boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Fedor vs Henderson (non title fight) @HW or a CW is the target for SF late summer

Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan Henderson and famed heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) could meet at a late-summer event, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed on Saturday.

However, neither the bout nor the event details have been finalized.

With the organization moving closer to the non-title fight, a sticking point seems to be at what weight the fight will be contested. According to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Emelianenko prefers a catchweight of 215-220 pounds, though Henderson's camp wants the fight take place in the heavyweight division (meaning 265 pounds would be the maximum weight).

Emelianenko, who spurned a UFC offer to fight for Strikeforce, and Henderson, who left the UFC on a three-fight win streak in 2009, now find themselves fighting for an organization recently acquired by the UFC's parent company. However, Coker told MMAjunkie.com that, as with past Emelianenko fights, the July event would be a co-promotion with M-1 Global, with which the UFC has a rocky relationship.

The July event also could mark Strikeforce's pay-per-view debut.

"We're going to have him fight in July, and we will honor the co-promotion aspect with M-1," Coker said in March. "Nothing changes for them on that front, and it's business as usual."

Emelianenko most recently suffered an upset loss to Antonio Silva in the opening round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. Coupled with a loss to Fabricio Werdum this past June, which snapped a 27-fight win streak, Emelianenko briefly considered retirement before the Henderson discussions began.

Henderson recently scored a third-round TKO of Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante to win the Strikeforce belt. The 40-year-old Olympian, a former two-division champ in PRIDE, now has won five of his past six fights.

"Obviously, he's still one of the top guys out there in the world, and it would be a huge challenge," said Henderson, who's fought in the middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions. "It would interest me to go up (in weight)."
thewinfella is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fedor vs Henderson (non title fight) @HW or a CW is the target for SF late summer

Should be a great fight. Battle of the epic right hands
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
zarman

vCash:
Default Re: Fedor vs Henderson (non title fight) @HW or a CW is the target for SF late summer

Cant wait
Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Great idea. Two Pride ATGs squaring off... and a rare chance for Fedor to be the bigger man in the cage!
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I wish I could find the thread where this fight was proposed a couple years ago. I wonder if we'll be seeing any "Fedor by anything wants" and "Fedor by ****" predictions leading up to this one.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I wish I could find the thread where this fight was proposed a couple years ago. I wonder if we'll be seeing any "Fedor by anything wants" and "Fedor by ****" predictions leading up to this one.
I remember one right after Hendo KOed Wanderlei and he said he wanted this. I told everyone never count out Dan Henderson. I wouldnt be shocked if he KOed Fedor.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

I would love to see this fight. Go for it and make it happen.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Fedor is going to destroy Henderson if this happens.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
I remember one right after Hendo KOed Wanderlei and he said he wanted this. I told everyone never count out Dan Henderson. I wouldnt be shocked if he KOed Fedor.
Sadly, this was my first thought. I didn't think "**** yeah, I get to see Fedor smash someone", I thought "****, I hope he doesn't get knocked out". There's no reason to suspect he would, but Henderson is very ****ing dangerous and I hope Fedor gets his head in the game for this one.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

You gotta love Dan Henderson. The man will fight anyone.... and has just about fought everyone.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Sloth
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Two classy hall of famers. This could be interesting.
Sloth is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
You gotta love Dan Henderson. The man will fight anyone.... and has just about fought everyone.
Yup Big Nog, Lil Nog, Wanderlei, Arona, Renzo, Babalu, Feijao, Anderson, Rampage, Bustamante, Bisping, Palhares, Franklin, Belfort, Shields there really isnt too many guys left to fight.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

SF are literally just trying to live off of his name. There seems to be no real interest in helping Fedor rebuild.

I think Fedor should be fighting the alternates like Rosario. A level down but the sort of guys he can rebuild against.

I think SF think he is done and are hoping for one of their fighters to get another win.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
SF are literally just trying to live off of his name. There seems to be no real interest in helping Fedor rebuild.

I think Fedor should be fighting the alternates like Rosario. A level down but the sort of guys he can rebuild against.

I think SF think he is done and are hoping for one of their fighters to get another win.
If Fedor takes a beating from Henderson , a) ill be ****in amazed and b) he should retire

Fedor vs Henderson is a rebuilding fight for Fedor
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
caleb_forrest_g
Contender
ESB Senior Member

fedor rear naked choke
caleb_forrest_g is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum