Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Ninja on his brothers loss

Quote:
"I was very surprised with (Jonesí) game, Shogun trained a lot and Jones was able to neutralize [his] game, I think he studied Shogunís game a lot, so congrats to him. Shogun now needs to go back to Brazil and analyze the fight, see what went wrong and go from there. I think (Jones) has a brilliant future ahead of him, heís a very young athlete, but in this weight class I think itís very hard.

People donít seem to be able to keep the title for more than one fight. Everyone wins and then loses the belt so itís a very tough weight class and there are a lot of great fighters, so weíll see. Heís a young guy and will stay strong going forward, but Shogun will be able to make a strong comeback, for sure.

I think (what went wrong during the fight) was the very first strikes Jones landed on Shogun, that knee and the head kick, may have taken his gas away."
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Stop blaming Shogun's knees. Blame Jones'.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ninja on his brothers loss

Cut the guy some slack. Ninja and Shogun are VERY close. I think his comments were fine. He's right though. As soon as Shogun ate that knee it was good night god bless. Shogun MUST be commended though as the blows he took would have felled most men rounds ago. Shogun is a warrior and has a chin of iron.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

My comment wasn't addressing Ninja, it was addressing everyone ignoring the opening knee. Shogun could have been in the best shape of his life; it wouldn't have mattered. That knee happened literally 6 seconds into the fight, and it had a big effect on the outcome.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
Hrak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 328

****, all this time I thought that knee missed and hit Shoguns chest, In the figth the the camera was on Shogun back. I don''t think that knee did it though, I think the shots that Shogun took while trying to stand up was what did it, he took a coleman style kick to the face and a straight left right after.
Hrak is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
My comment wasn't addressing Ninja, it was addressing everyone ignoring the opening knee. Shogun could have been in the best shape of his life; it wouldn't have mattered. That knee happened literally 6 seconds into the fight, and it had a big effect on the outcome.
My bad
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
zarman

vCash:

I think it was obvious that Shogun was not at his best. They need to start giving fighters easier fights when they have had a long lay off.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
That opening knee by Jones certainly didn't help matters for Rua, and it was the beginning of Jones imposing himself on Rua, but I wouldn't say it was the lone strike that made the fight go Jones' way. Jones did a lot of things right in that fight. Look how hard Rua had to work from his back in that opening round. Rua was very much spent by the time he got back to his feet. Go back and see how much Rua was struggling from his back. Jones didn't allow him to rest at all.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarman View Post
I think it was obvious that Shogun was not at his best. They need to start giving fighters easier fights when they have had a long lay off.
Being the champion means you don't get easy fights(usually)
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Shogun looked like shit. But I'm not sure if he would've looked like shit if he was fighting Liddel or Machida again. Styles make fights, Machida backpeddled and allowed Shogun to control the pace, Jones didn't. Jones pressured the hell out of him and just outclassed him with his speed, size and athleticism. To be honest I feel Shogun may have been overrated a bit after his fights with Machida, stylistically I question whether any version of Shogun would've been competitive with Jones.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

Shogun has a grade A chin no doubt about that but his cardio was ****ing horrible, he was completely gassed coming out for the 2nd.

i don't even remember Shogun throwing any punches or kicks he just stood there like a deer in the headlights getting stomped.
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delroc View Post
Shogun has a grade A chin no doubt about that but his cardio was ****ing horrible, he was completely gassed coming out for the 2nd.

i don't even remember Shogun throwing any punches or kicks he just stood there like a deer in the headlights getting stomped.
I think that first knee stunned him, then not being able to find range and how jones handled him on the ground took his spirit away, the look on his face said it all. All he did offensivly was a few Diego Sanchez charges and that's about it. Even Jones front kicks looked nasty.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
DeadlyOverhand
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Shogun gassed out because he tried to go out there and Knockout Jones. He didn't even tried to kick or set up a shot, he just went in throwing Knockout punches.
DeadlyOverhand is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Tuffnutz
ESB 2002 Club
ESB Addict

Damn, I wish that knee had missed, Shogun landed the right and KTFO Jones Fedor vs Arolvski style.
Tuffnutz is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
huck_
Rust Belt holder

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyOverhand View Post
Shogun gassed out because he tried to go out there and Knockout Jones. He didn't even tried to kick or set up a shot, he just went in throwing Knockout punches.
nah, he gassed out on the ground - not much of a surprise, jones has top notch wrestling and vicious gnp

and anyway, the fight went like most have predicted; shogun's striking did not work from the outside and when he closed the distance he was thrown to the ground and beat up to a pulp

i'm not holding this against shogun, this fight was a terrible mismatch for him
huck_ is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

those elbows to the body took a lot out of shogun
greathamza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum