Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Should Ezzard Charles be regarded as one of the greatest punchers?

Think of Ray Robinson first, where he rates as a puncher and why. Then move onto Charles.

What do you think?
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Should Ezzard Charles be regarded as one of the greatest punchers?

Nope, although he was a great one and underrated. My reason is that in MOST of the footage we have he doesn't demonstrate excellence in two big things that define a GOAT level puncher:
-He doesn't score knockdowns or knockouts with body punching. He has a good right hand to the body, but we don't see him pinpointing the liver or plexus or heart or ribs with devastating effect.

-He cautiously opens up to finish and waits for openings rather than forcing them open by strength like a lot of the most devastating punchers do. Ezzard was great at feinting and subtly probing for openings. It's understandable- he's not a clubbing puncher but a sharp, quick one. I don't know whether he had the raw power for this approach.

If robinson is on the puncher side of boxer-puncher, than charles is on the boxer side. Maybe if we had more MW/LHW footage we could argue a better case for him as a puncher since he seemed to be a good deal more aggressive, but the Charles we know isn't that kind of operator.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
Nope, although he was a great one and underrated. My reason is that in MOST of the footage we have he doesn't demonstrate excellence in two big things that define a GOAT level puncher:
-He doesn't score knockdowns or knockouts with body punching. He has a good right hand to the body, but we don't see him pinpointing the liver or plexus or heart or ribs with devastating effect.

-He cautiously opens up to finish and waits for openings rather than forcing them open by strength like a lot of the most devastating punchers do. Ezzard was great at feinting and subtly probing for openings. It's understandable- he's not a clubbing puncher but a sharp, quick one. I don't know whether he had the raw power for this approach.

If robinson is on the puncher side of boxer-puncher, than charles is on the boxer side. Maybe if we had more MW/LHW footage we could argue a better case for him as a puncher since he seemed to be a good deal more aggressive, but the Charles we know isn't that kind of operator.
Both of those points are quite strange. On the second one, I'd like to point out that a great puncher doesn't have to play that card in every fight*; to rank up with the best he just has to have that potential within him, like Ike Williams. Charles was able to pull a punch from nowhere; Moore, Valentino, Satterfield... Charles was actually a very, very damaging fighter. Look at Marciano, Layne and Baksi.

*In contrast to this, I rate Henry Armstrong in the top three (no lower) because of his brutal consistency in his prime.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Charles had underrated power and so did SRR, they had the same type of one-punch power and yet many of there fights went the limit because of there abilities to box....While both men do not come to mind when I think of punchers because of their additional skills I would have to say they were punchers indeed
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Both of those points are quite strange. On the second one, I'd like to point out that a great puncher doesn't have to play that card in every fight*; to rank up with the best he just has to have that potential within him, like Ike Williams. Charles was able to pull a punch from nowhere; Moore, Valentino, Satterfield... Charles was actually a very, very damaging fighter. Look at Marciano, Layne and Baksi.

*In contrast to this, I rate Henry Armstrong in the top three (no lower) because of his brutal consistency in his prime.
I'm not saying that Ezzard isn't great or that he lacked the ability; i'm saying that i think the greatest punchers frequently or primarily exhibit a mentality and strategy of landing a big punch or breaking a man down. I don't think charles does.

If you read A.J. Liebling's The Sweet Science(and if you haven't get on that), there's a section detailing Charles and Marciano both receive sessions with a psychiatrist as a part of pre-fight hype...The psychiatrist hypothesizes that Ezzard's personality is split in finishing mentality or killer instinct; that he simultaneously dislikes the brutality and primitive side of prize fighting, but also has a bloodthirsty dominant killer instint at the same time. Obviously that psychiatrist's experience with Charles' psyche and his career is limited, but I think that he proves a point in that Ezzard's technique and style varied with his mood, mentality, opponent and goal. He wasn't a killer with knockout in his mind all the time.

I don't see what's so strange about judging someone's quality as a puncher on the perceived results of their body punching. Am I wrong about Ezzard's body work? Does he have any overlooked displays here, in accounts or film?
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
I'm not saying that Ezzard isn't great or that he lacked the ability; i'm saying that i think the greatest punchers frequently or primarily exhibit a mentality and strategy of landing a big punch or breaking a man down. I don't think charles does.

If you read A.J. Liebling's The Sweet Science(and if you haven't get on that), there's a section detailing Charles and Marciano both receive sessions with a psychiatrist as a part of pre-fight hype...The psychiatrist hypothesizes that Ezzard's personality is split in finishing mentality or killer instinct; that he simultaneously dislikes the brutality and primitive side of prize fighting, but also has a bloodthirsty dominant killer instint at the same time. Obviously that psychiatrist's experience with Charles' psyche and his career is limited, but I think that he proves a point in that Ezzard's technique and style varied with his mood, mentality, opponent and goal. He wasn't a killer with knockout in his mind all the time.

I don't see what's so strange about judging someone's quality as a puncher on the perceived results of their body punching. Am I wrong about Ezzard's body work? Does he have any overlooked displays here, in accounts or film?
Charles knocked out Lloyd Marshall with a left hook to the body in 1946

On the notion that Charles was not a killer (hmm), you may be right about it depending on his mood. Some knockouts, not all, from his later career show less instinctual finishing, but then, he still had the potential and demonstrated it against numerous opponents previous. Ike Williams, for various reasons, didn't register a great knockout percentage, but in full flight he was the most devastating fighter I've ever seen. Can't count him out.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think the case can be made.

Charles was able to outbox the better boxers of his era but he could still outslug much bigger heavyweights.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Definitely, reading reports of him as a Middleweight and a Light-Heavyweight he really could bang, often turning a fight around, or ending it, in one punch.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

I've allways understood the nose split was caused by a wayward elbow.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

...when he was fighting light heavyweights nat fleischer said he was the hardest puncher and "most dangerous fighter in the ring today."

..nat was correct.
albinored is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Think of Ray Robinson first, where he rates as a puncher and why. Then move onto Charles.

What do you think?
Combinations and accuracy? YES! Charles was great... Power? So-So at 200 pounds... That's fair...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Charles, one of the greatest punchers? I say no.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Absolutely! As heavyweight champ he scored some devastating and picturesque ko's and of course the was the Boroudi fight...as well as his brutal ko of Archie Moore.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

technique, accuracy, combination fluidity, speed of hand and choice of punch all bode well for charles. perhaps he lacks the power of the truly great punchers such as louis and robinson. he's certainly up there though.
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Charles was a magnificent fighter and puncher.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum