Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default sven ottke

if ottke had been fighting today how would he of done in the super-six

personally i think he would of lost to keesler,abraham,ward,taylor,froch and johnson.

saying that i dont think he would of had the nuts to enter it in the first place
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171
Default Re: sven ottke

He would have controversally SDed Ward, Kessler, Dirrell and Froch in Germany after being dominated. Like he always did.

Jokes aside, he probably would beat Green, Abraham and Johnson (...), though.
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Casual133
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1161

Ottke was that bad. He has a shot at Abraham that's about it.
Casual133 is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
if ottke had been fighting today how would he of done in the super-six

personally i think he would of lost to keesler,abraham,ward,taylor,froch and johnson.

saying that i dont think he would of had the nuts to enter it in the first place
So, he beat a prime Johnson but would lose to a past prime one. Sounds like logic to me.

Search for him in this section, there is a huge thread on him somewhere. There also was recently one on him in classic.

Heīd beat this version of Kessler, Abraham, Taylor, Johnson, Froch. Ward would be interesting, I donīt think Ottke could have dealt with his style. Dirrell is stylewise similar to Ottke but faster. Ottke is more experienced and trickier.

Yeah, Ottke wouldnīt have the nuts. Right. Thatīs why he unified and beat a long list of contenders while Calzaghe sat on his WBO belt and beat his leftovers.

I donīt like Ottke, he has a boring style, was and still is an a**hole but the amount of hate and "unknowledge" people have about him is disgusting.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
So, he beat a prime Johnson but would lose to a past prime one. Sounds like logic to me.
Did you watch the fight or are you just talking out of your ass? Johnson thoroughly outboxed Ottke and ended up on the wrong end of a ridiculous decision.

I'm not saying he was a bum but having him over Froch and Kessler is just beyond me.
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
Did you watch the fight or are you just talking out of your ass? Johnson thoroughly outboxed Ottke and ended up on the wrong end of a ridiculous decision.

I'm not saying he was a bum but having him over Froch and Kessler is just beyond me.

Did you see that fight? Doesnīt seem so. Look up the thread about Ottke in classic recently. All of them but one saw it clearly for Ottke, too. 8 rounds to 4 and the only reason Johnson won those because Ottke pulled of his usual "I have the fight in the bag and now I just stay out of harms way" routine.

Probably, because I know what Iīm talking about and you donīt.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Search for him in this section, there is a huge thread on him somewhere. There also was recently one on him in classic.

Heīd beat this version of Kessler, Abraham, Taylor, Johnson, Froch. Ward would be interesting, I donīt think Ottke could have dealt with his style. Dirrell is stylewise similar to Ottke but faster. Ottke is more experienced and trickier.

Yeah, Ottke wouldn't have the nuts. Right. Thatīs why he unified and beat a long list of contenders while Calzaghe sat on his WBO belt and beat his leftovers.

I donīt like Ottke, he has a boring style, was and still is an a**hole but the amount of hate and "knowledge" people have about him is disgusting.
dear bodhi
the johnson thing i was not to sure on as have not seen the fight and so was not sure how fair the decision was (can you blame anyone for thinking it could well of been another shit decision)

ottke did not exactly beat stella opposition and are you suggesting that he had a better tittle reign than calzaghe , they both had some pretty weak competition but calzaghe would of beat ottke although i dont think you would doubt that .could you blame calzaghe or any other tittle holder for not wanting to go to germany to fight ottke.

hate is a strong word but i do think he new the fix was in on at least the reid fight so there is an amount of disdain towards him on my part when considering his career .

so i think how he would do in h2h match-ups away from home is very questionable

kind regards

the unknowledgeable
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Probably, because I know what Iīm talking about and you donīt.
you must be pleased cause that dont happen very often
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
taobum70
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

There is this myth about Ottke that ever win against a good opponent was a robbery. The Reid fight was terrible, yes, but no more terrible than the "draw" in Lewis - Holyfield.

Ottke was boring but he was fast and had a difficult style to deal with. He would be competitive in the super six, he clearly beat Johnson (I was rooting for Johnson to win that fight,, I liked him a lot better than Ottke) and some other good fighters.
taobum70 is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
dear bodhi
the johnson thing i was not to sure on as have not seen the fight and so was not sure how fair the decision was (can you blame anyone for thinking it could well of been another shit decision)
Look up the Ottke thread of recent times in classic, I wrote abit about Ottkeīs decisions. And almost everyone actually agreed. Anyway, I can blame people for judging fights they didnīt see and just assume stuff about, yeah.

Quote:
ottke did not exactly beat stella opposition and are you suggesting that he had a better tittle reign than calzaghe , they both had some pretty weak competition but calzaghe would of beat ottke although i dont think you would doubt that .could you blame calzaghe or any other tittle holder for not wanting to go to germany to fight ottke.
No, Ottke did not beat stellar opposition. Not by far. But about everyone he fought from his 11th or 12th fight on was in the ring Top10. He unified. And while active was the rings number one in the division and not Joe C. Yeah, Calzaghe would beat Ottke, even so I think he would have his hands full. Despite all of his flaws Ottke was an excellent spoiler with very good footwork, judge of distance, timing precision and a good ring general. Wonīt be enough though.
Why? Most of his robberies actually were not robberies. Many not even close fights - like the Johnson fight. Joe C. had some dubious stuff going on himself - early stoppages, the fight with Brewer.

Quote:
hate is a strong word but i do think he new the fix was in on at least the reid fight so there is an amount of disdain towards him on my part when considering his career .
Not a fix but he knew his manager had the ref in the bag, yeah. And yeah, I dislike him too but at least I try to be objective and not to by in any myths but go and see for myself - or well, I saw his career unfold.

Quote:
so i think how he would do in h2h match-ups away from home is very questionable

kind regards

the unknowledgeable
He would de much better than people realise. Most fights of his werenīt close actually. Ottke just stopped doing anything but running once he knew he had the fight in the bag - after 7-8 rounds. In quite a few fights he would have won 12-0 in rounds if he wouldnīt have done that, including some questionable ones. But this was his mindset. In an interview he once said "I donīt fight for the fans or entertainment. I fight to win and stay healthy, I donīt want to end up like Ali." This was hi mindset. But look who he beat in the amateurs: Moorer, Byrd, Gomez, Ibragimov, Tarver, Erdei, Michaelchweski. That guy wasnīt that bad.

btw. with "unknowledgable" I meant people commenting about his career and fights without having seen the fights and question and going by what they heard from other people, who probably havenīt seen those fights themselves.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
One Round
Hertfordshire's Finest
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
How do you figure that? Johnson's biggest wins all came after the Ottke fight and at a different weight class. The Ottke version of Johnson isn't prime.

Quote:
Maybe if he had them in his backyard with the ref and judges on the payroll as usual. You have to travel in the Super 6 unless you're Ward, where Ottke's totally unproven. Be real, Kessler, Dirrell, Ward and Froch would all be too much for him.

Quote:
Yeah, Ottke wouldnīt have the nuts. Right. Thatīs why he unified and beat a long list of contenders while Calzaghe sat on his WBO belt and beat his leftovers.
Ye because Ottke's devastating power ruined many a fighter. At least Calzaghe wasn't scared to leave his backyard, or have to cheat to beat Reid. Calzaghe's wins over Hopkins and prime Kessler are better than any of Ottke's home cooked victories against B level boxers.
One Round is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Round View Post
How do you figure that? Johnson's biggest wins all came after the Ottke fight and at a different weight class. The Ottke version of Johnson isn't prime.
Well, he was 30 years old and never big at lhw, probably a smw but yeah his best wins came a bit later.

Quote:
Maybe if he had them in his backyard with the ref and judges on the payroll as usual. You have to travel in the Super 6 unless you're Ward, where Ottke's totally unproven. Be real, Kessler, Dirrell, Ward and Froch would all be too much for him.
Thatīs just the usual blabla without any sense in it.

Quote:
Ye because Ottke's devastating power ruined many a fighter. At least Calzaghe wasn't scared to leave his backyard, or have to cheat to beat Reid. Calzaghe's wins over Hopkins and prime Kessler are better than any of Ottke's home cooked victories against B level boxers.
Did Harry Greb had the power to ruin fighters or Willie Pep? I did not say Ottke should rank better than Calzaghe. I just said that when both were active in the division, most of the time Ottke was seen as the number one and that he was the one unifying and that Calzagheīs opponents at the time were already beaten by Ottke before or worse than his. Calzaghe stepped up pretty late, sadly, but when he did he proved he was better than Ottke.
This was not an attack on your favourite fighter, mate, just stating some facts. If you donīt like them. Well, thatīs not my problem.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
Serenata
Fit und geimpft
ESB Addict

vCash: 1678

I have to agree with my buddy bodhi.

Not because I am from germany, but because I have watched ALL Ottke fights. Biased the first time when the fights actually happened but as far as I can judge myself unbiased on tape years later.

Ottke had 2-3 odd decisions and one more or less robbery with reid.
Serenata is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

brewer twice by split decision ,mitchell also a split decision, a pre -prime Glenn johnson and a fixed fight against reid are hardly the stuff legends are made of the rest of his opposition are mediocre to be honnest. serenta i think you are biased but not intentionally
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
brewer twice by split decision ,mitchell also a split decision, a pre -prime Glenn johnson and a fixed fight against reid are hardly the stuff legends are made of the rest of his opposition are mediocre to be honnest. serenta i think you are biased but not intentionally
Brewer the second time shouldnīt be a split decision, neither should be Mitchell. Add Larsen and Branco who were quite good fighters. He fought everyone the division had to offer but Calzaghe and his stablemate Beyer. He unified, defended the IB title 20+ times. How many fighters can say something like that from them? Yeah, he is no atg but he isnīt mediocre either.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum