boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #31
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Re: Which boxer/ which fight made you take an interest in boxing?

I had a casual interest for a while, then I watched Morales-Pacquioa on HBO and it was like nothing I'd ever seen before, so I started watching more and more fights, then I started reading up on fighters, usually fighters from the past, and my interest just kept growing.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #32
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Location: "always take the arrows in the forhead, never in the back"
vCash: 525

the fight was leonard v hagler(i was 13)...then followed of course iron mike and jeff fenech,troy waters and the great chavez
stuistylee is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #33
planetzion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

probably tyson...in the eighties i was at school then and he was a living legend ....

it was Kostya Tszyu that got me hooked on boxing though ...his unification with Zab was the fight that sealed the deal for me...that was it boxing addict
planetzion is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #34
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domngo
Luisito Espinoza, the Pinoy superfeather champ, who knocked out Cornelius Boza Edwards.
he didnt beat boza edwards he beat khaokor galaxy(wba bantam) brother of the great khaosai...i always wanted jeff fenech 2 fight luisito but the 1 i wanted 2 c was jeff and antonio esparragoza(correct spell?)
Old 11-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #35
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Being a kid in NZ, we used to get all of the BIG fights in the 80's on free to air TV.

And because of the time difference, they were always on just after school. It was ****ing great.

Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Tyson. All of them used to be on the box a lot.

Hearns was my favourite. He's the one that really got me hooked.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #36
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Naz in 96
Smith is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #37
PacDbest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

First caught by Ali-Foreman-Frasier's hype but I was still young to grasp what's happenin in that time. Then Duran-SRL came into the picture, I was only 11 then, I was so excites about this coz SRL then was Olympic Gold medalist & already doing Commercials on TV vs a Macho Legend in Duran. I like duran in this fight. Then the rematch, I'm dissapointed with the ending, I don't like the SRL Clowning. Then they gave us SRL-Hearns, so excited to see SRL to be KO by Hearns, Then SRL turns the tide & I started to respect SRL.

Navarette winning against Boza also draws my interest to Featherweights. So I follow & watched some Arguello, mancini, Boza, Sanchez, & Limon, watch them all until Navarette starts losing. Also that time I saw Ali starting to deteriorate with loses to Boring Holmes. SRL retires temporarily. Then the WWF wrestling was introduced in 1982 in the Philippines, so my interest was drawn to this new & more exciting form of fighting(I thought it was real the 1st time).

Then came along Mike Tyson, He's the only one I follow during this time. I don't follow much The older Hearns & Duran. I got interested with SRL comeback, but the action is kinda letdown compare to the Hearns fight. Then tyson was convicted, nobody to follow for me anymore.

From 1988-1990s-Early 2000s, I was consumed with Phil Basketball then to NBA when I immigrated in the US in 1991. Followed Tyson's comeback, watched the Holy-bowe & Golota matchups. Watched DLH, Trinidad, Chavez only on free TV(only when I was invited for PPV Party).

Then came along Pacquiao's Breakthru upset of MAB. I saw the report from ESPN, I say "Who is this Filipino who beat this Mexican Legend?". The answer came when my cousin brought a VHS tape of the Pac-MAB fight recorded from the Philippines. The date December 25, 2003, My Bday, That was a Jaw dropping performance. After the Party, I googled Pacquiao's name, Found Pacland, Boxrec, MAB forum, ESB, Fightnews, etc. For weeks I was in desperate search for Pac's old fights. Found a Pac's 3 DVD collections for $30, I got it in 4 days. Daym!!! How could i miss this guy?? He is Awesome, all fights are entertaining. From then on I research all boxing to see how this guy compare to others, record wise & action wise. After my research, I made my conclusion that we maybe watching the greatest & the most exciting P4P fighter in history. Then PacDbest was born.......
PacDbest is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #38
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman
Being a kid in NZ, we used to get all of the BIG fights in the 80's on free to air TV.

And because of the time difference, they were always on just after school. It was ****ing great.

Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Tyson. All of them used to be on the box a lot.

Hearns was my favourite. He's the one that really got me hooked.
did they really...i didnt live in aus b4 86 so i dont know but late 80's we got jeff fenech and some heavyweight fights...the last i saw was roy jones v bernard hopkins on the undercard of rid**** bowe and jesse ferguson...it was really hard keeping up with the action in the states...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #39
knockout
Make my day
ESB Addict

It was Mike Tyson back in the day,then i stopped watching for a while then it was Pacquiao who made me start watching again.
knockout is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #40
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDbest
First caught by Ali-Foreman-Frasier's hype but I was still young to grasp what's happenin in that time. Then Duran-SRL came into the picture, I was only 11 then, I was so excites about this coz SRL then was Olympic Gold medalist & already doing Commercials on TV vs a Macho Legend in Duran. I like duran in this fight. Then the rematch, I'm dissapointed with the ending, I don't like the SRL Clowning. Then they gave us SRL-Hearns, so excited to see SRL to be KO by Hearns, Then SRL turns the tide & I started to respect SRL.

Navarette winning against Boza also draws my interest to Featherweights. So I follow & watched some Arguello, mancini, Boza, Sanchez, & Limon, watch them all until Navarette starts losing. Also that time I saw Ali starting to deteriorate with loses to Boring Holmes. SRL retires temporarily. Then the WWF wrestling was introduced in 1982 in the Philippines, so my interest was drawn to this new & more exciting form of fighting(I thought it was real the 1st time).

Then came along Mike Tyson, He's the only one I follow during this time. I don't follow much The older Hearns & Duran. I got interested with SRL comeback, but the action is kinda letdown compare to the Hearns fight. Then tyson was convicted, nobody to follow for me anymore.

From 1988-1990s-Early 2000s, I was consumed with Phil Basketball then to NBA when I immigrated in the US in 1991. Followed Tyson's comeback, watched the Holy-bowe & Golota matchups. Watched DLH, Trinidad, Chavez only on free TV(only when I was invited for PPV Party).

Then came along Pacquiao's Breakthru upset of MAB. I saw the report from ESPN, I say "Who is this Filipino who beat this Mexican Legend?". The answer came when my cousin brought a VHS tape of the Pac-MAB fight recorded from the Philippines. The date December 25, 2003, My Bday, That was a Jaw dropping performance. After the Party, I googled Pacquiao's name, Found Pacland, Boxrec, MAB forum, ESB, Fightnews, etc. For weeks I was in desperate search for Pac's old fights. Found a Pac's 3 DVD collections for $30, I got it in 4 days. Daym!!! How could i miss this guy?? He is Awesome, all fights are entertaining. From then on I research all boxing to see how this guy compare to others, record wise & action wise. After my research, I made my conclusion that we maybe watching the greatest & the most exciting P4P fighter in history. Then PacDbest was born.......
listen man i understand where ur coming from with ur patriotism but pac will not b the greatest p4p eva...that belongs 2 sugar ray robinson...then theres allot of others...pac is a fantastic fighter lets wait and c what happens and then we can sit back and start arguing...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #41
gambleer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Firstly when I saw Acelino Freitas put Anatoly Alexandrov to sleep for 5 minutes in the first round for the WBO superfeatherweight title. The man had almost total media suport here in Brazil.
It was the hero story of a miserable guy who had to fight to take his family out of poverty. He became a national hero. Until his loss to Corrales, in Brazil it was:
Pelé, Ayrton Senna and Popó (Acelino Freitas)
More than 15 million watched Popó alive beating Casamayor, and the fight was at 3 A.M.
After Corrales knocked him out, Freitas lost most of media suport. Even when he got a title shot at Raheem, Globo (the main TV brazilian channel) didn't trasmit his fight.
But RedeTV(a small TV channel) showed it alive and achieved the 1st place in audience for the first time in history. And Freitas-Raheem was one of the most boring fight in history
gambleer is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #42
PacDbest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuistylee
listen man i understand where ur coming from with ur patriotism but pac will not b the greatest p4p eva...that belongs 2 sugar ray robinson...then theres allot of others...pac is a fantastic fighter lets wait and c what happens and then we can sit back and start arguing...
I said MAYBe. The way Pac fights & the way he was matched to these Great fighters in the Era, makes Pac a candidate for these Greatness. What if he actually beat DLH, Hatton & Mayweather??? It sounds impossible but Pac-DLH matchup was just a Fantasy just months ago. Now HBO, Toprank, GBP are talking about it. There's a Reason why we're wasting time arguing about this..Because this is a Fantasy fight that could actually happen in the near future.
PacDbest is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #43
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDbest
I said MAYBe. The way Pac fights & the way he was matched to these Great fighters in the Era, makes Pac a candidate for these Greatness. What if he actually beat DLH, Hatton & Mayweather??? It sounds impossible but Pac-DLH matchup was just a Fantasy just months ago. Now HBO, Toprank, GBP are talking about it. There's a Reason why we're wasting time arguing about this..Because this is a Fantasy fight that could actually happen in the near future.
i just dont reckon itll happen...i dont think pac is dumb...but i like pacman and would love 2 c him fight against marquez and mayb valero...as a fan i would think u would like 2 c pac clean the division hes in at the moment and that would do massive things 4 his legacy in my opinion
Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #44
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

The Tyson vs Holifield fights.
jaycuban is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #45
PacDbest
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuistylee
i just dont reckon itll happen...i dont think pac is dumb...but i like pacman and would love 2 c him fight against marquez and mayb valero...as a fan i would think u would like 2 c pac clean the division hes in at the moment and that would do massive things 4 his legacy in my opinion
Pac already KOed 2 legends who dominated before him. Beating JMM & the rest of 130 & 135 won't help his legacy much. In front of him right now there's Hatton, PBF & DLH as the one that could elevate his ATG status to be with the company of SRR & Armstrong.
PacDbest is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum