Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750
Default Re: No one has defended their UFC 205 title more than once since Liddell

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Will Jones be the first man to change that? The 205 title has been changing hands ALOT despite every champ being a top fighter but without enough to establish a strong reign.

Also, don't sleep on new stars coming after Jones as he ain't the only one. Phil Davis could be one to watch and he wouldn't be scared to wrestle. He has been fighting less than 3 years, is undefeated and beating Lil Nog throws him right into the mix. One more top win and after 3 years of fighting and a 10-0 record, he'll be next in line for the title!
Who has Phil Davis beaten besides bums? Sure he is good, but he could be a hype job.
Just being a brilliant grappler/wrestler doesn't mean he can deal with a striker or the clinch.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #17
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: No one has defended their UFC 205 title more than once since Liddell

You can't judge a fighter until he's challenged for the title, you can't judge a champion until he's defended it. The pressure involved is far greater and it can do funny things to even the best. Look at what happened to GSP with the first Hughes fight and the first Serra fight. The pressure will only be intensified with the emotional turmoil that seems to surround Jones vs. Evans.

That said the advantage Jones has is he will be making his first defense against somebody with a fighting style he's already excelled against. Jones has dominated every wrestler he's been up against, particularly those giving up significant height and reach. Jackson was surprised by Griffin's legkicks, Griffin by Evans speed and wrestling, Evans by Machida's handspeed and footwork, Machida by Shogun's Muay Thai. Jones will not have to make the same leap into the unknown against Evans...on previous form he should win comfortably.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
No i'm saying it will be hard for jones to keep the title for a long time since the talent @ 205 is so deep especially now that the strikeforce light heavyweights are also in the ufc.

Mousasi and henderson joining the likes of rua-machida-rampage-evans-davis etc. Jones won't be able to beat them all.
What about Cung Le vs Jon Jones?
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No i'm saying it will be hard for jones to keep the title for a long time since the talent @ 205 is so deep especially now that the strikeforce light heavyweights are also in the ufc.

Mousasi and henderson joining the likes of rua-machida-rampage-evans-davis etc. Jones won't be able to beat them all.
I don't think anybody in Strikeforce would give Jones many problems, partly becuase without the extreme weight cutting Strikeforce fighters tend to be smaller than their UFC counterparts. If King Mo could get past Mousasi's striking and hold him down for five rounds then Jones certainly can, while Henderson wouldn't able to cope with the speed of Jones.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmaster View Post
I really want Cung Le vs. Wanderlei Silva
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Haven't seen much of cung le lately. I think jones would just take him down and beat him on the ground. If he decides to stand with le then he can get KTFO.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Funfan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnutz View Post

Jones would easily beat Brock.

Fo show Anderson Silva would beat him... hes skills on toast.
Funfan is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
I don't think anybody in Strikeforce would give Jones many problems, partly becuase without the extreme weight cutting Strikeforce fighters tend to be smaller than their UFC counterparts. If King Mo could get past Mousasi's striking and hold him down for five rounds then Jones certainly can, while Henderson wouldn't able to cope with the speed of Jones.
Henderson will always have a puncher's chance and the fight will be a 5 rounder. Henderson will have a lot of chance of getting to jones and having a shot at a knockout.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

Quote:
Haven't seen much of cung le lately. I think jones would just take him down and beat him on the ground. If he decides to stand with le then he can get KTFO.
Because a 185lb Cung Le is a better striker than Shogun. He was backed up and hit by Shamrock a number of times.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Rampage and Machida both defended their belt once. So....fail.
key word is more than once meaning at least 2 times genius.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnutz View Post
Machida will be ultra negative against Jones.

If he tries to fight, he'll go to sleep.

This fight will happen after Machida KTFO Randy and Jones will still be holding his title at the end of it.
Machida will be ultra-negative against Jones... but that could be what's needed to penetrate Jones's defences. Machida will be going backwards, but he can be very swift and incisive off the back foot when he sees an opening. Jones does leave himself open when he goes for his unconventional attacks, it may take someone as cerebral and cautious as Machida to get inside on him and land something big.

As I said, I think the difference in size/strength will still be too much for Machida to overcome, but I think it'd be an intriguing match-up.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Henderson will always have a puncher's chance and the fight will be a 5 rounder. Henderson will have a lot of chance of getting to jones and having a shot at a knockout.
But the gap in reach and speed is surely too big for him to overcome.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #28
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I still am sold on Machida. I think he's fantastic. I doubt he'd have the size/strength to beat Jones, but I think he'd give Bones something different to deal with, something tricky.
That would be interesting, but Machida's running game has been exposed a bit, Jones could cut him off with his pole vault arms.

Davis has a great wrestling base but jones has shown his wrestling is top notch and could likely keep it standing.

Rampage? at least has power to test Jones chin, but Jones is slick and doesn't get hit often and Rampage really hasn't changed his game much?

Hendo? I doubt it too old and slow, and got smothered by Shields, I'm sure the bigger Jones would make an everlast bag out of Hendo.

Rashad, I think Rashad knows he's already beat and will have another injury to save himself the beating. I think Jones would keep him at a distance and have his way, Rashad would dance his way to dancing with the stars but that's about it.

At this point I don't see anybody beating him considering he's still young and getting better every fight. He's not just winning he's finishing all his fights of late.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #29
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

It is a stacked division no doubt. But Jones just dismantled the best guy. From now on he will be fighting the second, third, fourth guys in the division as it was when he fought for the title. Plus all the other belt holders had lost before becoming champ, Jones has never even been in a bad position. So the fact the LHW belt changed hands so often in the past doesn't really mean a thing.

All the fighters you list, with exception of Davis, are a similar height/build to Rua. Jones would be favourite going into every single one of those fights and I would not bet against him. JJ has the longest reach in the UFC and knows how to maximise that advantage, huge obstacle to overcome.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #30
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Who has Phil Davis beaten besides bums? Sure he is good, but he could be a hype job.
Just being a brilliant grappler/wrestler doesn't mean he can deal with a striker or the clinch.
Davis has only beaten C level fighters but Lil Nog is B+ and A- on a good night.

Davis has serious wrestling and the signs of being an innovator. Like Jones he will be working on his weaknesses and he has a lot of talent. Reminds me of GSP in some ways.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum