Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #301
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Re: green v tarver is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Didnt he have major money issues a few years ago?

Pretty sure he declared bankruptcy or something.

After Rocky, a few big fights since and his commentating I'm sure he is doing alright now...but he still probably needs the green.
Now u mention it i recall reading the same, or at the very least that he was due to file for Bankrupcy.

Quote:
Interestingly, eight days before the match, Tarver filed for [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] protection. Assuming creditors accepted his proposed debt repayment plan before the fight, all Tarver's previous debts would have been discharged, and the $2 million dollar purse from the win would have been his, free and clear. (ESPN.com news services, May 17, 2004) (The Law of Debtors and Creditors, ****** and Westbrook, p. 421, which quotes the ESPN article.)

Source [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
TCboxa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #302
bulij
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Last start Tarver was 46 pounds heavier than he'd ever fought at before - he'd blown himself up into a flabby blob to campaign at heavyweight - hardly surprising he didn't look very active.

The Tarver who'll turn up in 13 weeks time will be a minimum of 21 pounds lighter and probably won't even resemble or perform anything like the flabby heavyweight version.
Thats the problem with this fight , Tarver has never fought
@ cruiserweight he's really been inactive for a couple of years .
He has recently had one go @ heavy and looked shit against a bum
he will now drop down to 195lbs and at 42 in a heavier division that he had all is sucsess will be lucky to last 6 rounds IMO

At LHW he would win by UD but at cruiser I just dont think so .

Danny will continue to be the undisputed grandad champ of the world
And will look to become super champ against BHOP next.
bulij is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #303
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346

The bloke Tarver fought last wasnt to bad, i wouldnt call him a bum but i also wouldnt rate him that high either, his best preformance was in 2009 against Oleg Maskaev who was the former WBC heavyweight champ at the time and had defended the title sucessfully on 3 occasions. He knocked out the former WBC heavyweight champ in one round, his fight with Tarver was roughly a year after this victory.

I do feel a sence of what your saying and i wont be placing any money on Tarver, i just dont think something is right with this one, most if not all of Dannys recent fights, RJJ, Siaca, Briggs, BJ have all had some sort of catch 22 associated with them by way of Dannyweight contractual agrement.

RJJ - issues with alleged loaded wraps and illegal shot on the back of the head.
Siaca - never fought at CW before, was also stoped with blows to the back of the head.
Briggs - retired for 4 yrs due to nerological issues, shouldnt have been in the ring with him and took a dive, better farce reported from all bookies etc.
BJ - Dannyweight incentive bullsht, also another guy who wasnt active and had a padded record to make Danny look good for his Briggs fckup.

So i am not to sure what the catch with Tarver is other than if he is the same guy i watched today in his last fight then he is ideal for Danny and Danny will imo stop the guy or make him look sht as Tarver wont engage and will be on the back foot most of the time trying to survive just so he can say the same guy who knocked out RJJ couldnt knock him out. I dont think Tarver is going to try stop Danny unless we see fireworks from the opening round because imo thats what Dannys going to do, jump on Tarver get on the inside and not let him box on the back foot.

Bhop wont come to Aussie imo unless he really needs the money, he is spooked by what happen to RJJ.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #304
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Didnt he have major money issues a few years ago?

Pretty sure he declared bankruptcy or something.

After Rocky, a few big fights since and his commentating I'm sure he is doing alright now...but he still probably needs the green.
I also dont know why others have stated that Tarver's well off.
Sure he starred in a movie, but it wasnt like it was the next Cameron, or Nolan flick, it was Rocky ****ing 6. Didnt Stallone finance that film himself? He probably got rewarded with milk duds and Rocky memorabilia for his services.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #305
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
What fight would you suggest i watch in able to see what form tarver will be in come Green vs Tarver time? and im not being a smart ass when i ask this question.

You'll never find the future recorded in a video clip.

What we'll get in 13 weeks time is a Tarver somewhere between the one who won multiple world titles, including wins over a much better Roy Jones Jnr than Green beat (twice), Glen Johnson, Montell Griffin, Clinton Woods etc, and the overblown heavyweight he was last start.

My point above was that last start Tarver was 46 pounds heavier than he'd ever fought before and it's hardly surprising he didn't look very active at that weight.

The Tarver who'll turn up in 13 weeks time will be a minimum of 21 pounds lighter, much closer to his natural weight and logically much more like the Tarver we've come to know.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #306
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulij View Post
Thats the problem with this fight , Tarver has never fought
@ cruiserweight he's really been inactive for a couple of years .
He has recently had one go @ heavy and looked shit against a bum
he will now drop down to 195lbs and at 42 in a heavier division that he had all is sucsess will be lucky to last 6 rounds IMO

At LHW he would win by UD but at cruiser I just dont think so .

Danny will continue to be the undisputed grandad champ of the world
And will look to become super champ against BHOP next.

It's easy to put spin on an upcoming bout both positively and negatively.

For that reason the facts are the best thing to work with.

Tarver is a low ring milage 42 year old old - he's only had 34 fights, and only 15 have gone the distance!

Tarver has never been stopped, has been a multiple world title holder, including wins over a much better Roy Jones Jnr than Green beat (twice), Glen Johnson, Montell Griffin, Clinton Woods etc,

Green is 38 years old, is coming off health issues that resulted in an operation (hardly the ideal preperation) and has had the same number of fights as Tarver.

Both fighters fought most of their careers at weights lower than cruiserweight - but the vast majority of fighters do go up in weight over their careers.

The facts above point to a good match-up.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #307
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I know there has been issues with a few of Greens fights but the RJJ fight went smooth until Roy got beat the hand wraps were inspected 4 times and passed and green was throwing a punch and roy turned his head . Roy got beat and had to have a winge
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #308
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedrichw View Post
I know there has been issues with a few of Greens fights but the RJJ fight went smooth until Roy got beat the hand wraps were inspected 4 times and passed and green was throwing a punch and roy turned his head . Roy got beat and had to have a winge
Exactly - there was absolutely nothing wrong with the RJJ fight.

Most on here were predicting RJJ to win, certainly no one predicted a first round KO win to Green (were there any betting plunges like there were with the Briggs fight?).

As ced said, the wraps and legality of Green's punches only became an issue after RJJ lost. He had plenty of other excuses too - reckons when he piped up about Green's wraps he was told 'get in the ring or else'.

The guy obviously has an out-of-control ego, which is why he's continuing to fight and risk brain damage instead of taking notice of his decline in form and retiring.

Hopkins won't come out here because he knows Green is too powerful for him.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #309
Contendo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:

I know there has been issues with a few of Greens fights but the RJJ fight went smooth until Roy got beat the hand wraps were inspected 4 times and passed and Green was throwing a punch and Roy turned his head.

Roy got beat and had to have a whinge.

Well said. Also because it was a 1st rd KO, Roy and his team had to put some sort of spin on it.
Contendo is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #310
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think that the TARVER fight will also run smoothly however if green is to win on points i think TARVER will claim he was robbed and if he gets KOed i think a hand wraps illegal punch will rear it's head again
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #311
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

Quote:
yeah Roy raised Greens hand after the fight.the hand wraps
excuse was just B.S to salvage his fight with Hopkins.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #312
whipsy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think that the TARVER fight will also run smoothly however if green is to win on points i think TARVER will claim he was robbed and if he gets KOed i think a hand wraps illegal punch will rear it's head again
Or an illegal drink in the corner ala BJ Flores, Greeny can't catch a break
whipsy is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #313
bulij
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
Or I was weight drained and had to lose 12kgs
bulij is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #314
patrick
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Title or no title, Green is the only fighter bringing "name" boxers to Australia.

Like it or not, no one had to go through the Argie phone book to find out
where Tarver's from.

Look past the title, look past the ages and accept it for what it is.

One of our own versus a former world champion with a pretty good resume'.
patrick is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #315
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulij View Post
Or I was weight drained and had to lose 12kgs
Exactly.

On the one hand, before the fight you had an article in which Green stated that Flores asked for more money and they offered him incentives to come in under 200lbs, on the other you have Flores commenting on his facebook page that there were no weight restrictions, then his whining after the fight that there were weight restrictions and then started questioning Green's drink.

Like RJJ - before the fight, all was good - after losing the fight it was illegal handrwaps, illegal punches, etc.

As soon as you see multiple excuses being used after a fighter loses, you know he's reaching.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum