Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
stevexx28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 916
Default Knee Pain Update 3.0

Hey whats up training forum, just wanna say thanks for all those who posted in my other 2 threads on my knee pain, you gave me some good ideas. I posted one topic in july

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

and one in november

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

To sum it all up, I ran one day in june, about 4-5 miles at a very good pace (one guy watching was even impressed with my speed) but this was after about a month without running, so I ran extra hard to compensate.

Next day:
I wake up with a slight pain on the outside of my left knee. Don't ever remember feeling this the day after a workout, but I did not worry, I just attributed it to post workout soreness. Feeling good about previous days run, I decide to perform a sprint workout. I go to the track, do 400s, 200s, 100s, etc. totally kicked my ass, and felt great about the workout. Except when I started warming up I felt the knee pain nagging me, but after the first sprint or two, the pain was drowned in adrenaline, so it didn't really affect the workout.

Next Day/whole next week: My knee REALLY starts hurting, to the point where I am limping at work. Im thinking ("I overtrained like a dumbass, when my body was telling me to take it easy. Oh well, take 2 weeks off everything, running, boxing, etc., and Ill be fine.") If only it were.........

Late June Now: I try running again after 2 weeks complete rest. Still feel too much pain. I take another week off. Run again(lightly, mind you). Still feel pain. Im getting worried now.

July: I continue boxing and just put roadwork on the backburner, but I get my confidence from my CONDITIONING, and I get that mainly from RUNNING. So as my fitness decreases, me getting my ass kicked in sparring increases. So I stop boxing as well. I say "Im taking a whole month off from running, just to make sure this thing heals."

Late July: I go for a light run. about 4 minutes in, I turn around to limp to my house. When I get there I start headbutting my mailbox because of my extreme frustration and silently screaming(It was like 5AM LOL). I was also ripping some of my hair out, just being like WHY THE **** AM I STILL HURTING?

August: No boxing. No running. Very depressed.

September: I NEEDED to run. I can't not be active. I see a Knee doctor guy, (I dont know what theyre called). This was like Mid-late september. I tell him my story, told him I havent done nothing stressful for my knee for about a month in a half, he MRI scans it, and gives me the green light to train. I do one session and SAME OLD PAIN RETURNS. No running for the rest of the month.

October: No running. Ive almost given up on it.

November: No running.

December: After missing sweating, being out of breath, and the runners high, I do alot of research on knee/runners injuries and I discover that the main culprit of knee pain for runners is a mistake known as HEEL STRIKING. This is when your heel hits the ground first when you run, sending an unnautral stress to your knee joint, causing injury over a long period of time. After reading several testemonials on how toe/midfoot striking cured many people of thier knee pain, I decide to give it a shot(what have I got to lose?) I decide to rehab my knee on my own.

I do a few, very slow barefoot walks on the treadmill with alot of warming up. I increase slowwwwwlly up to a jog then to a light run. No knee pain!! Im getting hope that Ill be able to box again.

January 2011: I buy new, minimulistic running shoes to teach me how to run with a natural stride/ foot strike. I love them. I start mixing in light(SUPER LIGHT) and SUPER SLOW roadwork in with my treadmill running. The knee pain does return when I hit the concrete, but its alot less. Although Im going very light, so IDK how much I really recovered? But I ran trained conistently thoughout JAN, having at least 14 running sessions, most pretty successfully, although slow, since I was in a REHABILITATION stage.

February: I continue, but now, I advance my rehab by increasing my JOG to a RUN. The left knee pain does return, but now I feel it in the upper calf in an area near the knee pain. Maybe because the stress is off of the joint and now on the muscle? This made me extremely happy cause pain aint no thing to me, especially muscle pain which will just make it stronger/eventually go away, unlike knee pain which means you could be potenitally permanently ****ing yourself up. I just don't want to beat my joints into the ground to the point where I can't train no more, thats what scares me about joint pain. But at least SOMETHINGS changing!

Mid february: I go on a 5 day field trip w/ my school. This combined with increasing schoolwork makes me stop training.

NOW: Ive basically havent trained consistently for a month since then. Ive sneaked in a session here and there but nothing consistent. But I ran last friday (3/18/11) on a track for 3.5 miles(warmed up and cooled down extensively, full stretch too) at a controlled pace for most of it, but I was feeling very good, so on my last few laps I threw in a few sprints. But as I increased my speed, that same old knee pain began to increase. So I just slowed down but my knee was still hurting thoughout.

I guess I've gotten used to it, I don't stress about it as much anymore, but I just don't get what I did? Im definetely Toe/midfoot striking now, Ive always been a religious stretcher, my knee is bugging me right now as Im typing. Ive finally got another appointment with another Knee doctor, this one was reccomended, and I hope he can tell me something comprehensively. Cause I really miss boxing. I even made myself become a fan of high intensity cardio training to make boxing easier(I wouldve never imagined LOL) I know some of you are thinking, "you don't need to run to box." But I want every advantage I can get. To quote Chris rock, "you can drive a car with your feet, that don't make it a good ****ing Idea!!"

So yea, sorry for the long story. I just wanted to vent and see what you guys think I should do. And what do you think of ross enamaits conditioning? Cause, If all I can do is burpess/ all those other intense indoor workouts excluding sprints, etc. then I guess Ill do what I gotta do... And remember kids...
DO NOT HEEL STRIKE.
stevexx28 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Knee Pain Update 3.0

I'm a heel striker, army habit from marching, and I do it with my walking. Really trying to stop that habit!
I don't run often.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Heel striking is a problem mostly caused by, strangely enough, running shoes. The thick sole makes natural running (on the front of the foot so your foot takes the impact instead of your knee) downright impossible. The less shoe you wear the less your knee will hurt, from my personal experience.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
MrSmall
Journeyman

What shoes do you recommend then RDJ?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

None preferably, the best running is barefoot. If I had money to spare I'd buy those vibram finger things, never tried them though.

A while ago I found an old pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes (about 3 years old but never worn because I lost them). Thick soles for "cushioning", but after about two miles my knees and ankles were killing me. A natural stride was downright impossible, it felt like I was wearing ****ing clogs. Threw them away and ran the remaining few miles on socks, on asphalt, without any problem.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

I see what you mean with your foot being "skewed" slightly from running shoes.

Strangely when I am doing strongman events carrying heavy objects the easiest thing on my ankles and shins both for stability and little pain are my flat soled shoes, or even heeled weightlifting shoes. The running shoes **** me up and I go all over the place.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

That's not strange at all IMO. And I don't mean skewed slightly btw, I mean so horribly skewed that it transfers the impact to your knees instead of your foot where it belonged
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Frances G. Thom

vCash: 500
Post Re: Knee Pain Update 3.0

Just a suitable analysis can properly diagnose knee pain. When bone tissue fractures are the reason, it can be clinically diagnosed and treated because it's visible with by x-rays.

If you need to avoid your knee soreness or otherwise want to minimize it to some extent, you have to know [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Is there a health problem or degenerative disease behind your injury? The root reason behind the pain has to be determined if you need to get a treatment.

Last edited by Frances G. Thom; 09-02-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling check
Frances G. Thom is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing