Arguello loses to Pep but beats Armstrong 2 9.52%
Arguello Loses to both 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
cobra1
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Alexis Arguello

I just want to know how every1 thinks he does against Willie Pep at Featherweight and Armstrong at lightweight?
cobra1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Alexis Arguello

I think he loses to both. Gets outboxed by Pep and uncomfortably crowded by armstrong. 2 worst style matchups for him ever though, so that sucks I guess.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

The question would be could Alexis' rein down as much leather on Pep as Saddler did?
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Arguello is simply better than Saddler who Pep struggled with because physically he was overpowered, well thats the same situation here, although Pep wasn't prime against Saddler. Pep has lots of speed, movement, defense to offset Arguello's physical advantages

As for Armstrong, he has so much range on him and a great uppercut, which Armstrong could be susceptable on the inside, on the outside he bosses Armstrong. Bascially thought that would be Arguello-Pryor again against a smaller, weaker, slower Pryor
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Arguello's very over-rated on here. How anybody thinks a fighter who was comfortably out-boxed by Vilomar Fernandez is going to get past Willie Pep is beyond me. He's probably physically overmatched against Armstrong too, as well as being pretty weak inside.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

He matches up far better with Armstrong, although I still wouldn't favor him.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Arguello's very over-rated on here. How anybody thinks a fighter who was comfortably out-boxed by Vilomar Fernandez is going to get past Willie Pep is beyond me. He's probably physically overmatched against Armstrong too, as well as being pretty weak inside.
I thought that the Fernandez fight was pretty close. Also thought that he would have ko'ed him with 5 more stanzas.

Arguello has his weaknesses with boxer types no doubt, but KO'ing Pep is not out of the question. Sandy Saddler himself had weaknesses against boxer types...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
D.T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Pep UD Arguello
Armstrong TKO Arguello
D.T is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Liechhardt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thats how i se it to Pep ud, Armstrong tko 12.
Liechhardt is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Agree, i, much as I llke Arguello.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
How anybody thinks a fighter who was comfortably out-boxed by Vilomar Fernandez is going to get past Willie Pep is beyond me.
Arguello wasn't "comfortably" outboxed at all, the fight could've gone either way.

You could just as well note that Pep's struggles with Saddler (particularly the way he was annihilated in their first fight) raises questions about how well his style works against a much taller, rangier boxer-puncher.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #12
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Well Arguello's very different from Saddler. Saddler could cut off the ring and apply pressure and had a much more varied offensive arsenal, in contrast to Arguello who tended to just camp and wait for an opportunity to land a big bomb. He could also be very slow getting off. And as we all know, Pep was well past his best in the Saddler fights.

For the record I think I had Fernandez beating Arguello by a good few rounds - not that it matters particularly, since even struggling with a fighter of that level like he did doesn't exactly speak wonders for his chances against arguably the best mover ever.

Also, Arguello was still very green at 126.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Arguello pressured Marcel and Escalera pretty well. Don't know if we can tell how far past prime Pep was against Saddler without adequate footage
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
It wasn't a comfortable out-boxing it was a close fight and Arguello had definitely declined in some areas as he moved up in weight. He became less mobile and less inclined to pressure, as you say later, he tended to wait for his opportunities.

At Featherweight he faced a much better boxer than Fernandez, in Eernesto Marcel, and gave him a real good go, applying pressure nicely and getting his shots off. Although he was still abit out-maneuvered at times.

Also Arguello was very strong inside, in fact he is one of the strongest Featherweights around.

I think he loses both fights though.

Quote:
Well Arguello's very different from Saddler. Saddler could cut off the ring and apply pressure and had a much more varied offensive arsenal, in contrast to Arguello who tended to just camp and wait for an opportunity to land a big bomb. He could also be very slow getting off. And as we all know, Pep was well past his best in the Saddler fights.

For the record I think I had Fernandez beating Arguello by a good few rounds - not that it matters particularly, since even struggling with a fighter of that level like he did doesn't exactly speak wonders for his chances against arguably the best mover ever.

Also, Arguello was still very green at 126.
Disagree.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

These just arent good matchups for Alexis, man.

He loses to both. No trouble picking that.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum