Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Do you expect Rua to be suffering after-effects (Griffin) or top form (Machida 2)?

Rua is recovering from knee surgery.

Do you expect him to be under par on account of this like he was against Forrest Griffin, or do you expect him to be in rampaging top form, like he was in the Machida rematch?

Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Default Re: Do you expect Rua to be suffering after-effects (Griffin) or top form (Machida 2)

I hope top form. They delayed the Evans fight so they would be sure he is in good shape so I'm sure he should be.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: Do you expect Rua to be suffering after-effects (Griffin) or top form (Machida 2)

My heart wants Rua to tear Jones a new one. But im not seeing it. The PRIDE version of Rua is long long gone.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I would love Rua to smash Jones up, but despite being on form (rusty probably, but I expect Shogun to be fresh and healthy) he doesn't have the same reflexes he once had, and this doesn't favour him stylistically either. One of the main attacks in his arsenal outlawed in the UFC, and having broken down after numerous wars, he isn't the same fighter any more.

Jones will probably walk through him. Then the hype train will be so bad, and he will be even more snug than he is now.

I think then I will turn on him. He's starting to annoy me already, before the Bader win I thought he was cool. But he's actually a bit of a dweeb.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Top form today
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I think then I will turn on him. He's starting to annoy me already, before the Bader win I thought he was cool. But he's actually a bit of a dweeb.
I agree, I liked him before. Now he is signing autographs as "The Champ" before the fight and talking about how he is the best Shogun has faced and blah blah blah. I think he is starting to believe his own hype and thats a huge turn off for me, arrogance.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

I expect Shogun to be in top form.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'd love to see a vintage Shogun, but I don't think we will.

When he's come back from layoffs/injuries/surgeries in the past he hasn't looked good.

Jon Jones is a hard style match-up too.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I thin it is hard to judge really. I mean in the two fights ere he gassed badly, Coleman threw everything he had in that 1st round an defending takedowns against a guy like that is exhausting. And Forrest is relentless and just broke him down with his activity

Now the fights against Machida could be misleading. Lyoto is exactly a pressure fighter and there were moments in that where Shogun could catch his breath whilst Machida was utilising his 'elusive' style

But I guess we'll find out tonight
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
TheUnstoppable
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Todays Rua is better than the Pride version; he has an EXCELLENT team behind him and has become more and more rounded, at the same time as incresing his quality in his good areas. He's the best striker in his division and has arguably the best leg kicks in the sport (if not then he's top 3). He's great off his back with a very agile and active guard. He's strong, agile and incredibly experienced - he's still very young too.

Machida was an enigma - he never even lost a round on route to his perfect record; Rua smashed him up, got robbed, then flattened him in a rematch.

Edit: he came off surgery for the Machida fights so um .. I dunno why so many people read into the surgery so much.
TheUnstoppable is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
snakey112
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I hope hes like he was in the machida 2 fight, aparrently his heart rate was ridiculously low for that fight, like near tour de france level
snakey112 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
snakey112
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I would love Rua to smash Jones up, but despite being on form (rusty probably, but I expect Shogun to be fresh and healthy) he doesn't have the same reflexes he once had, and this doesn't favour him stylistically either. One of the main attacks in his arsenal outlawed in the UFC, and having broken down after numerous wars, he isn't the same fighter any more.

Jones will probably walk through him. Then the hype train will be so bad, and he will be even more snug than he is now.

he's annoying me, he's so smug and thinks he's just plain better than other people, he thinks he's the ****ing messiah or something
snakey112 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnstoppable View Post
Todays Rua is better than the Pride version; he has an EXCELLENT team behind him and has become more and more rounded, at the same time as incresing his quality in his good areas. He's the best striker in his division and has arguably the best leg kicks in the sport (if not then he's top 3). He's great off his back with a very agile and active guard. He's strong, agile and incredibly experienced - he's still very young too.

Machida was an enigma - he never even lost a round on route to his perfect record; Rua smashed him up, got robbed, then flattened him in a rematch.

Edit: he came off surgery for the Machida fights so um .. I dunno why so many people read into the surgery so much.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I hope top form. They delayed the Evans fight so they would be sure he is in good shape so I'm sure he should be.
This ^

A top form Rua is the best MMA fighter to watch IMO, a lethal bastard with excellent technique... Im obviously hoping he is at his best because he`s my fav fighter currently & I reall do feel he needs to be for this fight.

I dont think we`ll ever see the Rua of Griffin or Coleman show up again tbh, those fights were a true wake up call for Shogun but if he isnt on top form then he will lose tonight... if the Rua of Chuck-Machida II shows up, Rua all the way, probably by 4 rd stoppage - tho I did bet on Rua point win just because the odds were 11/2.

I`ll be able to tell by his movements like I could in the Chuck fight, I told people the old Rua had his groove back but I was told Chuck was past prime & not to exaggerate... I`ll be able to tell in the 1st minute if Rua is 100% & it wont have anything to d with what his opponent is doing.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
My heart wants Rua to tear Jones a new one. But im not seeing it. The PRIDE version of Rua is long long gone.
Based on what recent evidence ?

The only difference I seen in his last 3 fights to his pride days was the fact he wasnt stomping on their heads, his best weapons are restricted in the ufc but he looks just as smooth & good within those rules.... bring back pride rules & I gaurantee you will see no difference in Rua, if anything he is a little more astute defensively these days.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum