Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default My thoughts on Jones vs Shogun

I'm not really in the mood to write a long spiel on this, as I'm too depressed about Shogun losing so badly.

Here are my thoughts in brief:

- Jones is pretty much the real deal. When Shogun was hurt near the end, Jones hit him with an excellent bodyshot to send him down. As first and foremost a boxing fan, I always think that MMA fighters neglect the body. That bodyshot told me that Jones is a cerebral, composed, varied fighter, as he threw it at the right moment, with good technique, and with maximum impact. Impressive.

- I still think that Shogun gives him a much, much sterner test 2-3 fights down the road for him. In retrospect, it was silly to expect him to cope with a physical phenom like Jones in his first fight back from knee surgery when we have clearly seen how coming off such surgery has affected Rua before.

Last night Shogun (a) wasn't kicking, (b) was just lazily winging his punches, and (c) seemed to tire very early.

Give him a couple of fights, and then we'll see the real Shogun again, same as he showed vs Liddell not long after fighting Forrest. And then Jones will have his test.

- What the hell is the point of giving Rashad Evans a shot at the title?! The guy's legs turned to jelly after Rampage clipped him with an innocuous, grazing punch - and how he's going to compete with a guy who has a 84.5in reach, and brutal kicks and punches??

Dana, this fight is a fail.

Rashad doesn't even deserve a title shot anyway. Machida embarrassed him, and then he scored back-to-back points wins over Thiago Silva (wrecked in about 90secs by Machida) and a toothless, tired, rustier-than-the-Titanic version of Rampage.

- If Machida is impressive against Couture (which he will be), I'd like to see him get the first shot against Jones around about August. The Rampage decision was a bad joke, Machida clearly won the fight. In addition to that, he decapitated Sugar Rashad.

Machida is the only guy I can think of, other than Rua once he is back to full fitness, who might give Jones a tricky evening, purely because Machida brings something different to the table than all the other light-heavys. His elusiveness and incisiveness off the back foot might be just what is needed to penetrate Jones's defence. It would be a much, much more intriguing fight than Jones KO1 Rashad which will 100% be the outcome.

- Anyone else looking forward to when Jones moves to heavyweight? The guy clearly has the dimensions for it, he absolutely dwarved Rua, who is himself a tank of a lightheavyweight. Jones will grow to be a 235-245lbs heavyweight in time, and by that time hopefully the likes of Alistair Overeem will be joining Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos in the UFC!

- Well done Bones Jones. You proved me wrong. Looking forward to Jones-Rua II though next year.

Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: My thoughts on Jones vs Shogun

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

De crow taste goooood?!?!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post

slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
SomeGuy101
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1383

Quote:

Lol you just got exposed Popkins. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Rua never beats him as a boxing fan (but clearly not a knowledgable one) you should know styles make fights but you keep dreaming of Rua winning that rematch bro in fact heck! Why don't you lay your pinkslip on it bro!
SomeGuy101 is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I thought Rua would walk Jones down, and knock him out, just saw round 2 and man Jones looks a fighter.

P.S This is Jones first real top level win, there are other fighters for him to face, and his needs to string together consecutive wins to show he is the best.

With the aquisation of Strikeforce

The potential matchups for Jones-

R. Jackson
R. Evans
L. Machida
R. Couture
M. Lawal
M. Moussai
A. Silva

Looks interesting
Black2023 is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black2023 View Post
With the aquisation of Strikeforce

The potential matchups for Jones-

R. Jackson
R. Evans
L. Machida
R. Couture
M. Lawal
M. Moussai
A. Silva

Looks interesting
Hendo...
Shogun Assassin is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That fight gave a sickening feeling, like the first time I was watching tyson fight. Jim Jones is a freak, savage violent fighter.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

The thing is this is almost akin to the old PRIDE vs UFC arguments in that if this was in a ring under PRIDE rules and this was a prime Shogun the fight would have been VERY different.

That said Jones would still have been a stylistic nightmare for Rua.
The problems Rua had were multiple knee ops. The unified rules which took away key aspects of the Chute Boxe style namely foot stomps, soccer kicks, and knee's to a downed opponent. Even in the ring prime Rua used alot of flashy Capoeria techniques because the ring allows you the space to do that. In the octagon he looses almost everything that was effective about his style as well as the mounting career injury's that put him at an immediate disadvantage.
This for me was the sole reason why i had Jones as an over whelming favourite. The unified rules suit him perfectly. In addition he is by far one of the biggest light heavys ever in the history of this sport. He has such a unique blend of wrestling and unorthodox striking with oodles of natural physical talents that i truly dont see how anyone can beat him.
Jone's doesn't though represent further evolution of MMA. Im tired of hearing that oft used line. Great wrestling? Elbows? Yeah we've seen that before....
What he is though is a physical freak of nature and a unique prototype that wont be replicated for a long long time.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
Hendo...
Good call dude! Matter of fact great call. Henderson with his great beard, excellent Greco Roman, and deadly power in either fist would represent a VERY interesting challenge to Jones even at his age. It's not a fight im expecting any time soon though as the UFC will build Jones into their new star.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
That fight gave a sickening feeling, like the first time I was watching tyson fight. Jim Jones is a freak, savage violent fighter.
You mean Jim Jones from the Diplomats?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Good call dude! Matter of fact great call. Henderson with his great beard, excellent Greco Roman, and deadly power in either fist would represent a VERY interesting challenge to Jones even at his age. It's not a fight im expecting any time soon though as the UFC will build Jones into their new star.
He won't be beat for a while IMO. Does seem to be very well-rounded, yet unorthodox and freakish as well. And athletic.

He annoys me, he's a real dick, right up his own arse but acting very inoffensive.

Maybe Phil Davis has showed the potential to be a viable threat for him down the line? I imagine he'll be fed Rashad, Machida (assuming he beats Randy) and Rampage. For the next year/18 months at least I think he'll seem pretty near untouchable.

What of him still fighting regularly? Think he'll be protected or maintain a healthy workrate if he keeps rolling over guys?

I'm not a massive fan, but am I talking absolute 'just after the fight' bollocks when I say I'm very intrigued to see Jones when he eventually makes the move to Heavyweight?
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Im not sure if Jones will ever move to heavy. Although he has the frame to carry the extra weight he makes 205 very easily. Good call on Phil Davis though. He's another one of these prototypical Light Heavy freaks. Is it me or does Jones have that same Sakurba ingenuity? He just makes shit up as he goes along. And its soo effective.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

What can I say? I have to eat it. I was wrong. Jones is a better striker than I thought he was. I don't think that was 100% Rua by any means, but Jones was still superb, still deserved his victory, is still the rightful champion, and still made me much a whole load of crow this morning.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy101 View Post
Lol you just got exposed Popkins. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Rua never beats him as a boxing fan (but clearly not a knowledgable one) you should know styles make fights but you keep dreaming of Rua winning that rematch bro in fact heck! Why don't you lay your pinkslip on it bro!
Roast in hell you disgusting retarded troll with a warty dwarf dick.

Rua never beats him?

Yeah, that's a solid point, considering Rua's success is built on his kicks and he didn't throw any kicks last night.

Nowhere have I said that today that a fully fit Rua beats Jones, but I have said and will continue to say that he gives him a much better fight and a much sterner test.

The Rua who fought Griffin was patently not the same Rua who knocked out Machida.

I believe that the Rua who fought Jones will not be the same Rua who rematches Jones a few fights down the line.

I look forward to the rematch, very much so. Will be a much more exciting fight than last night, which was a domination job.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
SomeGuy101
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Roast in hell you disgusting retarded troll with a warty dwarf dick.

Rua never beats him?

Yeah, that's a solid point, considering Rua's success is built on his kicks and he didn't throw any kicks last night.

Nowhere have I said that today that a fully fit Rua beats Jones, but I have said and will continue to say that he gives him a much better fight and a much sterner test.

The Rua who fought Griffin was patently not the same Rua who knocked out Machida.

I believe that the Rua who fought Jones will not be the same Rua who rematches Jones a few fights down the line.

I look forward to the rematch, very much so. Will be a much more exciting fight than last night, which was a domination job.
If if if. If I'd have picked the right numbers I would have won last night's lottery as well.

Tuck in!
SomeGuy101 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum