Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Hopkins (That Fought Tito) Vs. Martinez at 160

This is not a tough call at all in my opinion. Martinez is a very athletic fighter, and has great skills, but he's not a thinking fighter, and B Hop would force him to waste a lot of energy by keeping his pace slow, while making Martinez use a lot of energy.

B Hop would put counters in, and walk Martinez into traps. Martinez would probably win the first part of his fight with activity, although his real connect percentage would be very low.

He would gas around mid fight, and B Hop would take over, and never give Martinez a chance to get back in the fight.

I want to see Martinez vs Angulo. Against Angulo, he'll be forced to think because Angulo isn't going to gas, and he takes serious punishment, and has better technique IMO than Margarito.
HENDO is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Hopkins on points.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

Look at how Hopkins disected Pascal who is a bit similiar to Martinez in some respects, and this was at age 45.

And to be honest, I'm impressed with Martinez, but he's no Roy Jones. And not to mention, I don't recall Roy ever gassing mid fight.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #19
crager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HENDO View Post
This is not a tough call at all in my opinion. Martinez is a very athletic fighter, and has great skills, but he's not a thinking fighter, and B Hop would force him to waste a lot of energy by keeping his pace slow, while making Martinez use a lot of energy.

B Hop would put counters in, and walk Martinez into traps. Martinez would probably win the first part of his fight with activity, although his real connect percentage would be very low.

He would gas around mid fight, and B Hop would take over, and never give Martinez a chance to get back in the fight.

I want to see Martinez vs Angulo. Against Angulo, he'll be forced to think because Angulo isn't going to gas, and he takes serious punishment, and has better technique IMO than Margarito.
Well said agree 100%.
crager is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

Martinez needs to prove he's not all athlete. I'm not saying his technique is bad, I think it's great in most cases, but he wastes too much energy.

I want to see him with Angulo because before he knocked out Dziniziruk, mid fight against Pavlik and I believe against Williams, he started to gas.

Angulo is going to take advantage of this and punish him. He needs to utilize a body attack against Angulo, and set him up.

I mean, I give credit to Martinez because it seems like he always finds his second wind, but he has his opponent hurt when this happens.

I've never seen Angulo even close to being hurt. The man is like a damn terminator robot.

It's easy to dismiss Angulo, but history has shown that Martinez can be beat with pressure, even if he's improved all around as a fighter. And there is plenty of evidence that he uses too much energy and begins to tire.

I think this would be a fan friendly fight and that HBO should set it up, if Angulo is up to it of course.

Mayweather and Pac need to fight eachother before considering Martinez in my opinion.
HENDO is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
Alo2006
R.I.P Sean Taylor
ESB Addict

MArtinez never face a fighter with a style dirty like Bhop. Bhop by UD
Alo2006 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
Rhino718
M.O.B.
ESB Addict

IMO Bhop wins by UD
Rhino718 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #23
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pea View Post
Comparing resume is useless (or even common opponent) in that case.

But I agree with your post.
Well, I really wouldn't say completely useless as for the common opponent. These are both favs, so I'm going to be honest with both. Remember, Hopkins schooled Pavlik not at 160, but at 170, where Kelly was the favorite even though he went up in weight. Sergio, on the other hand, fought Kelly in Kelly's domain of 160, so there wouldn't be any excuses because like Hatton never lost at 140, Kelly never lost at 160. And you know the rest of the story. The amount of time between these 2 fights was not very long either. Do you give Hopkins more credit for beating an undefeated Kelly at a higher weight, or do you give it to Sergio for beating Kelly where Kelly supposedly is strongest? Sergio has a style very, very similar to Roy Jones and is equally effective. That is why I am not so quick to pick Bhops despite his superior skills and size because he and Toney both had superior skills than RJ yet weren't successful against him. I think Bhops won one of the Taylor fights and I really don't think Taylor was a better fighter than Sergio.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
Little Pea
'A' grade boxing fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Well, I really wouldn't say completely useless as for the common opponent. These are both favs, so I'm going to be honest with both. Remember, Hopkins schooled Pavlik not at 160, but at 170, where Kelly was the favorite even though he went up in weight. Sergio, on the other hand, fought Kelly in Kelly's domain of 160, so there wouldn't be any excuses because like Hatton never lost at 140, Kelly never lost at 160. And you know the rest of the story. The amount of time between these 2 fights was not very long either. Do you give Hopkins more credit for beating an undefeated Kelly at a higher weight, or do you give it to Sergio for beating Kelly where Kelly supposedly is strongest? Sergio has a style very, very similar to Roy Jones and is equally effective. That is why I am not so quick to pick Bhops despite his superior skills and size because he and Toney both had superior skills than RJ yet weren't successful against him. I think Bhops won one of the Taylor fights and I really don't think Taylor was a better fighter than Sergio.
Both fighters fight differently.
Both fighters beat Pavlik convincingly.

Credit is the same to me.
Little Pea is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #25
dhenzrae
A Proud Noypi
ESB Addict

vCash: 18446744073709551541

im picking Hopkins by UD. Difficult style to beat. He's capable of ruining your fight strategy and he's very smart in the ring. i'm giving Maravilla 30% chance of winning.
dhenzrae is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #26
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1090

Hopkins by decision if he wants to take it easy, by KO if he wants to make it look good.
bernie4366 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #27
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
ahhh so Sergio is equal to Roy Jones now hmm?

Suck my ****.
bernie4366 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Jesus, Martinez's is FAR easier to hit than RJJ was back in the day. Martinez isn't in that league.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #29
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pea View Post
Both fighters fight differently.
Both fighters beat Pavlik convincingly.

Credit is the same to me.
Same here. I know the common opponent thing isn't a surething to use, but then nothing really is.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie4366 View Post
ahhh so Sergio is equal to Roy Jones now hmm?

Suck my ****.
I said he has a style very similar to RJ, not that he was as great as RJ, spandex boy.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum