Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0
Default Rating the Champs (in 1994)...

An article from The Ring (October 1994) rated the then current 49 (WBA, WBC and IBF) World Champions:

49: Steve Little
48: John Michael Johnson
47: Jeff Harding
46: Hiroshi Kawashima
45: Ratanapol Sow Vorapin
44: Leo Gamez
43: Phichit Sithbangprachan
42: Anaclet Wamba
41: Yasuei Yakushiji
40: Juan Coggi
39: Jake Rodriguez
38: Katsuya Onizuka
37: Eloy Rojas
36: Nasarov Olzubek
35: Wilfredo Vazquez
34: San Sow Pleonchit
33: Gianfranco Rosi
32: Chana Porpaoin
31: Rafael Ruelas
30: Julio Cesar Vazquez
29: Ike Quartey
28: Al Cole
27: John David Jackson
26: Henry Maske
25: Tom Johnson
24: Tracy Harris Patterson
23: Lennox Lewis
22: Nigel Benn
21: Julio Barboa
20: Virgil Hill
19: Orlin Norris
18: Julio Cesar Chavez
17: Michael Moorer
16: Genaro Hernandez
15: John John Molina
14: Terry Norris
13: Kevin Kelley
12: Jesse Jame Leija
11: Felix Trinidad
10: Miguel Angel Gonzales
9: Yuri Arbachakov
8: Gerald McClellan
7: Roy Jones Jr
6: Kennedy McKinney
5: Humberto Gonzales
4: Ricardo Lopez
3: Orlando Canizales
2: James Toney
1: Pernell Whitaker

Last edited by TBooze; 03-26-2011 at 06:50 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Rating the Champs (in 1994)...

47 (harding) is a tough Call!

23 (lewis) is very interesting, given todays opinions. 17 Moorer, this was his heavyweight title wasnt it? Roy Jones Jr at 9, is a bit surprising also.

and it goes without saying that 49 world champions (and it is worse today) is nothing short of an embarassment and is the reason why boxing is no longer the number 1 sport around, since a world title (or even a national or state title) now means absolutely nothing. And it is also a major reason why modern boxers, no matter how good they are will always have a question mark over their legacies.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Last edited by TBooze; 03-27-2011 at 04:27 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

That list is not suprising at all , some of the greats or very good hadnt reached their peak yer or built up the resumes, like some of the other fighters they eventually passed up.. If you were to rank the champs today and looked at it 15 yrs later it would be the same thing....
anarci is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

80 world champs today

Vitali Klitschko
David Haye
Wladimir Klitschko
Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Guillermo Jones
Yoan Pablo Hernandez
Steve Cunningham
Marco Huck
Jean Pascal
Beibut Shumenov
Tavoris Cloud
Jurgen Brähmer
Nathan Cleverly
Carl Froch
Andre Ward
Dimitri Sartison
Lucian Bute
Robert Stieglitz
Sebsatian Zbik
Felix Sturm
Gennady Golovkin
Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam
Sebastian Sylvester
Dimitry Pirog
Saul Alvarez
Miguel Cotto
Austin Trout
Corneluis Bundradge
Sergei Dzinziruk
Alfredo Angulo
Andre Berto
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Soulemane M’Baye
Jan Zaveck
Manny Pacquiao
Amir Khan
Zab Judah
Timothy Bradley
Humberto Soto
Juan Manuel Marquez
Brandon Rios
Miguel Vazquez
Takahiro Aoh
Takashi Uchiyama
Jorge Solis
Mzonke Fana
Ricky Burns
Hozumi Hasegawa
Chris John
Yonathan Barros
Yuriorkis Gamboa
Juan Manuel Lopez
Toshiaki Nishioka
Akifumi Shimoda
Takalani Ndlovu
Wilfredo Vasquez Jr.
Anselmo Moreno
Koki Kameda
Joseph Agbeko
Nonito Donaire
Tomas Rojas
Hugo Cazares
Drian Francisco
Cristian Mijares
Omar Narvaez
P. Wonjongkam
Daike Kameda
Luis Concepcion
Moruti Mthalene
Julio Cesar Miranda
Gilberto Keb Baas
Roman Gonzalez
Luis Lazarte
Giovanni Segura
Jesus Gelez
Kazuto Ioka
Kwanthai Sithmorseng
Nkosinathi Joyi
Donnie Nietes
Raul Garcia

funny how Martinez is not even a world champ in any of the big 4
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Imagine trying to rate them. I'm sure not one person can claim to have seen all of these champions.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Roy Jones Jr at 9, is a bit surprising also.

Who has RJJ beat? Bernard Hopkins??? a 30 year old Middleweight contender, who has probably spent the best years of his career behind bars.

You really telling me in 15/16 years time, Hopkins is going to be some multi title holder, still competing and beating the best at 46 years old?

Yeah right!!! Next you will be telling me how George Foreman is going to regain The World Heavyweight Championship, 20 years after Ali, aged 45, against an undefeated champ...

What next? A Filipino Welterweight, who is arguably the finest fighter in the world?
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Who has RJJ beat? Bernard Hopkins??? a 30 year old Middleweight contender, who has probably spent the best years of his career behind bars.

You really telling me in 15/16 years time, Hopkins is going to be some multi title holder, still competing and beating the best at 46 years old?

Yeah right!!! Next you will be telling me how George Foreman is going to regain The World Heavyweight Championship, 20 years after Ali, aged 45, against an undefeated champ...

What next? A Filipino Welterweight, who is arguably the finest fighter in the world?
Hang on a minute here. The points you guys are making about the competition he beat are all valid. I admit it. But, what happened to all of these guys who are always telling me that you need film to judge a fighter and that is the main thing you need to know modern fighters are superior to herky jerky fighters of yesteryear.

Here we have a guy whose speed was clearly off the radar, who must of have looked pretty good in his career so far, and he is ranked 9th. Behind a guy like say Kennedy McKinney (i cant remember him, was he any good?). Surely you would think of all fighters, Roy Jones virtually starting his prime here would really stand out and be rated really high here. I mean, we are talking about one of the all time great middleweights. Anyway, i didnt say the list was bad, just surprising.

What the list does show, is how hindsight really does change current perception, massively. And of course what an embarassment to the sport it is that there is no longer such a thing as a world champion.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hang on a minute here. The points you guys are making about the competition he beat are all valid. I admit it. But, what happened to all of these guys who are always telling me that you need film to judge a fighter and that is the main thing you need to know modern fighters are superior to herky jerky fighters of yesteryear.

Here we have a guy whose speed was clearly off the radar, who must of have looked pretty good in his career so far, and he is ranked 9th. Behind a guy like say Kennedy McKinney (i cant remember him, was he any good?). Surely you would think of all fighters, Roy Jones virtually starting his prime here would really stand out and be rated really high here. I mean, we are talking about one of the all time great middleweights. Anyway, i didnt say the list was bad, just surprising.

What the list does show, is how hindsight really does change current perception, massively. And of course what an embarassment to the sport it is that there is no longer such a thing as a world champion.
I like them herky jerky veterans. RJJ looks like he has potential, but he looked like he had potential four years ago (1990), he has done nothing other than beating an oldish contender on a cautious points decision.

Lets see how he does against Toney. Sure, speed can kill, but I want to see some substance over style.

For the moment a ranking of seven seems pretty generous. As for McKinney, well he has shown heart and guts and unlike RJJ has surpassed expectations.

He has got some unknown South African next...Bungu??? Once he has beaten him, there is this unbeaten Mexican, the new Chavez, goes by the name of Marco Antonio Barrera, and thus far he looks good, and their styles should mesh nicely.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I like them herky jerky veterans. RJJ looks like he has potential, but he looked like he had potential four years ago (1990), he has done nothing other than beating an oldish contender on a cautious points decision.

Lets see how he does against Toney. Sure, speed can kill, but I want to see some substance over style.

For the moment a ranking of seven seems pretty generous. As for McKinney, well he has shown heart and guts and unlike RJJ has surpassed expectations.

He has got some unknown South African next...Bungu??? Once he has beaten him, there is this unbeaten Mexican, the new Chavez, goes by the name of Marco Antonio Barrera, and thus far he looks good, and their styles should mesh nicely.
Okay, but at least we all agree that Michael Moorer is going to take that pretender Lennox Lewis out if they every. Wonder why that is though, I thought size mattered. Former light heavyweights arent better than modern skilled giants, are they?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Okay, but at least we all agree that Michael Moorer is going to take that pretender Lennox Lewis out if they every. Wonder why that is though, I thought size mattered. Former light heavyweights arent better than modern skilled giants, are they?
With Moorer taking the soft option and fighting Foreman, it looks like Lewis/Bowe for early next year, once Lewis beats McCall, and Evander/MoorerII...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
With Moorer taking the soft option and fighting Foreman, it looks like Lewis/Bowe for early next year, once Lewis beats McCall, and Evander/MoorerII...
Does it really matter? They are all second rate. When Tyson gets out of jail, he cleans up all by 1st round KO anyway!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Does it really matter? They are all second rate. When Tyson gets out of jail, he cleans up all by 1st round KO anyway!
Rumour is Tyson wants a bite of the action from the Moorer/Holyfield rematch winner...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
THE EXPERT
Journeyman

vCash: 500

It would be interesting to see how these same fighters would be rated based on the end results of their careers. I am sure McKinney is not rated higher than Jones now.
THE EXPERT is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It is hard to believe that Tom Johnson, Tracy Harris Patterson and Lennox Lewis were a toss up, isnt it.

Or Julio Barboa and Nigel Benn.

Truth be told, i dont even remember many of these world champions. It is funny how some stick in your mind when others disappear without a word.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum