Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Roy Jones and his use of the jab.

I watched Jones-Mccallum for the first time a couple of days ago, and i found something i wasnt expecting in it, which was Jones use of textbook jabbing throughout the fight. He used it to set up his commbinations effectively at times, even though it was plain to see that it was a style that didnt suit him very well. It was still an interesting insight into what Jones would have been like as a textbook fighter. However it might have Mccallums craftiness and experience which forced Jones to change his style and methods in the fight. Do any of you have any more examples of Jones effectively using the jab in some of his fights, as it was not a punched he used often or was great at using usually?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ONnQv6hFo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6uOnoSwK-0&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViE1dJzNIgg&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCheKDMdag&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OUIYRT1RdI&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up-5FNtSwII&feature=related[/ame]
sportofkings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones and his use of the jab.

He wasn't actually particularly successful with the jab though. I mean he missed with it a lot. What he did do was feint with it nicely in this fight, to the point where I personally am not 100% sure when he is missing and when he is feinting on occasion.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I haven't seen this fight but those punch stats indicate a relatively close fight. 209 punches landed for Mike? Surprising.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
He wasn't actually particularly successful with the jab though. I mean he missed with it a lot. What he did do was feint with it nicely in this fight, to the point where I personally am not 100% sure when he is missing and when he is feinting on occasion.
Maybe effective is exaggerating, but he made some use of the jab against a crafty,technically skilled veteran. He threw it a lot more than in his other fights, and while i dont think Roys jab was anything special, its still interesting to see him fight in a conventional way.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I haven't seen this fight but those punch stats indicate a relatively close fight. 209 punches landed for Mike? Surprising.
Jones was landing far harder punches though, and he seemed to be able to steal the rounds that were close, hence the lopsided scorecard. But mccallum, even at fourty years of age, gave a good account of himself. He landed some decent punches and he gave Roy a tougher fight than many others did when Roy was at his best. This is an interesting matchup to watch, if not a barnburner of a fight.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

He used it better against Ruiz, but he showed he can definitely use it as a weapon. He can come up short with it a lot, but when it lands it has enough speed and pop to stop someone from coming in or set up a combination effectively.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

when i just saw the title of this thread, i was actually going to mention the McCallum fight as a good indicator that Jones jab really wasn't anything special.As opposed to the idea his performance against Paz shows he really had an awesome one when he used it.

No need for that though, i see.

it was ok.hard for a fighter with that sort of handspeed to have an outright poor jab really.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
He used it better against Ruiz, but he showed he can definitely use it as a weapon. He can come up short with it a lot, but when it lands it has enough speed and pop to stop someone from coming in or set up a combination effectively.
i agree. jones won the fight vs ruiz with the jab. had never seen him throw it like that before. the first jones-bhop fight is where both fighters came up short time and time again with the jab. both trying to get the other to commit and you ended up having a boring fight.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He did is as more of a statement, but he used his jab to peck Pazienza to pieces.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jones knew the mechanics of boxing. It's obvious in his excellent commentary, but with the speed he possessed the jab was simply a decoy to establish range and setup his leads which were much more effective.
You can believe Jones when he said he carried Mcallum in the fight because of his enormous respect for him. Mcallum was slow as a sloth compared to jones and jones simply toyed with him the entire fight.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
when i just saw the title of this thread, i was actually going to mention the McCallum fight as a good indicator that Jones jab really wasn't anything special.As opposed to the idea his performance against Paz shows he really had an awesome one when he used it.

No need for that though, i see.

it was ok.hard for a fighter with that sort of handspeed to have an outright poor jab really.
paz is where that jab is at baby! his jab was SPECTACULAR there. was paz a natural 168 pounder? no. was paz at his prime? no. was jones' among the best jabs that night in the entire decade? yes!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJlNvkSf1s[/ame]

watch as he slices a decent ****ing fighter to ribbons
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 4000

Roy rarely uses his jab, but if he does, then his opponent should be honored, because it means that fight is harder or his opponents is harder to hit than Roy expected
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Jones is short with quite a small reach, he's never going to be able to outjab a rangy ATG jabber like McCallum, so the jab wasn't effective and he had to step in to land it effectively and he changed it to a long hook when he did that. He's fast enough to lead with left hooks or rights throwing the jab out the window

Against Pazienza who doesn't have the range he starts pumping it to control a smaller opponent. I could see him doing that if he faced Duran or Benn too. He tried to use his jab against Toney but Toney was slipping it
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Anyone remember what roids Roy was on?

His physique was very impressive there.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree with Lora, Roy didn't have an ATG jab by any means. Not even close. It's very fast and reasonably acccurate, but even at the best of times you can see that he's a bit tense when throwing it and doesn't commit as he should. He almost always pulls his head back a little bit while throwing it, which he would be punished for if not for his speed. Probably the worst punch in his arsenal by a fair margin.
Bokaj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum