Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Can people please shut up about Freddie Roach

Everywhere i go in the MMA forum people say "he needs to improve his stand up he should train with freddie roach""After training with Roach hell be a beast" etc etc. For one thing do you think Freddie Roach is the only good boxing trainer out there??? In between pacquaio khan and others do you think he has the time to dedicate to any other fighters??? What about Emmanuel Steward or how about the hundreds of other trainers out there who have trained champs but dont seem to get anywhere near the same publicity. Im not saying hes not good hes a great trainer but do people think he created Pacquaio himself??

Anyway of course punches are a very important aspect to MMA but so are kicks something a boxing trainer will likely know nothing about. Furthermore, due to the size of gloves and all the other aspects of fighting in MMA ie. takedowns, kicks. punches are thrown in a completely different way. Just because GSP managed to use a good stiff jab to dominate a fight and possibly improved his punching under roach doesnt mean itll help in all fights or that every fighter will be able to learn and then incorporate it into their fighting style.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
smbsmd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1222
Default Re: Can people please shut up about Freddie Roach

I am going to train with Freddie Roach and kick your ass for that post )
smbsmd is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

One two Freddies commin for you

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsmd View Post
I am going to train with Freddie Roach and kick your ass for that post )
i didnt think this through
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
whuiron1
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 157

yeah ok mate
whuiron1 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Can we please keep Manny Steward away from Jon Jones? I mean I love Lennox and Wlad but the thought of him looking at Jones reach and having him fight behind the jab makes me very sad.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

What Roach and Steward teach in boxing is excellent for MMA.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Everywhere i go in the MMA forum people say "he needs to improve his stand up he should train with freddie roach""After training with Roach hell be a beast" etc etc. For one thing do you think Freddie Roach is the only good boxing trainer out there??? In between pacquaio khan and others do you think he has the time to dedicate to any other fighters??? What about Emmanuel Steward or how about the hundreds of other trainers out there who have trained champs but dont seem to get anywhere near the same publicity. Im not saying hes not good hes a great trainer but do people think he created Pacquaio himself??

Anyway of course punches are a very important aspect to MMA but so are kicks something a boxing trainer will likely know nothing about. Furthermore, due to the size of gloves and all the other aspects of fighting in MMA ie. takedowns, kicks. punches are thrown in a completely different way. Just because GSP managed to use a good stiff jab to dominate a fight and possibly improved his punching under roach doesnt mean itll help in all fights or that every fighter will be able to learn and then incorporate it into their fighting style.
What a non-issue to get all worked up over. Roach is the coach of the world's pound-for-pound number 1 boxer, and has helped one of the world's top MMA fighters improve his boxing skills, as was very evident in his most recent fight. Roach's name now coming up in discussion is the most natural and obvious thing in history. Dry your eyes.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

If you're lacking in boxing ability, working with Freddie Roach will only help you improve. Is it a cure-all? Definitely not. But as far as boxing aspect of striking, it'll definitely help.

But for your average MMA fighter, there's probably so much to address that their time is better spent working on their wrestling, BJJ, MT, and conditioning. But I agree that improving their boxing alone won't help turn average fighters into great fighters after a few weeks worth of training.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Can we please keep Manny Steward away from Jon Jones? I mean I love Lennox and Wlad but the thought of him looking at Jones reach and having him fight behind the jab makes me very sad.
What Manny preaches is barely effective in boxing these days. Additionally MMA striking is an entirely different kettle of fish in terms of effectiveness. Too many boxing purists get the two mixed up. Anyway Steward sucks. He thinks he can teach every boxer to fight the same way. And when they don't pick up his way of boxing he blames the fighter ala Jermain Taylor.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Roach, Is very smart, he doesn't teach MMA fighters boxing, it doesn't work in MMA, Roach has even said this interviews, inside fighting, working off the ropes, or fighting off the shoulder, flat out doesn't work in MMA, so why use it. he teachs basic amateur type boxing at a distance. it is not rocket sciences.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.W View Post
Roach, Is very smart, he doesn't teach MMA fighters boxing, it doesn't work in MMA, Roach has even said this interviews, inside fighting, working off the ropes, or fighting off the shoulder, flat out doesn't work in MMA, so why use it. he teachs basic amateur type boxing at a distance. it is not rocket sciences.
Didnt realise this thanks

People seem to missing my point that there are thousands of other trainers just as good but because roach is some pseudo celebrity people think he is a cure all. I admit its a small thing to get annoyed about but it does a massive disservice to all the other great trainers out there who dont have a huge superstar training with them so arent aswell known.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I'd be interested to see what a fighter like Steward would implement. His philosophy is more than just a damn jab like people say. He focuses on maintaining balance, a guard held in tight, control of distance whether in or out, etc.; these are all things applicable and valuable to mma IMO.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum