Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default So what's up with Fedor?

Whys he losing all of a sudden? Has he really declined or is it the guys he's facing in strikeforce? Or was he just never really invincible like people thought he was? After all he's been in some hairy situations in past fights too , even though he won them all.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: So what's up with Fedor?

People do get old. The guy has been competing at the highest level since the 90's and has racked up a total number of fights in Judo, Sambo, Combat Sambo and MMA that probably equal if not greater than half of the UFC HW combined.

Fedor has achieved more in Judo than many career top level American Judo fighters, hes also regarded as the best in Sambo and Combat Sambo.

Randy is older but Randy started MMA far later, did not have as many fights and has had far less combat bouts than Fedor.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moronoCuntry View Post
People do get old. The guy has been competing at the highest level since the 90's and has racked up a total number of fights in Judo, Sambo, Combat Sambo and MMA that probably equal if not greater than half of the UFC HW combined.

Fedor has achieved more in Judo than many career top level American Judo fighters, hes also regarded as the best in Sambo and Combat Sambo.

Randy is older but Randy started MMA far later, did not have as many fights and has had far less combat bouts than Fedor.
Randy started mma in 1997, Fedor in 2000. Randy has 29 fights, and Fedor has 35. I'm willing to bet that Randy has wrestled as many matches as Fedor has competed in Judo and Sambo.

The difference between Couture and Fedor is that Couture adapted his style with his age. Fedor has yet to do that.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Partly its age - while Fedor isn't exactly old he has had a long career and Russian athletes tend to physically decline earlier than Americans.

But I do think its goes further than Fedor simply getting old. Firstly against both Werdum and Silva he hasn't turned up in top shape and has come across unmotivated and disinterested. Secondly in both fights his gameplan was just horrible - not taking the first opportunity to escape Werdum's guard and trying to physical bully the much larger Silva. Thirdly he hasn't kept up with the changes in the sport - doesn't look comfortable in the cage, bigger heavyweights are quicker and more coordinated, etc. Fourthly it just feels that the post-Pride era where he fought substandard competition dulled his fighting senses as he coasted against the likes of Hunt and Choi.

He could revitalise his career still (it is after all only two defeats) but I don't think his heart is into it. I'm convinced if it was up to him he'd just retire.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Partly its age - while Fedor isn't exactly old he has had a long career and Russian athletes tend to physically decline earlier than Americans.

But I do think its goes further than Fedor simply getting old. Firstly against both Werdum and Silva he hasn't turned up in top shape and has come across unmotivated and disinterested. Secondly in both fights his gameplan was just horrible - not taking the first opportunity to escape Werdum's guard and trying to physical bully the much larger Silva. Thirdly he hasn't kept up with the changes in the sport - doesn't look comfortable in the cage, bigger heavyweights are quicker and more coordinated, etc. Fourthly it just feels that the post-Pride era where he fought substandard competition dulled his fighting senses as he coasted against the likes of Hunt and Choi.

He could revitalise his career still (it is after all only two defeats) but I don't think his heart is into it. I'm convinced if it was up to him he'd just retire.
this pretty much sums it up. hes just bored and disinterested.
all this stuff about him getting old is nonsense. hes taken 1/3 of the punishment most 34 year old fighters have and is still sharp and quickfisted when on the attack.
hes still well capable of beating werdum and silva he just brought a horrible gameplan.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've posted this on another forum before:

Problem is, he won't change. Never.

He's been training with the same group of people in the same way for years. Even after the Werdum loss he went back and did the same thing for the Silva fight. The problem is that it worked for him for so long because he busted his arse and trained as hard as he could as often as he could.

It's been noticeable since the Arlovski fight that he's just not as motivated as he once was. I don't think he's in it mentally any more and now that the physical part is catching up to him I just don't think he can keep up.

He's only 34 but some guys just get older sooner. He's been punishing his body for years, and it's only a matter of time before that takes it's toll. Jens Pulver, Pedro Rizzo, Big Nog are all guys in their mid 30s, but they all look 50 and their bodies are ****ed. Fedor might just be one more guy on that list.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

maybe he should move down to light heavy . I think fighting bigger , skilled guys might be causing him problems.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum