Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did we never seen Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Aaron Pryor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I would not write Pyror off. He was extremely tough, hit hard, and was relentless in the ring. If Hagler went after Sugar Ray in the early rounds, the fight could have been different. While Pryor will be giving up some size, I think he would go after Sugar Ray. It would have been a great fight.
Hagler was of course much bigger and stronger than Pryor, so I don't really see that comparison. For a smaller man to really put Ray on the back foot it would take someone truly exceptional (i e Duran). Pryor could walk through Arguello's best punches, but I don't think he would walk through Leonard's.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
bigstinkybug
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

*Pryor followed SRL for years... there's even video of it where Pryor calls Leonard out... there was rumor that Pror had also knocked Leonard down while sparring when they we just turning pro... Pryor was also putting it on Howard Davis and was turned down when he called Davis out in their first pro fight...
*There's alot of folks that were close to both fighters that said Leonard just didn't want to fight him... for whatever reason..
*Pryor beat Hearns in the amatuers as well...
bigstinkybug is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Hagler was of course much bigger and stronger than Pryor, so I don't really see that comparison. For a smaller man to really put Ray on the back foot it would take someone truly exceptional (i e Duran). Pryor could walk through Arguello's best punches, but I don't think he would walk through Leonard's.
I think Arguello hit about as hard as Sugar Ray. Maybe Arguello had slightly less power, but he was more offensive minded. I don't think Leonard's power would bother Pryor that much. Hearns was not nearly as durable as Pryor was, yet he lasted many rounds with Leonard.

It would have been a great fight. Pryor had an aggressive puncher's style that would be trouble for anyone.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think Arguello hit about as hard as Sugar Ray. Maybe Arguello had slightly less power, but he was more offensive minded. I don't think Leonard's power would bother Pryor that much. Hearns was not nearly as durable as Pryor was, yet he lasted many rounds with Leonard.
Leonard's power bothered just about every one he met at WW and JMW. The Hearns' fight is another strange comparison from you. Hearns took a long time to put away because it was so hard to get inside his jab. When Leonard tagged him clean he hurt him just about every time.

Pryor was a totally different animal from Hearns, physically and stylewise. He would be coming in and be there to be hit. That is bad news against someone as strong, powerful and accurate as Leonard. Arguello was also much less technically skilled (much more open and unblanced) than Duran. It would be fireworks as long as it lasted, but Leonard takes him out early.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

...re: howard davis and pryor...pryor did NOT call out davis. pryor actually turned down a fight with davis. pryor's promoter and the matchmaker involved. wanted to make the fight but pryor refused. as a previous poster here said...pryor turned down several fights...and not because he thought he was worth more money.

on his way up pryor would not fight a taller opponent or a guy who had won his last fight....pryor drove his management nuts with his refusal to fight anyone who might have a chance to beat him.

if there is anyone on this panel who was there a the time these discussions took place and wants to dispute what i have written just come on and do so. otherwise please don't bother.
albinored is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:

It would have been a great fight. Pryor had an aggressive puncher's style that would be trouble for anyone.

Arguello hit no where near as hard as Leonard ... pound for pound he hit harder for sure .. straight up, no way ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

In a 10-Round Non-Title fight, this fight would be a toss-up.

Howard Davis fought Aaron Pryor, and sparred with Ray Leonard.
He called it a Draw if it was for 10-rounds.

Suprisingly, he thought Hector Camacho would fair better against Ray Leonard over
15 Rounds. This back in 1982.
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #23
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

.....aaron pryor and howard davis did NOT fight as pros and duce knows it.
i repeat....it was pryor's losing to davis in the amateurs that caused pryor to refuse to fight davis.
albinored is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #24
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Arguello hit no where near as hard as Leonard ... pound for pound he hit harder for sure .. straight up, no way ...
No, of course he didn't.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #25
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstinkybug View Post
*Pryor followed SRL for years... there's even video of it where Pryor calls Leonard out... there was rumor that Pror had also knocked Leonard down while sparring when they we just turning pro... Pryor was also putting it on Howard Davis and was turned down when he called Davis out in their first pro fight...
*There's alot of folks that were close to both fighters that said Leonard just didn't want to fight him... for whatever reason..
*Pryor beat Hearns in the amatuers as well...
Calling out doesn't mean shit.

Signing contracts does.

Pryor had a chance to fight Leonard, but turned it down.

Pryor was an awesome 140 lb. fighter, but against an amazing WW like Leonard? I don't like his chances in that great WW era.

Pryor has himself to blame for not taking those fights against the bigger names at higher divisions. Or simply genetics for not making him that naturally big.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #26
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Pryor would've pushed Leonard to the limit. He would've kept on the ropes for much of the fight. Pryor had the tenacity to give SRL hell in much the same manner as Duran. What Aaron unfortunately didn't have was the defensive abilities to make Ray miss. Which is why Pryor would be winning for most of the fight...but not win the fight. As much hell as he would give Ray, Pryor would ultimately catch one too many punches. I see him gassing out somewhere in rounds 13-15.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #27
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
No, of course he didn't.
Who do you think took a better punch, Pryor or Hearns?

Who do you think hit harder, Duran or Pyror?

I have Pyror in both categories.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #28
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Who do you think took a better punch, Pryor or Hearns?

Who do you think hit harder, Duran or Pyror?

I have Pyror in both categories.
You really like to muddle the waters with nonsensical things, don't you? As I've said Hearns and Pryor are such different animals that whatever happened in Leonard-Hearns has no bearing on this match-up. Many of Leonard's opponents had better chins than Hearns, but only one had Hearn's combination of skill, power, speed and reach: and that was Hearns.

Leonard-Duran is a more apt comparison. Maybe Pryor hit harder, but there's far more to boxing than punch. The big difference between Duran and Pryor was that Duran was more skilled and versatile. Duran was able to attack Leonard without leaving openings because of his supreme skill. As we all know Pryor (while very skilled as well in many ways) was much more open and unbalanced coming in. I personally can't see a peak Leonard not capitalising on this. He wouldn't be too concerned with Pryor's attack to mount his own effectively. He would be looking for those openings and be prepared to take a punch if need be to capitalise on them.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
I think Pryor would've pushed Leonard to the limit. He would've kept on the ropes for much of the fight. Pryor had the tenacity to give SRL hell in much the same manner as Duran. What Aaron unfortunately didn't have was the defensive abilities to make Ray miss. Which is why Pryor would be winning for most of the fight...but not win the fight. As much hell as he would give Ray, Pryor would ultimately catch one too many punches. I see him gassing out somewhere in rounds 13-15.
I can't see him taking those punches for 13-15 rds. I don't think this would go past 5.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
TAC602
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
Different peaks at different weights. Pryor wasn't the guy he was at 140 when he moved up and Leonard is the greatest WW of recent times. Pryor would've been beaten soundly though it would've been an interesting fight while it lasts. I doubt it would last long. To also add to what others said, Pryor thought he was higher than his actually worth and Leonard had a time off because of a detatched retina. He then comes back and beats a faded but still capable Hagler....that guy was great. Fighters nowadays have nothing, NOTHING on SRL.
+1

If Leonard had fought Pryor, he'd drive people even more batshit insane.

As it is, he beat 3 Hall of Famers and a fourth lineal champion in a higher weight class over a span of 22 months. Combined record at time he beat them: 178-1-1.

Most fighters will spend careers failing to accomplish what Leonard did inside two years. Hagler's a cherry on top. Lalonde is almost insignifcant by comparison even though SRL had a signature comeback and beat the brakes off him.
TAC602 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum