Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
blacklikesunday
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default all this praise for jon jones.

so many people can't praise jon jones enough it seems.
i hear he'll be a great champion, and someone who'll be the champ for a long time too.
in some people's minds he has already defeated everyone else in the light-heavyweight division.

do you think that maybe some of us are getting a little carried away, possibly jumping the gun a bit?
blacklikesunday is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: all this praise for jon jones.

It's mma, i have seen this happen about a 100 times now, the sherdog froums are hilarious.

We have been through about a 100 false dawns in the last 5 years, Lesnar/carwin new breed superheavyweight, all future fighters will be nfl build, machida era, strikers with good td defense will rule, wrestlers with good top control will rule, bjj is supreme, all guys will be built like basketball players, Penn/Silva/put name here are unbeatable and so on and so forth.

Jones i talented though he should do well.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Not really. I think it's well deserved. He does have a hard division so it's not going to be easy for him but he's 23 and he DOMINATED everyone he's faced including the champion.

This is not Lesnar hype. Machida hype. Or any other hype you've heard before. This guy can actually fight. Not only that, he can also finish fighters pretty damn effectively.

The only guy who can realistically beat him right now, IMO, is Machida via boring hit-and-run like he usually does, and does exceptionally well. However with Jones' long limbs its not going to be easy to stay away for Machida. It be nice to see Machida check Jones' chin as well.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
bored
rent boy
ESB Senior Member

It's hard not to get carried away when you see a fighter so dominant and athletic, he does look just a different level to all 205ers. Machida had the same hype when he won the title, hadn't lost a round although hadn't looked as dominant but everyone was so hyped on him then he lost twice. Jones still has a lot to prove but he looks so good. He's so good in every area, I never thought he would beat Shogun in the stand up. I am still interested in what will happen when he fights Rashad and Machida, those fights will really show how good he is.
bored is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member

I don't really like him but he is unreal I wouldn't say his striking is the good technically yet but it works, and his sub defence looks good and his wrestling is just amazing! And he just looks so much stronger than every1 else! I think he'll be a great!
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored View Post
It's hard not to get carried away when you see a fighter so dominant and athletic, he does look just a different level to all 205ers. Machida had the same hype when he won the title, hadn't lost a round although hadn't looked as dominant but everyone was so hyped on him then he lost twice. Jones still has a lot to prove but he looks so good. He's so good in every area, I never thought he would beat Shogun in the stand up. I am still interested in what will happen when he fights Rashad and Machida, those fights will really show how good he is.

That's the point, the Machida situation is a perfect example. MMA is starting to get decent athletes within it's ranks and that is going to change things a lot.

Rua's striking is also hugely overrated, he was getting lit up by Overeem and diabate standing, he does not have great standup, even less so now that he doesn't have any legs.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
OCAVE
Journeyman

I know on some forums people have called him the Micheal Jordan of MMA..Although it may be early to make that claim I dont think anyone has seen this type of dominance before..If you look back at the nice run Machida had(before his first loss to Shogun) It does not compare to the run Jones has put together..
I also expect him to beat Evans easily next fight..We shall see
OCAVE is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't really like the guy, think he's a bit of an arrogant knob, and I don't really like his style all that much, I'm just not a fan of wrestlers and never will be, and I don't think Shogun was anywhere near his best when Jones beat him...

...but, no, I don't think people are getting too carried away! Although he's not my cup of tea, you simply can't argue that the guy doesn't look special. People have every right to get excited by his performances. This is not unjustified hype.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post
Not really. I think it's well deserved. He does have a hard division so it's not going to be easy for him but he's 23 and he DOMINATED everyone he's faced including the champion.

This is not Lesnar hype. Machida hype. Or any other hype you've heard before. This guy can actually fight. Not only that, he can also finish fighters pretty damn effectively.

The only guy who can realistically beat him right now, IMO, is Machida via boring hit-and-run like he usually does, and does exceptionally well. However with Jones' long limbs its not going to be easy to stay away for Machida. It be nice to see Machida check Jones' chin as well.
Im not sure about Machida being able to get away with a hit and run against Jones since Jones is so long but quick and unorthodox and unexpected with strikes himself. Jones would not wait against Machida just as Shogun did not either. Furthermore, it seems to me that Machida is not that durable once he gets caught, I can't see this fight going the distance (5rds), honestly.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I don't really like the guy, think he's a bit of an arrogant knob, and I don't really like his style all that much, I'm just not a fan of wrestlers and never will be, and I don't think Shogun was anywhere near his best when Jones beat him...

...but, no, I don't think people are getting too carried away! Although he's not my cup of tea, you simply can't argue that the guy doesn't look special. People have every right to get excited by his performances. This is not unjustified hype.
Right on. Honestly, who the heck opens up with a flying knee against their toughest most decorated opponent... and actually lands it? It takes balls, skills and a bit of luck. There's a certain point that you say well it can't be all luck. But now that he's champ, he will be on the other side and other hungry lions will be studying his every move, waiting for an opportunity to stop him.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Hell yeah the funniest shit i've heard is jon jones would beat any version of rua.

No ****ing way jones beat the rua that beat OVEREEM AND ARONA ON THE SAME NIGHT. Yes folks you heard it right on the same ****ing night.

That rua would murder jon jones and get life sentence

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbHULWChLI[/ame]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
leejunfan777
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor Belfort View Post
Hell yeah the funniest shit i've heard is jon jones would beat any version of rua.

No ****ing way jones beat the rua that beat OVEREEM AND ARONA ON THE SAME NIGHT. Yes folks you heard it right on the same ****ing night.

That rua would murder jon jones and get life sentence

That shogun almost lost to rogerio also
i dont think he would be THAT dominant against jones
leejunfan777 is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejunfan777 View Post
That shogun almost lost to rogerio also
i dont think he would be THAT dominant against jones
Lil Nog was pretty good back in pride. He beat sakuraba-overeem and henderson. Dude is just as good as big nog but he doesn't get enough credit cuz of his brother.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
Commando
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Jon Jones murders any version of Rua.

Just like Roy Jones dominates any version of James Toney.
Commando is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCAVE View Post
I know on some forums people have called him the Micheal Jordan of MMA..Although it may be early to make that claim I dont think anyone has seen this type of dominance before..
2 names comes to mind when you say "type of dominance before" and those are Anderson silva and fedor emelianenko and the micheal jordan of MMA is clearly fedor emelianenko

they said there is, tiger woods, muhammad ali, micheal jordan, roger federer and fedor emelianenko
greathamza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum