Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Strength in Boxing

How important is it? Anyone who's boxed before or watched a little bit can see where it's useful: on the inside and clinches, in helping to generate clubbing, "heavy" punches... Who are the strongest fighters you've ever seen and who applied it well? Who's underrated and overrated here? Is strength as important in today's fight game as it used to be back in the day with more infighting?
Swarmer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength in Boxing

Ali is grossly underated here. You can see him doing very well with Foreman up close. Nobody really muscled Ali. Enormously strong human being.

Pep, too.

I bet it's about the balance.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I bet it's about the balance.
yeah, otherwise it's just 'weight'.
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

I agree, McGrain, which is one of the reasons I think he could have been a bonafide power hitter given the right adjustments. Langford and Dempsey also impress me with their film-proven ability to muscle it out with other guys with a lot of pounds on them at fight night. Lot of functional strength there.

I think Monzon was also very hard to beat in this category, I actually think he used his strength better than any MW i've ever seen probably. Yes, even more than Hagler.

Leverage and balance are tops; can't wrestle without proven chops in both.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Monzon was tops as well as Emile Griffith..he handled Dick tiger pretty well despite being outweighed by 10 lbs..I thought Jim Watt was a pretty strong guy as well, to name just one of so many.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali was very underrated strength wise, as i said in another thread his performance in fotc was a precursor to the Foreman fight, in that he was pushing Joe back with relative ease. He handled Foreman very well in the clinches too in their own match, which is no mean feat given Foremans obvious strength.

I also thought Chuvalo was one of the few other guys who was able to hold ground against Foreman, which was imppressive.

Tyson is overrated because of his physique, he used to constantly get pushed about in the clinches.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jack Dempsey was, for his size especially, a very strong dude...and this was the opinion of Archie Moore that I saw in an interview with him.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valane View Post
Tyson is overrated because of his physique, he used to constantly get pushed about in the clinches.
I agree, I'm not sure if it was a technical, mental, or physical thing but he was never all that on the inside. I suspect that his naturally limited stamina(asthma) may have had something to do with it for sure. Holyfield(senzu bean version) bullied the shit out of him, and it's another reason why I think Ali would absolutely dominate Tyson.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Stamina is as important as strength, weight, balance, wrestling technique
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Jack Dempsey was, for his size especially, a very strong dude...and this was the opinion of Archie Moore that I saw in an interview with him.
RC very true about Jack Dempsey. He was described by Nat Fleischer as "amazingly strong ". Though about 185-90 for his bouts, from the waist up he
was built like a strong 215-20 pound heavyweight. As posted before,look at how he grabs the "sleeping" Luis Firpo, under the arms ,and bending down lifts Firpo to his feet. Yes,amazingly strong ! Probably pound for pound our strongest heavyweight,I reckon !
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

strength isn't important in boxing like in other sports.look at wrestlers,nfl players,weight-lifters...beasts
ticar is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

sonny liston is maybe the strongest hw ever.look at his physique,he had huge shoulders,back and hands,and he never lifted weights
ticar is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't want to turn this into a Marciano-Dempsey debate, but I personally think Marciano was stronger than Jack Dempsey. I think Marciano's strength was his # 1 asset. Yes, over power and stamina.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Strength is also very important for holding a solid guard, especially for a high guard (like Pac often uses for example). Without enough strength a guard will be smashed to bits even if it's technically correct.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I don't want to turn this into a Marciano-Dempsey debate, but I personally think Marciano was stronger than Jack Dempsey. I think Marciano's strength was his # 1 asset. Yes, over power and stamina.
You and I have discussed before how developing his physical strength was an obsession of Marciano's from an early age (ditto Chuvalo, who stood his ground against Frazier, Bonavena and Foreman until getting hurt). Rocky was a center on the scholastic gridiron, indicative of how powerful he was from an early age. Marciano-Chuvalo would have been a brutal collision for as long as it lasted. Rex Layne's entire strategy was based upon trying to bull Marciano into reverse, putting him on the back foot and taking away his punching power, only to utterly fail. What Foreman did that set him apart was to use his physical strength aggressively, in illegal fashion to shove his opponents back. Jeffries also did this, but against significantly smaller, lighter and weaker competition.

Like Tyson, Hagler's physical strength is overrated due to his impressive physique. There's evidence that Antuofermo, Minter, Hamsho and SRL were all stronger than he was. Marv stood his ground impressively against Duran, but El Cholo was a former LW.

Immediately after Hamsho handed Czyz his first career defeat, Bobby explicitly stated that Mustafa's greater physical strength and bodily maturity was the specific reason for his win. (Czyz was still just 20 years old, and would eventually wind up a 220 pound HW.)
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum