Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
bman100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Manny Pacquiao's Punching Power

HBO guys have compared him to Dempsey, but I don't that that is quite accurate, can he hit as hard as Duran? He's been described as having "reasonable power" which if fair for his weight and height but I've seen his punching power compared to the likes of Louis and Langford, he ovbiously did not hit as hard as them but how would you rate his punching power.

Also, I was discussing with a guy about what category Pacman falls into, would he be described as being an inside fighter. Again, Duran is someone who is an inside fighter probably one of the best, Manny seems to fight from mid range throwing flurries and then starting over, but can he be described as being an inside fighter?
bman100 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Manny Pacquiao's Punching Power

Manny is a middle-range boxer-puncher. HBO are usually pretty stupid with their comparisons TBH, I honestly don't think there are a lot of fighters you can compare him with. Truth be told he reminds me of calzaghe a lot with his workrate and southpaw angles, but with better punching technique and more straight punching.

I'd rate his power pretty highly, in that he can really lower a boom if he plants his feet and pick his punches instead of flurrying. Maybe like a 7 or 8/10.

Manny's inside fighting is pretty mediocre overall though. Like most Roach fighters he puts his earmuffs on a lot when guys get close, he isn't very good in the clinch and i don't see many exhibitions of physical strength from him there.

I don't subscribe to the view that all of his competition is handpicked but i'll say that he manages to keep almost everyone at that middle range. Margarito may not have great headmovement or anything but he usually bulls his way in no matter who it is....But I don't recall seeing that a lot with Pac.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
smitty_son408
J ust E njoy T his S hit
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Overrated for the most part. The Hatton performance sent the boxing world into a tail spin and most fans can't seem to see the truth, that Pac isn't the killer puncher that he is being made out to be.

It's very apparent he wears his opponents down with extreme workrate and volume of punches. Though he does pack a wallop, I don't see him being able to stop opponents with top level chins in this era or past. Mosley will see the final bell, I'm saying it right now and the notion that Pac will somehow walk through and stop a fighter of Floyd's calibre if they ever fight is beyond laughable.
smitty_son408 is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The deadly speed Pac combines with his delivery accelerates the power and deadliness of his shots...I rate him exceptionally high in terms of being lethal...the ko of Hatton is the first thing that comes to mind...and all the other ravagings he's participated in. He's an exceptionally deadly puncher...and the latter day forays vs all these much bigger guys can't really diminish that.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

He was a devestating puncher at Featherweight and below, but lacked the kind of variety and overall skill he posseses now. He naturally belongs at about 140lbs and I doubt 135lbs would be very difficult for him to get back down to. The fact that he carried his power up in weight enough to batter Cotto and put him on the canvas twice, as well as shake a monster like Margarito several times is rather impressive.

At Welterweight, I don't think he has one shot, fight-ending power against the top level guys, but he's certainly got one shot, fight-changing power.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Mosley will not see the final bell unless Pac backs off like he did in the later Cotto and Marg rounds.

I think Pacquiao COULD knock or finish at WW if he picked his shots a little more. One hit KOs probably no, but I can see him taking out guys for the count with combinations.

There's no doubt IMO that Pac could probably make 135 still. 140 easily, and he's devastating at the weight. I agree that it's his ideal.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

He has pretty good power, but its really the combination of this along with hand speed, and the fact he throws punches from angles which opponents find hard to see coming which makes him as effective as he is.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
bman100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Pac should move back there, he'd have better fights, at WW the only fights for him are Money, Berto which other meaningful fights could he have? If he stops Mosley, who has had tough fights and never been stopped, his punching power will definetly be rated a lot higher. Mosley is tough is tough so who knows? But if he KO's him, it would be a big achievement. I'd say his power is "reasonable," at least for the weight he is at now, at feather he's a beast, scary fighter at his prime.
bman100 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If Pacquiao's power is a 7/10 or "not killer", I'd like to know who is. Obviously it's not phenomenal at welterweight, but then again he isn't a welterweight by any stretch of the imagination.

Duran's power wasn't his primary asset at 147 either. Doesn't mean he couldn't knock you cold at lightweight.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Itīs great for such a small man....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Its good, but it looks better than it is because he can usually land his best punch very cleanly on the button because of his speed
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

As most said its more based on a combo of speed and power. He hits very hard, but its the combination of speed and power that makes it so devastating.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
If Pacquiao's power is a 7/10 or "not killer", I'd like to know who is. Obviously it's not phenomenal at welterweight, but then again he isn't a welterweight by any stretch of the imagination.

Duran's power wasn't his primary asset at 147 either. Doesn't mean he couldn't knock you cold at lightweight.
pac has grown into welterweight very comfortably. it's his walk around weight and he comes into the ring very well conditioned.

I think rating pac a 7 or 8 on the power scale is reasonable. He has never been a OHKO artist, he can hit hard but how many times have you seen him knock good fighters cold at any weight class?
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Manny Pacquiao absolutely shits all over the champ of White North America Dempsey, in every single aspect. But thats another thread.

I think Pacman falls into the Henry Armstrong/Aaron Pryor/Marvin Hagler class of punching power. More likely to **** you up through attritition, but is very capable of cold clocking as well
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
bman100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

But then is it proabably true the way he disposed of Hatton and Morales (3), he can actually knock guys out with a single punch.
bman100 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum