Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Strength in Boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I don't want to turn this into a Marciano-Dempsey debate, but I personally think Marciano was stronger than Jack Dempsey. I think Marciano's strength was his # 1 asset. Yes, over power and stamina.
ticar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Polo28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I know he does not light a candle to some of the greats you guys are mentioning, but Sakio Bika seems to be pretty strong in his clinching and clubbing shots.
Polo28 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticar View Post
sonny liston is maybe the strongest hw ever.look at his physique,he had huge shoulders,back and hands,and he never lifted weights
Not the mancrush eye-test again... please. There is only so much (and not much at that) you can tell by getting your mangaze on...

Foreman is an obvious choice. His massive, vascular, throbbing muscularity, accented with silver rivulets of perspiration...
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Not the mancrush eye-test again... please. There is only so much (and not much at that) you can tell by getting your mangaze on...

Foreman is an obvious choice. His massive, vascular, throbbing muscularity, accented with silver rivulets of perspiration...
You do have your moments.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I don't want to turn this into a Marciano-Dempsey debate, but I personally think Marciano was stronger than Jack Dempsey. I think Marciano's strength was his # 1 asset. Yes, over power and stamina.
Hard for me to agree definitively because we don't have any great examples of him competing with heavyweight of good size in this regard, but i do agree with you when you say that it was his greatest asset.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

yes i forgot foreman,but i don't know did he work with weights...
liston on juice and with weight training would be a ****ing tank,like an nfl blocker
ticar is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

who gives a **** about lifting weights when you can do shit like this?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #23
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

almost every professional athlete is lifting weights,yet boxers shouldn't.
i'm not saying stuff like that is bad,but weight training is common in every sport today.
by the way,here is probably the strongest fighter today.he lifts weights and does some strongman stuff
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYYUkW4uFA[/ame]
ticar is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
I agree, I'm not sure if it was a technical, mental, or physical thing but he was never all that on the inside. I suspect that his naturally limited stamina(asthma) may have had something to do with it for sure. Holyfield(senzu bean version) bullied the shit out of him, and it's another reason why I think Ali would absolutely dominate Tyson.
OMG Yesssa swarma char! 110% AGREED m8!! You a Boxing Xpert!!!

PRIME Ali VS Tyson would IMO be a ****ing mistmatch - it a FACT!

It be v.much like Ali VS Frazier 2 And Buster VS Tyson combined into 1 fight - BUT Ali clinches Midget Lisp 197 times instead of 147 times And Ali wins by KO9, a round faster then Bummy Douglas RAPED PEAK Tyson like a weak little helpless bitch.

AND Ali does not even lose 1 round to Tinfoil at all And does not get hit by a lucky haymaker like Buster was And even if he was it probs would not even hurt him one time even.

Cos Ali is LOTS stronger then little natural-criuserweight Holyfeild - It mean he can easy bully/manhandle/push-around Tinkerbell like a bloody ragdoll all night long.

Muhammed would easy time teh overrated flashy yet v.predictable headmovements of Hypejawb Mikey with his jab And straight even better then Bummy Douglas And Old Lenny did. Tiny Tyson would be forced to desparatly And hopelessly luck for one lucky ko-punch just like in all his losses - he deffo would not land a single combo on Ali or waste his v.limited stamina on bodypunches.

FInally - Tinfoil has a Glass-Heart to get v.frustrated And intimidated by Ali manhandling And verbally taunting him every round like a $2 ho - so he might shamefully quit like he did when Commanda Vander was wrestling him accross teh ring And laughing at his best Haymakers just like Ali would do. OR if he dont quit, little Tinkerbell would get v.tired cos he has Glass-Lungs that would deffo be exposed by Ali like they were by Buster, Holyfeild, Lenny, Danny And Pikey Kev - so mini Mikey would be GASSED And slow after 5 or 6 rounds anyway.

Foreman Hooooooooooook!!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I bet it's about the balance.
You remember when we debated about Burley vs Griffith and you mentioned Burley out muscled Smith?

Its all due to angles and balance, a lot of guys will box and apply their strength in a straight line, if you alter the application of your strength slightly to the side you will knock them off balance, and appear to be stronger.

I'd say I'm not that strong but I can push around a few Light-Heavyweights I spar with, only if it is one or two times, but you'd think that was some feat of strength when really it was all angles.

Strength is useful in boxing for knocking guys off balance inside, as Burley showed with Smith.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #26
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It also has something to do with power, if trained in the right places.

If you strengthen your legs and shoulders, and change not even a slight ounce of your technique(Assuming you arent doing something drastically wrong already.) your power is going to increase.

Core strength makes every single part of your overall game better.

Its also a very important tool on the inside. Hard to win an inside battle if your opponent can push and bully you around.

The importance of training ones brute strength can be a little bit understated. While boxers often forgo traditional weight lifting, every modern trainer has fighters on a strength program. Kettle bells seem popular right now.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
MarcianoIsABum

vCash:

Nobody sane person cares about Marciano or Dempsey. The strongest heavyweight is Foreman period. The strongest welterweight is Pernell Whitaker
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #28
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Strength is crucial on the inside game. It would be very difficult to work on the inside if the other person can easily just push you around.

When I box, more often than not I end up being the stronger and harder hitting person in the ring. It is a bit odd and puzzling to myself because I usually end up comming out on top in battles where the other person and I are trying to push the other back. Even against people who I've seen lift more weight than I can I end up comming out on top in the strength department when we start to fight. I don't use angles, so I can't say that I simply used their own momentum against them, so I really have no explanation for it.

I guess it all comes down to where your strength lies. I'm sure there are fighters who can powerlift huge amounts of weight, but then they get in the ring and the other person pushes them around like they weigh 20lbs.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum