he would be too small. The taller hw would just keep him at distance and lay into him like lennox did in his fight. Without speed and loads of head movement tyson isn't very good because he would just gets hit too much, although he does have quite a good chin and can take a lot of punishment. George had the perfect style for a comeback he was tall and strong and his style never really relied on speed, technique, or fast footwork it was all about brutal KO power and he had a good chin, one of my if not my favourite fighter.

The only one i can see doing it is lewis but i wouldnt want him too he would just end up getting hurt.
nick6 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
I could see an Old Lewis sparking Haye or Wlad with a nuclear righthand...

Imagine Old Lennox trained by Dundee to use the same style as Old George, it could work great.
I just cum a little bit.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6 View Post
i think he would be too small. The taller hw would just keep him at distance and lay into him like lennox did in his fight. Without speed and loads of head movement tyson isn't very good because he would just gets hit too much, although he does have quite a good chin and can take a lot of punishment. George had the perfect style for a comeback he was tall and strong and his style never really relied on speed, technique, or fast footwork it was all about brutal KO power and he had a good chin, one of my if not my favourite fighter.

The only one i can see doing it is lewis but i wouldnt want him too he would just end up getting hurt.
I can see your point, but he can get in close and do damage. Certainly prime for prime i dont see Tyson's size as being a problem.

One of the things people imagine is that it is impossible for smaller fighter to hit a fighter with a reach advantage and long jab. That is not the case. Difficult, yes, particularly if the opponent executes the plan perfectly like Lewis and even Wlad does, but the smaller opponent will still land some punches!. If he has the power to trouble the taller fighter, then it will cause the taller fighter to go into his shell and allow the shorter fighter to dictate terms more and therefore land bigger punches. If Wlad fights tyson (assuming he gets in decent shape) even now, he will not (unless he scores a decisive early KO) do so without taking at least a few punches. If he cant take them, then he is in a world of trouble. I think it is agreed that under any circumstances if tyson lands cleanly he probably finishes the fight. Obviously it is hard for him to land cleanly. to take the middle ground, if Tyson lands a couple of shots similar to what Brewster landed on Wlad or if you dont belive that fight, what Sanders landed, then no matter the age or reach of the fighters, Tyson will be right in the fight. incidentally i am not saying he would be the favourite.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I just cum a little bit.
Me too. I was thinking of how stiff & hard his ramrod jab would be.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Me too. I was thinking of how stiff & hard his ramrod jab would be.
Hes stiff and hard.

Were stiff and hard.

GANG BANG.

ps no ****
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
Hes stiff and hard.

Were stiff and hard.

GANG BANG.

ps no ****

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
nick6
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
I can see your point, but he can get in close and do damage. Certainly prime for prime i dont see Tyson's size as being a problem.

One of the things people imagine is that it is impossible for smaller fighter to hit a fighter with a reach advantage and long jab. That is not the case. Difficult, yes, particularly if the opponent executes the plan perfectly like Lewis and even Wlad does, but the smaller opponent will still land some punches!. If he has the power to trouble the taller fighter, then it will cause the taller fighter to go into his shell and allow the shorter fighter to dictate terms more and therefore land bigger punches. If Wlad fights tyson (assuming he gets in decent shape) even now, he will not (unless he scores a decisive early KO) do so without taking at least a few punches. If he cant take them, then he is in a world of trouble. I think it is agreed that under any circumstances if tyson lands cleanly he probably finishes the fight. Obviously it is hard for him to land cleanly. to take the middle ground, if Tyson lands a couple of shots similar to what Brewster landed on Wlad or if you dont belive that fight, what Sanders landed, then no matter the age or reach of the fighters, Tyson will be right in the fight. incidentally i am not saying he would be the favourite.

i see your point but he couldn't do it back in the day against lewis what makes you think he could do it now ? although he does have a punchers chance i'll give you that.
nick6 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum