Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
jchez444

vCash: 1000
Default Shocking another fight that went to a decision

Now dont get me wrong i respect all disciplines but do you think the UFC can have a fight that actually that doesnt go to a decision. Even the shows first fight was terrible. It was basically one guy who was obviously stronger and a better wrestler then the other so he dry humped him for 2 rounds and hit him with a few donkey punches.

That is the one thing i liked about Strikeforce, they had much more exciting action packed fights then the UFC puts on. HHopefully this seasons turns out pretty good. The fighter who won Shamar looks the part and is obviously physically strong but other then that i dont think he has much of anything else going for him. If he couldnt exploit the weaker german kid, then chances are who wont impress or win this season.
jchez444 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Shocking another fight that went to a decision

Let's look at their last few PPVs.

128 had 5 finishes (all KOs or TKOs) across the 12 fights on the card. Of them, 3 were on the 5 fight main card.

127 had 6 fights that were finished early 2 by (T)KO 4 by submission.

126 also had 6 fights finished early, including the main event. This time with 4 (T)KOs and 2 submissions, including Anderson Silva's spectacular front kick KO over someone who had, to that point never been knocked out.

125, another 5 finishes, including 3 (T)KOs and 2 submissions. The main event went to a draw, but it is already talked about as the fight of the year.

That's just from the PPVs this year, not looking at any of the Fight Night cards (the most recent of which included seven finishes, including a fantastic submission never before seen in the UFC) or the Fight for the Troops (which included 3 first round KOs on the main card).
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

In the beginning I think the fighters want the bonuses and recognition but as they move up the ranks they must realise that losing is too much of a risk. Also, MMA is becoming more and more technical and losing the Fedors and Shoguns who only look to damage and finish the fight.

Primate, when you think there are so many ways to end a fight but roughly 50% of them are ending before the bell then that isn't great odds.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

FFS if the interest existed in 1971 we'd have people bitching about the lack of a finish in Ali-Frazier I
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Primate, when you think there are so many ways to end a fight but roughly 50% of them are ending before the bell then that isn't great odds.
It's pretty hard to finish someone inside of 15 minutes if they know what they're doing (let alone the 10 minutes they get on TUF).

I don't know how accurate this stat is, but I'm going to quote it anyway, from Sherdog:

Overall Finishing Method Statistics
Percentage Submission = 44.84
Percentage KO/TKO = 31.78
Percentage Decision = 18.21
Other (Drawn, NCs, or Unknown) = 5.16
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
It's pretty hard to finish someone inside of 15 minutes if they know what they're doing (let alone the 10 minutes they get on TUF).

I don't know how accurate this stat is, but I'm going to quote it anyway, from Sherdog:

Overall Finishing Method Statistics
Percentage Submission = 44.84
Percentage KO/TKO = 31.78
Percentage Decision = 18.21
Other (Drawn, NCs, or Unknown) = 5.16
Interesting stats.

Fights are more technical now. It's rarer that you can just go in knowing someone doesn't have a clue how to punch, strike, submit, wrestle etc Even if someone like Hardy is absolute shite in comparison to GSP in wrestling, he has developed a decent set of defensive techniques.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dry humping and being a human blanket isnt technical. Some fights are great to watch even if it goes to decision but what you get from the UFC nowdays is far from exciting.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Dry humping and being a human blanket isnt technical. Some fights are great to watch even if it goes to decision but what you get from the UFC nowdays is far from exciting.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

in TUF 1 i remeber someone named diego sanchez
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Interesting stats.

Fights are more technical now. It's rarer that you can just go in knowing someone doesn't have a clue how to punch, strike, submit, wrestle etc Even if someone like Hardy is absolute shite in comparison to GSP in wrestling, he has developed a decent set of defensive techniques.
Indeed. Like I said, finishing someone is not an easy task if they know what they're doing, especially if you've only got 10 or 15 minutes to do it, and you're more concerned with winning safely (as you would be on TUF)

Quote:
Actually, being a blanket is incredibly technical, especially if the guy underneath knows how to get up. Fitch is boring as shit to watch from an entertainment perspective, but his technical grappling is ****ing phenomenal.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Dude if you hate the UFC so much, stop watching. You are bias against anything UFC because of some misguided moral dilemma you have. There will always be fights that go to decision, live with it. As far as top control not being technical, if you think this aspect of MMA is "dry humping" then why do you even watch the sport?? Maybe you'll be better served watching pro wrestling, that way you don't have to boo when the fight goes to the ground. BTW, controlling your opponent from top position, especially when you don't have a huge weight difference can be very technical.
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
jchez444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_j1985 View Post
Dude if you hate the UFC so much, stop watching. You are bias against anything UFC because of some misguided moral dilemma you have. There will always be fights that go to decision, live with it. As far as top control not being technical, if you think this aspect of MMA is "dry humping" then why do you even watch the sport?? Maybe you'll be better served watching pro wrestling, that way you don't have to boo when the fight goes to the ground. BTW, controlling your opponent from top position, especially when you don't have a huge weight difference can be very technical.
YOu mean by technical is laying on top of them with there body weight and the other guy just stay there with making little attempt to try and get up cause he is gassed in 3 minutes.sure he is in good looking shape and has ABS (WOW) but he cant fight hard for 1 round. Ill keep watching in hopes of catching an exciting fight and will post on every fight good or bad. And i didnt think i was going to offend so many people, very sensenative i see. You must be the ones who were the fight shirts and hit a bag here and there so your a MMa guy all of a sudden. If you she some of these fights as exciting and technical then you no $h!t about any combat sport. Yes there are many that are and a whole lot of them are of boring fighters with no stamina. Hence the hump fast. they arent playing for position, he is lying on him cause he is tired. You think you would see that when they get up and proceed to throw some ugly punches with no power then right back to the ground.
jchez444 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchez444 View Post
YOu mean by technical is laying on top of them with there body weight and the other guy just stay there with making little attempt to try and get up cause he is gassed in 3 minutes.sure he is in good looking shape and has ABS (WOW) but he cant fight hard for 1 round. Ill keep watching in hopes of catching an exciting fight and will post on every fight good or bad. And i didnt think i was going to offend so many people, very sensenative i see. You must be the ones who were the fight shirts and hit a bag here and there so your a MMa guy all of a sudden. If you she some of these fights as exciting and technical then you no $h!t about any combat sport. Yes there are many that are and a whole lot of them are of boring fighters with no stamina. Hence the hump fast. they arent playing for position, he is lying on him cause he is tired. You think you would see that when they get up and proceed to throw some ugly punches with no power then right back to the ground.
Well...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wow, certainly proved us all wrong. How can I bring myself to watch such a boring sport ever again?
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchez444 View Post
You're a moron, you can't just "lay on top of someone with your bodyweight", I've had guys who weight much less than me absolutely crush me from sidecontrol because they know the technical aspects like head arm control, low hips etc. If you truly believe he's just laying on top of him and the guy from the bottom can't get out because of bodyweight, then it's YOU who has no idea about combat sport.

I never said that I thought these lay and prey fights were exiting, but to say the guy on top in control is not using technical aspects of wrestling and BJJ and is just laying there is dumb. It takes alot of work to keep that position.
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum