Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #46
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs Rocky Marciano, primes

Jerry hangs tough for about 6-7 rds then Rocky closes the show.
BUDW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #47
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it looks like the Frazier fights, really.

Quarry has a bit of success in the first round or two, as he's the slicker, faster guy, but the more and more Rocky gets in at him, the more damage will accumulate, Quarry's face falls apart, so does his composure, and he gets stopped around the 8th.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #48
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
I think it looks like the Frazier fights, really.

Quarry has a bit of success in the first round or two, as he's the slicker, faster guy, but the more and more Rocky gets in at him, the more damage will accumulate, Quarry's face falls apart, so does his composure, and he gets stopped around the 8th.
I think Frazier would kill Marciano by round 8 in an epic battle of willpower and grit..... Marciano never fought a raging bull as big (207) as Frazier with a non-stop attack who owned a wicked hook and underrated chopping right...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #49
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I got "Quarry-Lyle" from New York rolling right now.... Marciano of '53 would have his hands full with these two mothers of the early '70s...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #50
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOliverKlozoff View Post
Yep, Layne took one big right, didn't get up.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Matthews, technically two left hooks and you couldn't say if it ends without both but you can see the one-punch power is big and he doesn't make the count. This is two punches in the second round, not some bludgeoning, grind you down affair but vicious quick work from a two-fisted power puncher. That's not Quarry.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yes.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #51
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I got "Quarry-Lyle" from New York rolling right now.... Marciano of '53 would have his hands full with these two mothers of the early '70s...

MR.BILL
you are really underestimating the guy.....Marciano a different breed
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #52
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think Frazier would kill Marciano by round 8 in an epic battle of willpower and grit..... Marciano never fought a raging bull as big (207) as Frazier with a non-stop attack who owned a wicked hook and underrated chopping right...

MR.BILL
Bill size is all you see, Marciano was a freak ans despite his size he hit harder than the 5"10 Bonavena or Manual Ramos....Frazier was great but I don't think he stands up to Marciano's power...In fact Frazier said only 2 fighters could have beaten him in his prime Louis and Marciano and he said they both beat Ali as well
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #53
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
you are really underestimating the guy.....Marciano a different breed
Physically, Marciano was an animal.. However, he still was only a hair over 5' 10" tall and a hair under 190 in his prime... Marciano can only excell so far as a heavyweight... In truth, he fits right in tight with the pre-1960 greats, but not so with post-1960 great heavies...

Marciano excelled when greats like Joe Louis were old and Floyd Patterson was still and amateur or green pro... Both Joe Wally & Ezzy Charles were there, but also past their best nights as ringers...

Marciano jumped into the heavyweight picture at the right time and benefitted greatly...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #54
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Bill size is all you see, Marciano was a freak ans despite his size he hit harder than the 5"10 Bonavena or Manual Ramos....Frazier was great but I don't think he stands up to Marciano's power...In fact Frazier said only 2 fighters could have beaten him in his prime Louis and Marciano and he said they both beat Ali as well

Come on, Frazier was just being respectful to Louis and Marciano with that statement.

Frazier would break down Marciano bit by bit and the end (somewhere around the 9th) would be quite brutal. Rocky's best hope against a machine like prime Frazier would be to land something real big real early. Otherwise, he gets ground down.
yancey is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #55
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
And I envision you in a church kneeling at a Marciano alter ...

There are no fans like Marciano fans.

God Bless 'em and may the Rock rest in peace, but I'm afraid he would not have done nearly as well against the greats of the '60s and '70s as they seem to think.
yancey is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #56
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Bum,

I'm age 44, but I'll say it again: "Too many old farts feel Marciano could KO both King Kong and Godzilla on the same night."

Marciano was indeed special for the 1950s and with his average size but, the man is dated, as is his natural size.... Point is, he is no longer worthy of top-10 ATG heavyweight standards.... Not with the monsters with skills who developed after 1960.....

Cheers...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #57
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

MR.BILL
Hard to argue with that, really. I agree with you.

I personally think it would take a bit longer though. Rock had no quit in him.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #58
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Hard to argue with that, really. I agree with you.

I personally think it would take a bit longer though. Rock had no quit in him.
Oh, it would be hard on Frazier, but, I say he gets the job done on Marciano.

Wally's hook was good and hard, yet Marciano got up from the shot in round 1 back in '52...

What if the all-time great hooker 'Joe Frazier' landed a bomb like that early in the fight?

Frazier's hook was harder than Wally's....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #59
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Bum,

I'm age 44, but I'll say it again: "Too many old farts feel Marciano could KO both King Kong and Godzilla on the same night."

Marciano was indeed special for the 1950s and with his average size but, the man is dated, as is his natural size.... Point is, he is no longer worthy of top-10 ATG heavyweight standards.... Not with the monsters with skills who developed after 1960.....

Cheers...

MR.BILL
I think you are wrong you can not have it 2 ways...There is no such thing as a time machine so if you were going to take the heavy's today you would have to train them down to fight 15 rds at a fast pace and you would have to eliminate the muscle training that is really only limited to the big guys today.....There were big guys back in the 20's 40's and 50's and 60's...but other than Jess and Primo, none ever made it to the top...and today other than the well trained Lennox and the Klitschko brothers, there are none that are exceptional

If you want to bring today's guy back you have to train them that way, if you want to bring the guys from the past forward you have to add natural healthy genetic growth that comes from the ages (being bigger than you Dad) and some of the growth formulas today

....I put on 45lbs of muscle and I am still ripped and I used nothing unnatural When I rate the decades I do not go lb for lb and I prefer the training methods of the 40- 50's and 60's and 70's...I was very unimpressed with the training and condition of the 80's and 90's except for a few guys like Tyson,Holmes,Holyfield,Lewis, and a few others but I saw to many lean fests and fat heavy's to think that these guys could last with a Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano or other fit heavyweights of the past.

James Toney was a middleweight who was 5"9 and 38 years old yet he held his own against the top guys of the era at heavyweight until he started eating himself out of the picture, weighing in at almost 240lbs at 5"9

I do not underestimate anyone from the past and time machines do not exist you have to either add or subtract all of the present or all of the past when going forward or backward.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #60
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quarry was a tough guy...BUT.....Marciano was a different animal altogether...exciting while it lasts....but The Rock has too many guns....Marciano by TKO...
RockyJim is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum