Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #46
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Green View Post

Gamboa may be the best featherweight h2h of the last 20 years.
I know this is a controversial thread but for **** sake. Jorge Solis? ...Really?
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #47
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Fighters before 1920 looked quite shite compared to modern standards. Fitzimons and Corbett look like rank amateurs in the film of their fight.

McCallum would beat Hearns more thoroughly than Leonard did, and probably also beat Hagler (very close one, though).

Vitaly looks absolutely horrendous. (Which isn't that controversial and also partly negates my first statement - but it had to be said)

Pac beat Marquez in both fights.

Ali's wins over Norton and Young weren't robberies. Norton beat Young by a quite comfortable margin.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #48
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post

McCallum would beat Hearns more thoroughly than Leonard did, and probably also beat Hagler (very close one, though).
I don't see why this would be controversial?
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
Blood Green
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 805
vCash: 2492
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know this is a controversial thread but for **** sake. Jorge Solis? ...Really?
I didn't watch that fight live because I knew what was going to happen.

Prime Hamed H2H>Barerra and would win if they fought.
Blood Green is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #50
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Green View Post
Prime Hamed H2H>Barerra and would win if they fought.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #51
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
We've all got em. Come here and let them out!

The rules are simply, no judging. If somebody quotes your controversial statement with anything other than good natured fun, ignore it. This is supposed to be fun.

Here are a few of mine:
Chris Byrd had the style to give Lennox Lewis fits and may have upset him had they met after Byrds victory over Tua, when Lennox was really starting to slow.

Jack Dempsey was a champion and has a high place in boxing history, but wasn't as great a fighter as often stated, and I think film and results both show it.

Can rate Harry Greb quite high, but without film, I can never see if he was as good as Robinson, so he will always rate 2nd. Always.

Rocky Marciano loses to every other heavyweight he shares the top 10 list with. I have him at 6.

Had Felix Sturm got the title shot instead of Oscar De La Hoya, he'd have won a close decision.

Have at it!
I think Byrd would have always given Lennox some problems, because Lennox wouldnt box him like a statue from the outside like the Klitschkos. Steward knew it, Lennox knew it, so they took the Range Rover instead. Smart move.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #52
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't see why this would be controversial?
In the threads I've done about those match-ups nearly everyone has picked Hagler to beat Mike and most have picked Hearns to do so.

To continue: Bowe (at his very best) was as skilled as Louis (but with slower hands, though), but bigger, stronger and (a bit) more powerful. Bowe of the first Holyfield fight would probably stop Louis of the Schmeling rematch.

Schmeling, Baer, Braddock, Galento look worse on film than most subsequent ATG HW's top opponents.

Last edited by Bokaj; 04-02-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #53
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
We've all got em. Come here and let them out!

The rules are simply, no judging. If somebody quotes your controversial statement with anything other than good natured fun, ignore it. This is supposed to be fun.

Here are a few of mine:
Chris Byrd had the style to give Lennox Lewis fits and may have upset him had they met after Byrds victory over Tua, when Lennox was really starting to slow.

Jack Dempsey was a champion and has a high place in boxing history, but wasn't as great a fighter as often stated, and I think film and results both show it.

Can rate Harry Greb quite high, but without film, I can never see if he was as good as Robinson, so he will always rate 2nd. Always.

Rocky Marciano loses to every other heavyweight he shares the top 10 list with. I have him at 6.

Had Felix Sturm got the title shot instead of Oscar De La Hoya, he'd have won a close decision.

Have at it!


Agree with all of this tbh.
Valane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #54
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

if you take any fighters highlight reel, take out of the colour, and slow it down you can make them seem like an all time great through analysis of every move they made, step they took, and punch they threw. bonus points for added in an explanation about how the angles they used related back to fencing, which means it's sheer genius
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #55
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The dirty dirty.
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't see why this would be controversial?
Nonsense typically inspires controversy.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #56
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Nonsense typically inspires controversy.
Don't just snipe. Man up with your own.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #57
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Funny how opinions of Aaron Pryor being overrated and underrated have both made this thread.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #58
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
To continue: Bowe (at his very best) was as skilled as Louis (but with slower hands, though), but bigger, stronger and (a bit) more powerful. Bowe of the first Holyfield fight would probably stop Louis of the Schmeling rematch.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Swarmer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #59
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Seems to be the usual trend of those not having the balls to post their own opinions being content to come down on others'.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #60
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,177
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Controversial boxing opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Funny how opinions of Aaron Pryor being overrated and underrated have both made this thread.
Where is he normally rated to start with?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013