Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 685
Default Best Result by a young fighter

At about 16 years of age, Jim Jeffries KOd Hank Griffin, the man who would go on and beat Jack Johnson within a few years. I dont know whether there has been a more impressive victory and more naturally talented fighter by a child. People go on about a 16 yr old Tyson, but Hank Griffin I am sure would have Toyed with Tyson.

My question, is there a better or more impressive victory by a child, ever?
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Benitez beating Cervantes aged 17?
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Benitez beating Cervantes aged 17?
But were the scales rigged? Was it Il Duce who posted this unsubstanciated story?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In Vitalis cut.
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 75
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Benitez beating Cervantes aged 17?


/Thread.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Jung Koo Chang losing a disputed SD to Hilario Zapata at 19 was mightily impressive.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The dirty dirty.
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Surely you must've known the first post would've been the answer, Boiler?
El Bujia is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
At about 16 years of age, Jim Jeffries KOd Hank Griffin, the man who would go on and beat Jack Johnson within a few years. I dont know whether there has been a more impressive victory and more naturally talented fighter by a child. People go on about a 16 yr old Tyson, but Hank Griffin I am sure would have Toyed with Tyson.

My question, is there a better or more impressive victory by a child, ever?
I have Jeffries fighting Griffin twice, the first time on the first of December 1896.
Jeffries was then twenty one years old.
Boucher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Benitez beating Cervantes aged 17?
Nothing tops Benitez's achievement here.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Baby Arizmendi beating Fidel LaBarba aged 19 is pretty good too.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Nothing tops Benitez's achievement here.
No, but what Cuevas did four months later to Angel Espada in lifting the WBA WW crown at age 18 deserves honorable mention. By the time he turned 20, he'd made four successful defenses of that title, and had just triumphed in a classic rematch war with Espada. Wilfred remains in the Guinness Book of World Records as youngest world champion, but he didn't beat Pipino there by much.

Duran's defeat of Marcel at 19 also deserves some recognition.

Carpentier swept the European WW, MW, LHW and HW Titles all before he turned 20. While still only 19 years of age, he already had a record of 68-9-5, handed Jeff Smith his first defeat over 20 rounds, and just starched Bombardier Wells in a rematch. People sometimes forget he took a five year hiatus to serve in WW I during what had been shaping up to be a frightening peak.

Last edited by Duodenum; 03-23-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 685
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
I have Jeffries fighting Griffin twice, the first time on the first of December 1896.
Jeffries was then twenty one years old.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Interesting, i have never heard it said that jeffries was young in this fight with Griffin. And nothing ever made of it, but it seems as if he was according to this article and if so, it is one of the most astonishing victories ever, with nothing ever really said about it.

I am guessing that Jeffries wouldnt forget his age and/or just make up the fact that he had to take time off so his mother would approve (from memory marciano did something similar).

This probably tends to suggest that either the date of the Jeffries Griffin fight that you have is wrong, or Jeffries was actually a little younger than the record books state. The first would probably be themore believable.

Given the impressive result at such a young age, it is also interesting that Jeffries considers himself a made fighter and not a natural born fighter. For such a fast developer, that is astonishing if true!
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
No, but what Cuevas did four months later to Angel Espada in lifting the WBA WW crown at age 18 deserves honorable mention. By the time he turned 20, he'd made four successful defenses of that title, and had just triumphed in a classic rematch war with Espada. Wilfred remains in the Guinness Book of World Records as youngest world champion, but he didn't beat Pipino there by much.

Duran's defeat of Marcel at 19 also deserves some recognition.

Carpentier swept the European WW, MW, LHW and HW Titles all before he turned 20. While still only 19 years of age, he already had a record of 68-9-5, handed Jeff Smith his first defeat over 20 rounds, and just starched Bombardier Wells in a rematch. People sometimes forget he took a five year hiatus to serve in WW I during what had been shaping up to be a frightening peak.

What was so frightening about it? His regional titles came at a time when boxing was in its infancy on the continent and Carpentier had the best trainers in Europe. By the time he went into the military he had lost to every world class fighter he had faced with the exception of Gunboat Smith (which was suspect) and Jeff Smith (who was naturally much smaller in a very close fight). Even Willie Lewis, who was well past his peak and fighting above his best weight and himself never really capable of beating the best beat Carpentier all over the ring (dropping him several times) only to lose a gift decision.
klompton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Has the Jeffries Griffin fight ever been established? I thought it had never been verified by a first hand account. I dont doubt it happened but the question is when.
klompton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
What was so frightening about it? His regional titles came at a time when boxing was in its infancy on the continent and Carpentier had the best trainers in Europe. By the time he went into the military he had lost to every world class fighter he had faced with the exception of Gunboat Smith (which was suspect) and Jeff Smith (who was naturally much smaller in a very close fight). Even Willie Lewis, who was well past his peak and fighting above his best weight and himself never really capable of beating the best beat Carpentier all over the ring (dropping him several times) only to lose a gift decision.
I just wanted to write "donīt mention Carpentier!" since I knew you would come in and write something like that.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 9,177
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Best Result by a young fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Benitez beating Cervantes aged 17?
This.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013