Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
GoldenHulk
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Larry Holmes's arrogance.......

I used to be a much bigger fan of Larry's but I've gotten so tired of him disrespecting Ali, Foreman, Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield, among others.
I watched his fight against Tyson earlier and was so glad that Tyson spanked Holmes and put him to bed with that final right hand shot. I give him credit for 20 title defences but who was his toughest opponent, Tim Witherspoon i say, and he barely got by him. I thought Carl Williams outpointed him, and a very unfocused Oliver McCall busted up his face and badly cut him when he finally put the heat on Larry.
I wish Holmes had to fight a 6'5 245lb Lennox Lewis with his 84 inch reach. I think Lewis with Emanuel Steward in his corner would decision Holmes. Steward himself said that Lennox was the best heavyweight since Muhammad Ali. Larry in his book says that Lewis is a joke, a big athletic guy who doesn't like a real fight. I guess he missed Lewis vs Vitali which was a great heavyweight fight, almost no boxing just two giants throwing everything they had at each other.
I still plan on going to Easton sometime and sampling the food at the Round One restaurant i admit.
GoldenHulk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Larry Holmes's arrogance.......

He is a proud man with a big ego. Imagine to be able to do what he can do inside that ring. To be in trouble with Norton, Shavers and Witherspoon and winning by toughing it out.

Can't help but get a little high on yourself. :P Still, I get your point, he isn't exactly charismatic.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Larry has insecurity issues.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Holmes is okay.
I don't see why he grates on people.
I find Lennox Lewis more arrogant and aloof - but Lewis is okay too.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default Re: Larry Holmes arrogance.......

holmes just feels that he was unappreciated when he was at the top of the sport .
that would piss most people off
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Brummy1976
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I notice over the years though how loyal and respectfull he is of Joe Frazier, perhaps hes right about the others, bit harsh on lewis though. There are plenty of people out there that agree with him. I would say that big george is a bit of a phony though the way he flashes that smile as soon as a cameras on him, very fake..He got frazier right anyway, leader of the pack for me, a real honest to the core mans man
Brummy1976 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHulk View Post
I used to be a much bigger fan of Larry's but I've gotten so tired of him disrespecting Ali, Foreman, Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield, among others.
I watched his fight against Tyson earlier and was so glad that Tyson spanked Holmes and put him to bed with that final right hand shot. I give him credit for 20 title defences but who was his toughest opponent, Tim Witherspoon i say, and he barely got by him. I thought Carl Williams outpointed him, and a very unfocused Oliver McCall busted up his face and badly cut him when he finally put the heat on Larry.
I wish Holmes had to fight a 6'5 245lb Lennox Lewis with his 84 inch reach. I think Lewis with Emanuel Steward in his corner would decision Holmes. Steward himself said that Lennox was the best heavyweight since Muhammad Ali. Larry in his book says that Lewis is a joke, a big athletic guy who doesn't like a real fight. I guess he missed Lewis vs Vitali which was a great heavyweight fight, almost no boxing just two giants throwing everything they had at each other.
I still plan on going to Easton sometime and sampling the food at the Round One restaurant i admit.
I got tortured on a previous thread for suggesting that he comes across as self absorbed and arrogant so I won't go on - but I agreec with you pretty much - obviously just my opinion and only really based on a gut feeling of the vibe I get from the way he comes across - but I don't know the guy so who knows? But as i said on the previous thread pretty much everyone I know hates George Bush but none of them know him personally
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

To be that good, you have to have self confidence, and be in denial, if something goes wrong.

It could be worse, look at Holyfield.

That ability to deny the odds against him, meant amazing performances and victories against Tyson and Bowe, but also has led him to believe, he can still compete with the very best as he approaches his 50th Birthday.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Briscoe
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Having to deal with being one of the most forgotten boxing champs despite a long reign can be frustrating.

He wasn't as charismatic as Ali.

Wasn't as spectacular as Tyson.

He was in between those two titans of the heavyweight division. When it comes down to it Larry was a great champion with one hell of a jab and a chip on his shoulder (a la Ali).
Briscoe is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscoe View Post
Larry was a great champion with a chip on his shoulder.
Ahh, so thats why the Jab was so good. I want one of them chips!
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Briscoe
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Ahh, so thats why the Jab was so good. I want one of them chips!
Then listen to Cosell on a loop saying, "Just a crude copy of Ali" (paraphrasing there).
Briscoe is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscoe View Post
Then listen to Cosell on a loop saying, "Just a crude copy of Ali" (paraphrasing there).
The irony being that Muhammad Ali, the fighter was very special; Muhammad Ali, the gimmick was "just a crude copy of Gorgeous George" (The Wrestler); (paraphrasing there).
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
kolcade4
Keep Punchin'
ESB Senior Member

I called and talked to Larry last week and he was quite nice, of course I did feed his ego abit. I was looking for old amateur footage of my father and him , he was quite receptive and told me that he was in the same pursuit. He did speak of the Bobbick fight on the web and I told him those are the kinds of fights I have been looking for. He said that thanks to the beatings my father dished to him in the amateurs made him the great pro that he was and made him learn how to fight.
My best bet so far has been with Bert Sugar and Brent Musburger , I do believe that some headway has been made , the roadblock is that they are all on 8mm film and need conversion. I also talked to Lou Duva yesterday about the same thing.
All in all yea Larry is arrogant as shit at times, but he has every right in the world to be, look what he has done.
kolcade4 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

why do people hate on larry so much it confuses me , why dont people hate tyson for some of his past behaviour or lennox for being a smug bastard or ali for disrespecting frazier like he did , holmes is no worse than the other heavyweight greats
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
smoketh thou

vCash:

larry is the man he whips ali and tyson prime 4 prime. george bush is the man also

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum