Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Which Heavyweight Champ Fought The Most Punchers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I included names which others might have excluded, and vice versa. Beyond that, I'd want Boucher to be more specific on defining who constitutes the kind of puncher being sought. For Ali, would guys like JQ, Patterson, Norton and Chuvalo qualify?
Hard to say, exactly. I think Patterson is definitely a puncher, the others i'm not so sure about. I tried to include guys that were renowned for either a sunday punch or being heavy handed in general(although lacking in class, in some cases)
Swarmer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Jack Johnson has a shout.
Really?
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
Probably Joe Frazier.
Sorry I don't see this.
Unless you are being ironical.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Duran deserves a mention
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
This can be pretty tricky and subjective, according to how you define a "real banger" Boucher. I'll toss out some names for you, and you can add or eliminate according to your personal criteria of who constitutes a puncher.

Ali-Liston, Big Cat, Frazier 3X, Foreman, Lyle, Shavers, Bonavena, Chuvalo 2X, Mac Foster, Bob Foster (if you accept him as a legitimate heavyweight puncher-I don't), Moore (who did flatten big Embrell Davidson for the count with a single right in a match televised from Detroit), maybe Sonny Banks and Henry Cooper 2X. Do Patterson and JQ qualify according to your standards?

Holmes-Shavers 2X, Hercules 2X, Bonecrusher 2X, Michael Spinks 2X (again, with a same caveat as Bob Foster for Ali), Tyson, Cooney, McCall, Holyfield, Mercer, Beanfart, Witherspoon.

Lennox-Rahman 2X, McCall 2X, Holyfield 2X, Morrison, Ruddock, Tua, Tucker, Mercer, Briggs, Golota, Weaver, Vitali.

Tyson-Bonecrusher, Tucker, Bruno 2X, Lennox, Michael Spinks (again, if you accept him as a puncher), Seldon, Etienne, Holyfield 2X, Ruddock 2X, Stewart, Douglas, Thomas, Golota.

Louis-Max Baer, Buddy Baer 2X, Charley Retzlaff, Galento, Nova, Schmeling 2X, Mauriello, Walcott 2X, Charles, Savold, Marciano, maybe Simon 2X.
It would be presumptuous of me to tell others who is a top puncher . My picks as Champs would possibly be .
Ali
Lewis
Walcott

Last edited by Boucher; 03-22-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
Really?
Sure, depending upon how you interpret a puncher, he might have more bouts with such fighters overal.

Bear in mind that he fought a lot of the punchers of his era three times each.

Overal I would be inclined to say Holyfield though.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Sure, depending upon how you interpret a puncher, he might have more bouts with such fighters overal.

Bear in mind that he fought a lot of the punchers of his era three times each.

Overal I would be inclined to say Holyfield though.
I think we need to be honest that the 220+ monsters of the 1990's hit harder than Tommy Burns or Choynski or Jim Johnson...
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I think we need to be honest that the 220+ monsters of the 1990's hit harder than Tommy Burns or Choynski or Jim Johnson...
What about the 220lb monsters of the 00s?
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #24
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Id say Ali although Im not sure I would class Chuvalo as a puncher.

I dont think Lewis is even close. A lot of the guys listed by some here as punchers on his record were not punchers in the strictest sense and some that were considered punchers never really proved it against anyone of note: Briggs, Bruno, Tucker those guys were big but punchers? I would have to examine that more closely. Its like calling Billy Fox a puncher. Yeah he had a lot of KOs but if they were against bums or outright fixes does that qualify him as a puncher?
klompton is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #25
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post

I dont think Lewis is even close. A lot of the guys listed by some here as punchers on his record were not punchers in the strictest sense and some that were considered punchers never really proved it against anyone of note: Briggs, Bruno, Tucker those guys were big but punchers? I would have to examine that more closely. Its like calling Billy Fox a puncher. Yeah he had a lot of KOs but if they were against bums or outright fixes does that qualify him as a puncher?
Briggs, Bruno & Tucker all hit like a truck, saying they're not punchers is crazy talk.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #26
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Depends on your definition.

Briggs and Bruno are two fighters who might have hit as hard as darn near anyone in terms of raw power.

Power is over rated of course.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #27
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What elite fighter did any of those guys ever KO that showed how hard they really hit? the only two "top" guys Briggs ever even dropped were Botha (who Briggs didnt even beat) and Laikovich... Bruno lost every time he stepped up with the exception of McCall and his KO record was built primarily on retreads that were more often than not coming off a loss or a string of losses. Tony Tucker was never considered a puncher. He was always a boxer. Id probably call him less of a puncher than Briggs and I dont really consider Briggs a big puncher. Id rate them in terms of power: Bruno, Briggs, Tucker and I dont think any of those three hold a candle to Foreman, Lewis, Liston, Tyson, etc (all of whom could hurt even very durable opponents with a single punch). Id say that at best Bruno and maybe the other two hit above average but I certainly wouldnt rate them as "punchers".
klompton is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
What elite fighter did any of those guys ever KO that showed how hard they really hit? the only two "top" guys Briggs ever even dropped were Botha (who Briggs didnt even beat) and Laikovich... Bruno lost every time he stepped up with the exception of McCall and his KO record was built primarily on retreads that were more often than not coming off a loss or a string of losses. Tony Tucker was never considered a puncher. He was always a boxer. Id probably call him less of a puncher than Briggs and I dont really consider Briggs a big puncher. Id rate them in terms of power: Bruno, Briggs, Tucker and I dont think any of those three hold a candle to Foreman, Lewis, Liston, Tyson, etc (all of whom could hurt even very durable opponents with a single punch). Id say that at best Bruno and maybe the other two hit above average but I certainly wouldnt rate them as "punchers".
Power on its own is not enough to get knockouts against the best fighters in the division. Technique is a much more critical factor.

Based on the testimony of opponents and sparring partners, I have little doubt that there were some fairly ordinary heavyweights who had comparable power to Foreman, Lewis, Liston and Tyson.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The chinny Lennox Lewis.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #30
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Not really. Mike Weaver (albeit long in the tooth), Bruno, Ruddock, Morrison, Tua, Briggs and Tyson were giant punchers. I don't see any other way to qualify them. The likes of Chuvalo does not hold a candle to them in terms of power.
Seamus is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum