Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #46
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 762
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Diaz is a great brawler GSP is a great technical striker! And when a brawler and a technical striker fight technique wins 9 times out of 10!
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #47
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Daly was a sitting duck. He fought Diaz stupid. Do you really think GSP will let Diaz that close to him??? Do you think GSP will stand there with his back up against the cage? I don't. I think GSP will keep distance with his foot work and jab. Like he always does.

Guarantee gsp, if he ever does fight diaz, shoots in for a takedown early in round 1 if diaz gets back to his feet I bet gsp shoots in again and again and again. This of course is because he is the superior striker

This is what he has done to every fighter except koschek he has fought in the last couple years why would he strike with diaz?

Also how else could daley fight diaz? Daley is a brawler after all, he really doesnt have other options.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #48
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERBOY View Post
Diaz is a great brawler GSP is a great technical striker! And when a brawler and a technical striker fight technique wins 9 times out of 10!

Diaz is a pressure fighter. pressure fighter can beat technical outside fighters if they can overwhelm them and get in close which I think Diaz can if he did not have to deal with takedowns.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #49
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
Guarantee gsp, if he ever does fight diaz, shoots in for a takedown early in round 1 if diaz gets back to his feet I bet gsp shoots in again and again and again. This of course is because he is the superior striker

This is what he has done to every fighter except koschek he has fought in the last couple years why would he strike with diaz?
No but look at it this way.

Say GSP is an "8" in striking and Diaz is a "7", hell call them both "8"s.

But GSP is a "10" in wrestling and Diaz is a "5". Why the hell wouldn't GSP take him down???


If the New England Patriots are playing a team with shitty pass defense, they will pass the hell out of the ball....but that DOESN'T mean they also couldn't run on the team as well.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #50
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 762
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
No but look at it this way.

Say GSP is an "8" in striking and Diaz is a "7", hell call them both "8"s.

But GSP is a "10" in wrestling and Diaz is a "5". Why the hell wouldn't GSP take him down???


If the New England Patriots are playing a team with shitty pass defense, they will pass the hell out of the ball....but that DOESN'T mean they also couldn't run on the team as well.
Well said!
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #51
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
Diaz is a pressure fighter. pressure fighter can beat technical outside fighters if they can overwhelm them and get in close which I think Diaz can if he did not have to deal with takedowns.
How? How will he get through GSPs jab? In all seriousness, I'm curious because I actually like Diaz as a fighter.

He has NO head movement though, he isn't light on his feet and doesn't attack from angles, has no upper body movement. His head is right there on a damn spicket to be hit all night by GSP's jab. He stands way too tall, his legs, body are exposed to GSP's kicks. Really dude, how will he neutralize GSP's footwork and jab?

And don't say by "walking him down" because that rarely works in boxing, in MMA it is ****ing suicide with those small gloves And you need head movement to do it even in boxing.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #52
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
No but look at it this way.

Say GSP is an "8" in striking and Diaz is a "7", hell call them both "8"s.

But GSP is a "10" in wrestling and Diaz is a "5". Why the hell wouldn't GSP take him down???


If the New England Patriots are playing a team with shitty pass defense, they will pass the hell out of the ball....but that DOESN'T mean they also couldn't run on the team as well.

thats the problem with you gsp fans, you say gsp is this great striker but he really hasnt proven it. he basically has outstruck grapplers and even then took them down most of the time. with strikers as soon as they get aggressive and come forward he goes for the takedown.

Also I dont get how you say gsp has great footwork, he hasnt shown this at all, he moves alot yes but is that great footwork?

To me if gsp had great footwork he would use it to keep his oponents off balence and set up counters or use it to set up offense anderson silva has shown this by turning his opponents to open up their defense.

Gsp uses alot of movement. he moves away to set up traps for his advancing opponent usually for takedowns, but I believe thats how he set up the righthand that knocked down alves in their match. very basic stuff. also gsps defence consists mosly of moving out of striking range of his opponents.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #53
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
thats the problem with you gsp fans, you say gsp is this great striker but he really hasnt proven it. he basically has outstruck grapplers and even then took them down most of the time. with strikers as soon as they get aggressive and come forward he goes for the takedown.

Also I dont get how you say gsp has great footwork, he hasnt shown this at all, he moves alot yes but is that great footwork?

To me if gsp had great footwork he would use it to keep his oponents off balence and set up counters or use it to set up offense anderson silva has shown this by turning his opponents to open up their defense.

Gsp uses alot of movement. he moves away to set up traps for his advancing opponent usually for takedowns, but I believe thats how he set up the righthand that knocked down alves in their match. very basic stuff. also gsps defence consists mosly of moving out of striking range of his opponents.
Discussing this with you is extremely frustrating because at first you say GSP does NOT have great footwork, but then you state that he is able to move away and set up traps and right hands, hitting and then moving out of striking range before the counter comes.

Which one is it? Does he have good footwork or not? The answer is, as you stated in your last paragraph, he DOES!

How is he able to dictate the pace of every single fight if he has bad footwork and bad striking? Answer that one

And one more thing, do you think Thiago Alves is a great striker? Did you see their fight? You obviously did, because you just said GSP set a trap for him and then dropped him with a right hand.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #54
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
How? How will he get through GSPs jab? In all seriousness, I'm curious because I actually like Diaz as a fighter.

He has NO head movement though, he isn't light on his feet and doesn't attack from angles, has no upper body movement. His head is right there on a damn spicket to be hit all night by GSP's jab. He stands way too tall, his legs, body are exposed to GSP's kicks. Really dude, how will he neutralize GSP's footwork and jab?

And don't say by "walking him down" because that rarely works in boxing, in MMA it is ****ing suicide with those small gloves And you need head movement to do it even in boxing.


Fedor walked his opponents down all the time, he did it to cro-cop for ****s sake. sonenen did it too, when he battled anderson silva, actually walking oponents down works better in mma than boxing because when you get inside you can clinch than go in for knees and elbows and takedowns, when you get in the clinch and the ref wont stop and reset your position, and you have to get back inside again.


theirs no real power on Gsp's punches (and dont start with koschecks broken cheekbone shit) why couldnt diaz walk him down? he was able to do it to much harder punchers than gsp. realisticly, diaz would have to come through gsp's jab and then overwhelm gsp with punchesdiaz would get hit but gsp would have to retreat because he would lack the fire power to trade with diaz. if they were in k-1 there would be a boxing ring instead of a huge cage and diaz would be able to push gsp back to the ropes or corner him where he would land heavily with bodyshots and uppercuts.

Diaz does use head movement, certainly more than gsp, watch the second kj noons fight after the second round noons couldnt hit him with those uppercuts (of couse kj was throwing them from the outside and became predictable) diaz didnt have to run away he just moved his head and countered. I am certainly not saying diaz has good defense he clearly doesnt, but he does use it at times. But any pressure fighter is going to get hit more than an outside fighter.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #55
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
Discussing this with you is extremely frustrating because at first you say GSP does NOT have great footwork, but then you state that he is able to move away and set up traps and right hands, hitting and then moving out of striking range before the counter comes.

Which one is it? Does he have good footwork or not? The answer is, as you stated in your last paragraph, he DOES!
Ok moving out of range is not good footwork he simple has good agility/ good movement its very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
How is he able to dictate the pace of every single fight if he has bad footwork and bad striking? Answer that one
I never said he was a bad striker, and I already stated in an earlier post how he controls the pace with mixing up takedowns with striking better than anyone else in mma, actually no one else comes close except maybe dominic cruz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
And one more thing, do you think Thiago Alves is a great striker? Did you see their fight? You obviously did, because you just said GSP set a trap for him and then dropped him with a right hand.
alves is a good striker among the best at welter but if I remember correctly gsp shot in very early for a takedown, and alves stopped it. I think gsp does this in most of his fights and it is a tactic to make his opponents mind divided between worring about takedowns and defending punches. Gsp dominace is very much based on his mental game and his athletic ability.

gsp is a very good striker but thats the only thing significant I remember gsp landing. after that alves threw the lowkicks and gsp immedietly took him down, lowkicks are alves's bread and butter and he was limited without them.

lets see gsp beat alves without takedowns, that would help prove that gsp is one if not the best strikers in the welterweight division.

what if anderson silva took down vitor belfort instead of striking with him, would people then say that anderson was not a good enough striker to fight vitor standing?

I know it would be out of character for anderson, and not for gsp. but still, avoiding striking is avoiding striking.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #56
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
Fedor walked his opponents down all the time, he did it to cro-cop for ****s sake. sonenen did it too, when he battled anderson silva, actually walking oponents down works better in mma than boxing because when you get inside you can clinch than go in for knees and elbows and takedowns, when you get in the clinch and the ref wont stop and reset your position, and you have to get back inside again.


theirs no real power on Gsp's punches (and dont start with koschecks broken cheekbone shit) why couldnt diaz walk him down? he was able to do it to much harder punchers than gsp. realisticly, diaz would have to come through gsp's jab and then overwhelm gsp with punchesdiaz would get hit but gsp would have to retreat because he would lack the fire power to trade with diaz. if they were in k-1 there would be a boxing ring instead of a huge cage and diaz would be able to push gsp back to the ropes or corner him where he would land heavily with bodyshots and uppercuts.

Diaz does use head movement, certainly more than gsp, watch the second kj noons fight after the second round noons couldnt hit him with those uppercuts (of couse kj was throwing them from the outside and became predictable) diaz didnt have to run away he just moved his head and countered. I am certainly not saying diaz has good defense he clearly doesnt, but he does use it at times. But any pressure fighter is going to get hit more than an outside fighter.
Ok so now you want Nick "spaghetti arms" Diaz to clinch with GSP (The strongest WW on the planet)??

Dude stop! Diaz has to be set to get power on his punches, something GSP will not allow him to do! GSP doesn't have power on his shots? He has dropped both Fitch and Alves with right hands He just doesn't use his striking to KO guys, he fights very safe and smart If his striking had no power, guys like Fitch, Alves, Kos and Hardy (Who he also outstruck on the feet) would simply walk up to him, brush off his weak ass punches and return fire. But they don't, they can't get anywhere near close enough to even hit the guy.

The fact that you are dismissing a mans striking who has probably outstruck his opponents like 90-10 on the feet with clean shots over the past few years is absolutley ludacris!

You really think Daley is that much of a better striker than Hardy, Alves and Penn? Because those 3 didn't do shit against GSP when they had the chance to on their feet. But Daley damn near knocked Diaz the **** out last saturday
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #57
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

This sounds like every other debate about GSP in his fights since the Serra loss. Someone mounts a argument about how this new opponent for GSP is somehow different than the rest, and he is finally the one who has the skill set to make it a tough fight for George.

And then the fight happens and GSP dominates.

You can never say with 100% certainty a fighter has no chance, as strange shit can happen - which GSP can attest to after his first fight with Serra.

But I just don't see Diaz posing much of a problem for a much more well rounded, physically superior GSP.
Boinko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #58
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko View Post
This sounds like every other debate about GSP in his fights since the Serra loss. Someone mounts a argument about how this new opponent for GSP is somehow different than the rest, and he is finally the one who has the skill set to make it a tough fight for George.

And then the fight happens and GSP dominates.

You can never say with 100% certainty a fighter has no chance, as strange shit can happen - which GSP can attest to after his first fight with Serra.

But I just don't see Diaz posing much of a problem for a much more well rounded, physically superior GSP.
belfort was suppose to KTFO silva at UFC 126 guess thing didnt go that way

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #59
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
belfort was suppose to KTFO silva at UFC 126 guess thing didnt go that way

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I think the predictions about Belfort/Silva were very much split. Are you saying that Silva winning was an upset?

And keep in mind, I also stated in my post that of course there is never 100% certainty of a particular outcome.

But I think your analogy is poor (BTW, I picked Silva over Belfort by KO)
Boinko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #60
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Diaz Vs GSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko View Post
I think the predictions about Belfort/Silva were very much split. Are you saying that Silva winning was an upset?

And keep in mind, I also stated in my post that of course there is never 100% certainty of a particular outcome.

But I think your analogy is poor (BTW, I picked Silva over Belfort by KO)
didnt you watch the pre talks? belfort said he would win and joe rogan said that belfort was going to be silvas greatest challange
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013