Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muhammad Ali vs Teofilo Stevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Stevenson was a great amateur boxer, not a great fighter.

Amateurs rarely peak that young, and its impossible to master the craft at a 12-15 round level fighting 3 rounds. It becomes its own sport.

Teofilo is one of the best ever at Amateur boxing, but he doesn't have even the whiff of a shot against a true great prizefighting champion. He never learned how to box pro.

Ali by what he wants any time after the 4th round.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
sirhenrycooper6

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Ali ate punches from Shavers and Foreman, you think this average joe would KO Ali?
yah, cuz stevenson was an average joe,
cunt.
he was 1 gr8 amateur and beat MANY great opponents .
no doubt ,
had he turned pro ,
he wud have been devestating .
it is fact . it is 1 different style compared 2 shavers n foreman,
n anyway , like i said , u foolish cunt ,
foreman did not land A LOT of flush shots on the head of Ali . it is fact .
Shavers prob did hit hardr then stevenson ,
but stevenson was faster , 1 better finisher, moar skilled ,
and not as wild .so just stfu u ****ing cunt .
u make no ****ing sense
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhenrycooper6 View Post
yah, cuz stevenson was an average joe,
cunt.
he was 1 gr8 amateur and beat MANY great opponents .
no doubt ,
had he turned pro ,
he wud have been devestating .
it is fact . it is 1 different style compared 2 shavers n foreman,
n anyway , like i said , u foolish cunt ,
foreman did not land A LOT of flush shots on the head of Ali . it is fact .
Shavers prob did hit hardr then stevenson ,
but stevenson was faster , 1 better finisher, moar skilled ,
and not as wild .so just stfu u ****ing cunt .
u make no ****ing sense
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #19
sirhenrycooper6

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
he is 13 yrs old
enough said 4 tht sad cunt
and u can stfu n stop shadowing my posts u faggit
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

People can say, "he never learned to box pro" but Stevenson was a full-time fighter in the golden era of amateur boxing. A terrific talent and puncher. The amateur fights then had proper knock-outs and 8oz gloves, and same scoring as the pro fights. But, yes, they were only 3 x 3 minutes.

Critics used to say "he never learned to box like a professional" about Ali too, even into the 70s while he was professional champion of the world.

Leon Spinks at 6-0-1 was not better than Stevenson, IMO.
And guys like Richard Dunn (1976), J-P Coopman (1976) and Alfredo Evangelista (1977) would likely have been easy set-ups for a pro debuting Stevenson, IMO.

Viewed in light of that perspective, I wouldn't rule out Stevenson's chances.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #21
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali wins by stoppage. It all depends on Ali's motivation at that time.
By this I mean, if motivated, Ali stops Teofilo in a few rounds. If not
motivated, Ali stops him in the later rounds.
clark is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
People can say, "he never learned to box pro" but Stevenson was a full-time fighter in the golden era of amateur boxing. A terrific talent and puncher. The amateur fights then had proper knock-outs and 8oz gloves, and same scoring as the pro fights. But, yes, they were only 3 x 3 minutes.

Critics used to say "he never learned to box like a professional" about Ali too, even into the 70s while he was professional champion of the world.

Leon Spinks at 6-0-1 was not better than Stevenson, IMO.
And guys like Richard Dunn (1976), J-P Coopman (1976) and Alfredo Evangelista (1977) would likely have been easy set-ups for a pro debuting Stevenson, IMO.

Viewed in light of that perspective, I wouldn't rule out Stevenson's chances.
I would.

Full time fighter doesn't matter. He was still an amateur, fighting amateurs over the amateur distance. Never once beat a great fighter who fought great.

Boxing LIKE a professional is not the issue. Its boxing AS a professional. To come out of a 3 X 3 minute career and start beating contenders doesn't happen. Theres a reason even the Cubans today are atleast fighting a bit before stepping up. Its an entirely different game.

As amateurish as young Ali often boxed, he still took his time and adjusted to the nuances of a distance fight. If Stevenson did this with 10 or so fights, we can talk, but to DEBUT against the undisputed champ, who would easily take him past his not only preferred but well practiced distance, is a foolish notion. There is literally nothing that Stevenson would have for Ali barring a single, huge punch. Ali fought better fighters over longer distances. Teofilo fought some great amateurs, but most often they were young, had yet to learn and grow. A great amateur is NOT a great prizefighter. He is a great amateur. They are different. Doesn't matter how good your amateur career was, until you go pro and prove it, your a ? in the prizefighting game.

To suggest Teofilo Stevenson could defeat Ali in his pro debut is asinine. And yes, Spinks would walk over Stevenson in a debut, as well. Teofilo might do well through three, but without practice and experience, he would tire, tighten, and Neon would run him over.

Again, its all different if he gets some pro experience under his belt.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #23
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
I would.

Full time fighter doesn't matter. He was still an amateur, fighting amateurs over the amateur distance. Never once beat a great fighter who fought great.

Boxing LIKE a professional is not the issue. Its boxing AS a professional. To come out of a 3 X 3 minute career and start beating contenders doesn't happen. Theres a reason even the Cubans today are atleast fighting a bit before stepping up. Its an entirely different game.

As amateurish as young Ali often boxed, he still took his time and adjusted to the nuances of a distance fight. If Stevenson did this with 10 or so fights, we can talk, but to DEBUT against the undisputed champ, who would easily take him past his not only preferred but well practiced distance, is a foolish notion. There is literally nothing that Stevenson would have for Ali barring a single, huge punch. Ali fought better fighters over longer distances. Teofilo fought some great amateurs, but most often they were young, had yet to learn and grow. A great amateur is NOT a great prizefighter. He is a great amateur. They are different. Doesn't matter how good your amateur career was, until you go pro and prove it, your a ? in the prizefighting game.

To suggest Teofilo Stevenson could defeat Ali in his pro debut is asinine. And yes, Spinks would walk over Stevenson in a debut, as well. Teofilo might do well through three, but without practice and experience, he would tire, tighten, and Neon would run him over.

Again, its all different if he gets some pro experience under his belt.
A prime Stevenson probably beats any version of Leon Spinks in a pro debut, IMO.

Obviously I'm just speculating. It may well be the case that even with extensive preparation Stevenson would prove ordinary past 4 or 5 rounds.
But you are just speculating too, you are assuming you know his limit capabilities coming straight out of the amateurs.

There is no magic difference in fighting ability between a "professional" and a great Olympic amateur.
Some "professional" boxers are awful excuses for fighters, and often good amateurs actually learn nothing in their first 10 fights or so where they are way undermatched, if they improve it is often due to what they are doing in the gyms.
It's a stretch to believe going 6, 8 or 10 rounds with a "professional" regardless of quality automatically makes you better than the greatest amateur ever.

If I was a promoter I'd be confident putting Teofilio in with fighters like Coopman, Wepner, Dunn, and, yes, Leon Spinks, on his pro debut.
That's my take.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
A prime Stevenson probably beats any version of Leon Spinks in a pro debut, IMO.

Obviously I'm just speculating. It may well be the case that even with extensive preparation Stevenson would prove ordinary past 4 or 5 rounds.
But you are just speculating too, you are assuming you know his limit capabilities coming straight out of the amateurs.

There is no magic difference in fighting ability between a "professional" and a great Olympic amateur.
Some "professional" boxers are awful excuses for fighters, and often good amateurs actually learn nothing in their first 10 fights or so where they are way undermatched, if they improve it is often due to what they are doing in the gyms.
It's a stretch to believe going 6, 8 or 10 rounds with a "professional" regardless of quality automatically makes you better than the greatest amateur ever.

If I was a promoter I'd be confident putting Teofilio in with fighters like Coopman, Wepner, Dunn, and, yes, Leon Spinks, on his pro debut.
That's my take.
Fair enough mate.

I do disagree with you on the differences between the two games, though. Pro's learn alot as they train and spar like pro's, and with other, more accomplished pro's. I was, in my day, one of the top amateur American heavyweights in the 80's, and I evolved SO much as a fighter after falling short in the Trials and going to camp with real professional contenders. But, thats me. But there is definitely evidence of a difference.

And we aren't talking about a "professional regardless of quality", we're talking about Muhammad Ali and another gold medalist with a couple tough fights over the distance behind him. Stevenson could debut against Joe Schmo and the fight probably doesn't make it out of the 1st.

I also don't see the foregone greatness in guys like Stevenson and Savon that others do. Fantastic physical talents with tons of technical promise to be sure, but fairly basic games that even in their late 20's had some evolving to do. I see much more dimension and craft in the greatest heavyweights ever than I do in the greatest amateur heavyweights ever.

But, you are correct. All speculation. Most everything we talk about is!
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum