Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Jon Jones analysis

1. Genetics. Massive at the weight, but not carrying any extra, unessesary bulk. Probably hardly has to cut either. With some of the big differences in the weight classes in MMA if you happen to actually be a genuine 205 etc without bulking up or boiling down you will have a good starting point for cardio. He seems to be blessed in that department also probably due to the zen like state he fights in. Almost serene in there, freak.

Long limbs and leverage make him a nightmare to face. He can get TD's easily from any position his first TD against Bader was like a trip with his telescopic arm reaching out and grabbing baders ankle, Rua threw one leg kick and Jones grbbed it without bending at the waist and got the TD. Rua threw his big right that done for Machida early in the first and because Jones was so far on the outside easily ducked it and slammed him. Once on the ground can land KO power shots from guard, he never even really attempted to mount Rua but did massive amounts of damage on the ground. This is unusual.

2. Skills. Beat Bader at wrestling and Rua on the feet. He was dominating Rua on the ground sure but there was quite a lot of stand up in this fight and Jones dominated this also. Some lovely Proper jabs, not MMA style leaping jabs but quick, stiff ramrod jabs. Don't undersestimate the impact they had in not letting Rua be able to get anything off. Plus he finished the fight with a left hook to the body. Top notch stand up, up there with the best. Also has lighting fast front kicks, like leg jabs, but he does all these moves without ever seeming like they are high risk. His size and balance will always get him out of trouble.

Expect the unexpected. Spinning elbows against the fence? Last second knee bar attempts followed by reverse hammer fist to the face? Chin butt to the solar plexus? Where does he dream this shit up. Unpredictable.

3. Mentality. In the biggest fight of his 3 year career against arguably the most dangerous striker at LHW he opens in the first 10 seconds with a flying knee. The biggest factor that Rua had over Jones was experience, if Rua could get in JJ head and make him feel out of his depth he had a real chance of keeping the belt. 10 seconds into the fight Rua is on the back foot and the one full of doubt. Freakish composure/confidence and an ability to understand the importance of the mindest of fighters and the skills to put it in place.

For all his talk about god and catching robbers etc JJ has a real nasty streak. He has a DQ and in his pro debut lands a soccer kick to his downed opponant rib cage after the fight is over. Badass.

23 years of age, 3 years in the game, dominated everyone he has ever faced. Yougest ever UFC champion in historically one of the tougest divisions. Improving all the time. Humble, hard working and diligent: Jon Jones, the new bench mark.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750
Default Re: Jon Jones analysis

The only weakness I see in John Jones, which Rashad Evan's could exploit, or Machida, is his striking ability. Jon Jones has good striking in some ways, in that he throws non telegraphed punches and kicks, but he only throws one punch at a time usually, and he sometimes ends up out of position after he punches.

Machida could exploit any mistake like that and knock him out. Machida has some of the best timing I've ever seen. Also Machida (unlike Jones) knows how to throw decoys to mask his intentions until the last possible moment. You cannot look at his footwork or his anything and figure out what he will do, and sometimes he will throw a kick or punch to set up another punch.

Evans does it too. When he knocked out Chuck Liddell. He used a Bernard Hopkins tactic where he threw out a decoy or setup punch to blind the attacker. This is what Jon Jones needs to master to improve his striking, that and a bit more head movement and he will be a master striker.

He needs to try using his height to develop a good jab, this will help him mask his combinations. His jab right now is decent when he throws it but he has to set up his punches more and I see him knocking guys out Anderson Silva style within seconds. His liver punch and knee combination to finish Shogun was brilliant, but he could have finished the fight with that combination at any time if he would have set that up and timed Shogun using his jab.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmaster View Post
The only weakness I see in John Jones, which Rashad Evan's could exploit, or Machida, is his striking ability. Jon Jones has good striking in some ways, in that he throws non telegraphed punches and kicks, but he only throws one punch at a time usually, and he sometimes ends up out of position after he punches.

He throws some of the best one shot punches and well thought out combos ive seen. His elbows are the best since David Loiseau, even better. And this fight also shows he can kick.

What did Shogun said? "His Muay Thai is very good". Apparently better than his own MT which is great.

The fighter thats going to beat Jones is a fighter whos skillset and dynamic qualities are better than him. So far we havent seen that, in a p4p sense, Aldo probably comes the closest but even him cannot dissect and dismantle tough opposition the way Bones has.

No one is unbeatable, someone can get a lucky shot ala GSP, but I can assure you whoever that is will get beaten 9 out of 10 times.

Also, that explosion to finish Shogun off, is the greatest sequence of finishing of opponent I have ever seen. Just when you think he was tired, then Boom!

Last edited by chimba; 03-21-2011 at 10:15 AM.
chimba is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmaster View Post

Machida could exploit any mistake like that and knock him out. Machida has some of the best timing I've ever seen. Also Machida (unlike Jones) knows how to throw decoys to mask his intentions until the last possible moment. You cannot look at his footwork or his anything and figure out what he will do, and sometimes he will throw a kick or punch to set up another punch.

Evans does it too. When he knocked out Chuck Liddell. He used a Bernard Hopkins tactic where he threw out a decoy or setup punch to blind the attacker. This is what Jon Jones needs to master to improve his striking, that and a bit more head movement and he will be a master striker.

He needs to try using his height to develop a good jab, this will help him mask his combinations. His jab right now is decent when he throws it but he has to set up his punches more and I see him knocking guys out Anderson Silva style within seconds. His liver punch and knee combination to finish Shogun was brilliant, but he could have finished the fight with that combination at any time if he would have set that up and timed Shogun using his jab.
I don't know about that. He may not be the greatest combo thrower but that is why he is always on the outside. If Machida is close enough to hit Jones he is probably gonna be taken down. People always talk about well rounded fighters and Jones is this. Effective on the outside, effective in the clinch, effective at TD's and brutal on the ground. For machida to have a chance JJ will have to be doing something wrong rather than Machida doing something right if that makes sense.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hmmmm this is either a case of Emilianekomonia or Roganis Parrotothemia. Dr Stoo is undecided 4
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Hmmmm this is either a case of Emilianekomonia or Roganis Parrotothemia. Dr Stoo is undecided 4
What?
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Medical terms my dear fellow.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

maybe you should spend less time dreaming up Stoo-pid shit and more time telling your boy Rua not to worry about 'a grazing spinning strike'
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
maybe you should spend less time dreaming up Stoo-pid shit and more time telling your boy Rua not to worry about 'a grazing spinning strike'
Ahhh another display of Emilianekomonia
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ahhh another display of Emilianekomonia
Classic !

Twat.

Reason for editing:
Stoo is a twat
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This is worse than I thought. Now you seem to have caught Moronic Plague, which is most common in the lower IQ inhabtants of the ESB General forum

Would you like a detailed description of my diagnosis?

Last edited by Stoo; 03-21-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: More exstensive diagnosis
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't know about that. He may not be the greatest combo thrower but that is why he is always on the outside. If Machida is close enough to hit Jones he is probably gonna be taken down. People always talk about well rounded fighters and Jones is this. Effective on the outside, effective in the clinch, effective at TD's and brutal on the ground. For machida to have a chance JJ will have to be doing something wrong rather than Machida doing something right if that makes sense.

Machida is well rounded as well. The only weakness Machida has is his chin. Jones hasn't been tested in the chin dept yet. I think Machida has better footwork, better timing, better counter punching and striking than Jones, but Jones has that insane reach, and ridiculous physical capabilities. He reminds me of a prime Roy Jones Jr. Machida is more like a Mayweather, perfect technical skills, hard to hit, perfect timing.

I think Machida is the one fighter who could beat Jones and only on experience and only if Jones tries those flashy moves (Machida has the timing to counter some of it). Rashad could beat Jones if Jones brawls and tries to trade punches, which I don't think he would do but it could happen if its a standup battle. On the ground Jones would tear them both apart.

Silva could also beat Jones, if he doesn't get old overnight. Jones has all the physical talent in the world, the most talented fighter I've ever seen. But this alone isn't going to get victories on the elite level. He has to also start putting his combos together and while he has good striking for one punch, he has to rely on more than just his reach because eventually someone is going to test his chin.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jonny Bones can throw combos, but his problem is he seems to get tired quickly. He has to keep his fights short in my opinion. He can do this by actually knocking people out with his striking, or to at least create the threat of a KO at any moment. If he can do this he will be as dangerous as Anderson Silva.

Right now he is great, but his boxing wasn't as strong or as technically brilliant as it should be. He is basically doing like what Wlad and Vitali do, relying on reach to beat guys. The problem is eventually he is going to fight a guy who has no fear of him, and who will know how to neutralize his reach using timing and technical skills. I predict Machida has all the right skills to actually land on Jones. I'm not saying I know who would win, but I'm saying if it were a striking match, Machida definitely wins.

If it goes to the ground, Jones definitely wins. Jones beat Rua mostly on the ground. Rua had got the pulp beaten out of him on the ground and when he finally stoop up again he had nothing left and Jones finished him off with that brilliant liver shot knee combo. I'm saying Jones could have or should have set that combo up behind a jab and the fight would have ended sooner.

Watch Anderson Silva in his prime, how he would set up his KO's, or even watch Fedor. Setups are essential to getting KO's and keeping fights short, because I don't think Jones will win if the fight goes 5 rounds against Machida or Rashad.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-bakW4OQRM[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYJc1OkttY[/ame]
See what I'm seeing? Timing, technique, strategy.
That is what it takes to beat someone physically and athletically superior. Floyd uses this all the time, as does Hopkins.

Last edited by Boxmaster; 03-21-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum