Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Jon Jones: I'm Alistair Overeem with better wrestling, better jiu-jitsu

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) may believe he's faced opponents of similar stature to Jon Jones (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC). He may think he had no problems getting inside their long limbs and chopping away with kicks and punches.

But he'd be wrong, according to Jones.

The challenger said he's a better version of two opponents Cyrille "The Snake" Diabate and Alistair Overeem to which Rua has compared him in the buildup to their meeting at UFC 128, which takes place Saturday at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Rua could claim otherwise until the dust clears from his first title defense. He iced the pair in question as a 23-year-old in the heyday of PRIDE. They both were longer than him and seasoned strikers in their own right, and it mattered little when matched against his intensity.

Now Jones is in Rua's place as a 23-year-old who's shot up the ranks with a freewheeling and aggressive style. The champ is now 29 years old, but he hasn't lost much of the intensity that made him a breakout star.

Interesting... Looks like Jones really DOES believe all the smoke blown up his ass. Overeem with better BJJ? REALLY?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Jon Jones: I'm Alistair Overeem with better wrestling, better jiu-jitsu

big fan but, i doubt his striking can compare to overeems.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: Jon Jones: I'm Alistair Overeem with better wrestling, better jiu-jitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBeast View Post
big fan but, i doubt his striking can compare to overeems.
Forget about his striking! Even his BJJ doesn't compare. Overeem was an ADCC Euro Trials champ. Overeem has excellent BJJ. But apparently Jones knows better?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member

Jon jones u tit! You throw a flashy spinin back elbow and think your a muay thai wrecking machine you twat! Your kicks are shit and you've never thrown a punch combo!
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i never really liked jones, didnt really know why but he has now given me an excuse, hes a cunt
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The hype went to his head pretty quick, didn't it?
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

hahaha wow, I knew this twat was starting to believe his own hype. This is ridicules. He has better wrestling then Overeem and Diabate but striking? Really? Is he THIS arrogant? Man I really hope he losses now.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

People are reading too much into this and making their own conclusions. I never saw him say he's a better striker than Overeem. He was comparing himself to the Overeem that Shogun fought in Pride based on size and length only. He's saying that he's similar in stature to that guy, but has better wrestling and BJJ.

I'm sure the reporter asked, "You look like the Overeem that Shogun beat. What can you do to have a better outcome?"

And would you expect Jones to say, "Nothing. I'm way worse and will get killed," or try to say what he thinks he's better than Overeem at?

I like Shogun, but I think there is some serious nuthugging going on in the MMA world. And that nuthugging is making people see a villain in Jones that's not really there.
Tko4 is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4 View Post
People are reading too much into this and making their own conclusions. I never saw him say he's a better striker than Overeem. He was comparing himself to the Overeem that Shogun fought in Pride based on size and length only. He's saying that he's similar in stature to that guy, but has better wrestling and BJJ.

I'm sure the reporter asked, "You look like the Overeem that Shogun beat. What can you do to have a better outcome?"

And would you expect Jones to say, "Nothing. I'm way worse and will get killed," or try to say what he thinks he's better than Overeem at?

I like Shogun, but I think there is some serious nuthugging going on in the MMA world. And that nuthugging is making people see a villain in Jones that's not really there.
When you explain it that way, how am I supposed to hate this guy now?
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The original poster has made a real goose of himself once again.......... The silly cunts still living in the pride past.
kel is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Forget about his striking! Even his BJJ doesn't compare. Overeem was an ADCC Euro Trials champ. Overeem has excellent BJJ. But apparently Jones knows better?

Run along now Jigger, the adults are talking....... sound familiar Mr know it all?

Prides over, go hang yourself.
kel is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
demzor
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1363

Some people refuse to acknowledge the game has changed.

Jones treated Shogun like he has treated the rest of his victims. Like a child.

Keep hyping up the biggest sham of a "champion" in mma, Alistair Overeem.

Ignore the guys who are changing the game
demzor is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by demzor View Post

Some people refuse to acknowledge the game has changed.

Jones treated Shogun like he has treated the rest of his victims. Like a child.

Keep hyping up the biggest sham of a "champion" in mma, Alistair Overeem.

Ignore the guys who are changing the game
He punched him with a liver shot and then kneed him in the face. Thats a great combo to knock anybody out.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post

UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) may believe he's faced opponents of similar stature to Jon Jones (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC). He may think he had no problems getting inside their long limbs and chopping away with kicks and punches.

But he'd be wrong, according to Jones.

The challenger said he's a better version of two opponents Cyrille "The Snake" Diabate and Alistair Overeem to which Rua has compared him in the buildup to their meeting at UFC 128, which takes place Saturday at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Rua could claim otherwise until the dust clears from his first title defense. He iced the pair in question as a 23-year-old in the heyday of PRIDE. They both were longer than him and seasoned strikers in their own right, and it mattered little when matched against his intensity.

Now Jones is in Rua's place as a 23-year-old who's shot up the ranks with a freewheeling and aggressive style. The champ is now 29 years old, but he hasn't lost much of the intensity that made him a breakout star.

Interesting... Looks like Jones really DOES believe all the smoke blown up his ass. Overeem with better BJJ? REALLY?
Looks like someone made a horse's arse of themselves

Again
latineg is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post
Looks like someone made a horse's arse of themselves

Again
Thanks for the heads up. Il let MMA Junkie know that they need to close up shop.
Ignore lists perform a wonderful job. Every once in a blue moon i click on one of your bullshit posts just in case you have something of worth to add to a thread.... Alas nothing changes.... Same meat different gravy.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum