Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #16
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Joe Frazier vs Ernie Shavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
Pretty poor example using the iron jawed Jerry Quarry as the reason Shavers wouldn't fare well against Frazier,don't you think? I mean,Quarry's chin was actually tried and tested against the biggest punchers the division offered during his era.And as much as it truly pains me to say so,I really can't really say the same for good ol' Joe Frazier.
Apparently you've mistaken an example of one man's chin for another's. See how well Shavers recovers against Quarry? Frazier recovered better against GEORGE FOREMAN than Shavers did against Jerry Quarry. Very different leagues of chin here. It has nothing to do with Quarry's chin, for crying out loud. Frazier can get out of trouble against Shavers just like he can get into it. I can't say I think Shavers can get out of trouble with Frazier on his ass.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

frazier by tko before the 5th
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #18
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit
vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Apparently you've mistaken an example of one man's chin for another's. See how well Shavers recovers against Quarry? Frazier recovered better against GEORGE FOREMAN than Shavers did against Jerry Quarry. Very different leagues of chin here. It has nothing to do with Quarry's chin, for crying out loud. Frazier can get out of trouble against Shavers just like he can get into it. I can't say I think Shavers can get out of trouble with Frazier on his ass.

I've not mistaken anything.I don't,however,have any delusions about a certain fighter's ability to take a punch,either.

Shavers chin was clearly never his strongest point,but,as you say,with "Frazier on his ass" - this creates alot of openings for a man with legitimate knockout power in either hand.And a man,I might add,who was arguably a better puncher and stronger starter than Foreman.I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to say Frazier is most vulnerable during the earliest part of the fight.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
I've not mistaken anything.I don't,however,have any delusions about a certain fighter's ability to take a punch,either.

Shavers chin was clearly never his strongest point,but,as you say,with "Frazier on his ass" - this creates alot of openings for a man with legitimate knockout power in either hand.And a man,I might add,who was arguably a better puncher and stronger starter than Foreman.I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to say Frazier is most vulnerable during the earliest part of the fight.
Judging by your comment about me using Quarry's chin as a case against Shavers, I'd say you were completely mistaken, but, hey, I'm only the one who made the post you referenced. How would I know what I meant?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #20
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Judging by your comment about me using Quarry's chin as a case against Shavers, I'd say you were completely mistaken, but, hey, I'm only the one who made the post you referenced. How would I know what I meant?

The post that I referenced was the one that featured a youtube clip of the Quarry-Shavers fight.And yes,Quarry's chin is relevant here as he took a few clean shots from Shavers during this brief encounter.A fighter with a lesser chin(as Frazier had) would not have absorbed those punches so well.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #21
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

smokin' joe would chew shavers up
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Tuaman
Return Of The Terminator
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Yes, Shavers hit harder than Foreman, but Foreman's style was more suited to Joe Frazier than Shavers is.

Frazier, TKO, 7
This.

George threw low, clubbing uppercuts right where Frazier was bobbing and weaving. He didn't punch downwards and miss Frazier the way Ali and other opponents did. Frazier was always moving his head down low, so catching him clean was a hard task. But George launched his shots right in Frazier's head zone. He didn't try to punch downwards--his arms were already there. I don't see Shavers doing that, and he'd get mauled and TKO'd before round 6.
Tuaman is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
brando18b4h
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Shavers was alo known for a glass jaw. Onw of my favorte fighter though, Puched harder then all heavy weights.
brando18b4h is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
Gyro
Journeyman

Shavers was NOT the same fighter Foreman was. Shavers probably had a more powerful ONE punch hit than Foreman but Foreman had almost the same power and could hit you with one-twos and throw in uppercut/hook combos that would put you down. Shavers was not as big as Foreman was neither, and Shavers had a suspect chin as well.

I can see Shavers maybe knocking down Frazier once or twice in an all out inside fight but Frazier would eventually tire out Shavers and KO him in the middle to late rounds. Frazier isn't going to tire out by a long shot. Frazier would feel Shaver's power BUT could take it, I doubt Shavers could take Frazier's deadly hook.

All in all Shavers is one of my favorite heavyweights and forms part of that great golden age but I see Frazier winning via TKO or KO in round 7-10
Gyro is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingmemories View Post
I think Shavers would have won it like Foreman did.....
I think Frazier handles Shavers in the same manner that Quarry did.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

'Smokin Joe' would get there first,,,,,,,,,,,

Depending on what year period we are talking about though.

Joe's balance was starting to go as early as 1972, and his punch was fading by 1974.

His heart and courage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never left him.

So it is possible that Earnie could have dropped him, but keep him there,,,,,,,,'NO'.

Lets say they fought in 1975.

Smokin Joe by TKO in 6.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Joe by TKO
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #28
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Frazier takes him out in short order. Shavers's money punch was the overhand right and I don't see him landing that consistently on a bobbing low to the ground Frazier. His uppercut might have posed a threat, might even get him a knock down, but Frazier was just such a better class of fighter that I can't see him losing this one.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #29
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Smokin" Joe still gets no respect, (The Rodney Dangerfield of boxing)...what other top 10 ATG gets paired against Shaver's and has half of the posters on ESB pick against them...anyone else and people call it a joke thread!

Frazier schools him and takes him out between 5-7!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Shavers hit hard but he didnt have Foreman`s size and overall strength.

I can see Frazier being able to put Ernie Shavers back on his heels. Taking away his leverage in the process.

Joe at his best or even near his best wins this 9 times out of 10. Maybe Shavers would catch him the other time.
ETM is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum