Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Should Davis be next in line after Jones KO1 Suga Rashad?
Yes 5 13.16%
No, there are one/more ahead of him 33 86.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185
Default Re: Should Phil Davis be next in line after Jones KO1 Suga Rashad?

No, I don't think Davis is ready I'd like to see him fight Forrest or the winner of Machida vs Couture first.

I'm surprised so many are writing off Rashad he is the type of guy you all should know by now not to write off so easily. Rashad is the type of fighter to give Jones fits a Fast Top Level wrestler with good hands and head movement.

After Jones vs Evans I think it is obvious Rampage is next in line.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Money Shot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Davis fought a horrible fight, was bored rigid by him.
Money Shot is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
crazylegs

i think he needs 1 or2 more fights i think his wrestling is up there with jones but he needs to improve his striking thats the only area i can see him having a problem when he does that he could give jones a good run for his money
crazylegs is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
I think he won in terms of rounds, not in terms of damage. Fights are scored on a RbR basis.

^This. Rampage didn't do much in the first two rounds, but Machida did even less. I think that people are going to find that Machida's style can be used against him in three round fights from now on. He can be beaten on points if fighters don't get suckered into to being countered by him.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
i think he needs 1 or2 more fights i think his wrestling is up there with jones but he needs to improve his striking thats the only area i can see him having a problem when he does that he could give jones a good run for his money

He's going to need more than a couple of fights. His stand up is really primitive. If Jones can stop his takedowns, he'd take Davis out standing. There's also no guarantee that Jones wouldn't be able to put Davis on his back.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Shot View Post
Davis fought a horrible fight, was bored rigid by him.

I think that you're underselling Nog's skill with that statement. Davis is a wrestler with decent subs. He got neutralized on the ground for the most part by Nog's wrist control.

It really wasn't destined to be a crowd pleasing match up from a stylistic point of view unless you were expecting Davis to stand toe to toe with Nog and KTFO.

I hope that Nog can get a fight against someone who isn't a wrestler next time.

Last edited by Thom; 03-27-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #22
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

**** off with this bullshit
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #23
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Davis isn't close to ready for JOnes. I thought he might be, but after seeing this weekends fight, no way!

He looked confused in there, his stand up is absolute shit and he looked lost on the ground too. He needs alot of time to gain experience.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Davis isn't close to ready for JOnes. I thought he might be, but after seeing this weekends fight, no way!

He looked confused in there, his stand up is absolute shit and he looked lost on the ground too. He needs alot of time to gain experience.
Yeah not everyone can pick it up nearly as fast as Bones Jones can.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
Yeah not everyone can pick it up nearly as fast as Bones Jones can.
It's true. He's a couple steps ahead of Davis. Although in Davis's defense, he did look really nervous in there. Hesitant and Nervous.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #26
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

No, Davis hasn't earned a title shot yet - but I wouldn't argue if he was put in a match against a top five opponent to determine a new number one contender.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

he hasnt fough a really good striker and shogun wasnt even trying to strike in the fight he looked like a scared child
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #28
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
Not MMA wrestling, not even close. Jones was one of those Collegiate wrestler that had he gone to a bigger school hed be well decorated.

Jones will take Davis down easily. Davis couldnt even take little Nog down who isnt known to fend off takedowns so he shouldnt even attempt to shoot or he might eat a knee. Little Nog had him buckling with glancing blows, Jones would put him out with a slap.

Bader at a collegiate level isnt that less decorated than Davis is and Jones molested Bader and we can argue that Bader has a much more threatening stand up than Davis.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #29
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ's Jab View Post
No, I don't think Davis is ready I'd like to see him fight Forrest or the winner of Machida vs Couture first.

I'm surprised so many are writing off Rashad he is the type of guy you all should know by now not to write off so easily. Rashad is the type of fighter to give Jones fits a Fast Top Level wrestler with good hands and head movement.

After Jones vs Evans I think it is obvious Rampage is next in line.
Ill write him off now. Come back to me after he gets Koed and I'll explain to you why he had no chance.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #30
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Bader, Matyushenko, O'Brien, Hamill and even Vera all have wrestling backgrounds. Probably safe to say that a wrestler will not be the one to take out Jones. Davis has looked impressive, but he's got a lot more to work on before he's ready for a shot at the belt.

Rashads speed is about the only thing he has on Jones and it really doesn't look like it's going to be enough, because to get close enough to hit Jones, Rashad has to be well inside Jones' reach, which means Jones can grab onto him and take him down.

Machida is certainly someone I'd pick to give Jones trouble, but he's coming off two consecutive losses (Rampage won that decision, it was an excellent example of what's wrong with the 10 point must system in a 3 round fight), so even if he gets past Randy a title shot will be a hard sell, especially when there's other guys out there that are more deserving on paper (and using some MMAth for the casual fans, he was recently KTFO by the guy that Jones just dominated)...

If Rampage looks impressive against Hamill he'd be an easy sell, he's got massive power and he'd probably be the strongest guy Jones has ever faced. Hell, on the off chance Hamill beats Rampage they could sell that fight as a way for Jones to avenge that robbery.

Even guys like Forrest and Randy would have a case for a title shot; Forrest if he wins the rumoured rematch with Shogun, Randy if he gets past Machida (in which case he'll be 4-0 since his most recent drop to LHW).
Primate is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum