Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default So happy to see the elbows...

...how about you guys?

Melendez looked incredible before letting those elbows fly.

Does anyone have a gif of the finish?
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

yea gilbert was pretty mean i really wanna see him vs frankie edgar that would be mean since UFC bought out SF they should make a pound for pound title and let the champs in each org fight each other would pay soo much to see 1) overeem vs velasquez 2) gsp vs nick and gilbert vs frankie ae
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Yeah but for that to happen Pettis still waiting for is title shot !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 1065
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

I think Gilbert beats all of the UFC lightweights. He's the only SF champ who I think will dominate in the UFC.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

why?

I hate elbows on the ground. Im not happy at all, its one of the things I liked about strikeforce that is now gone for good.

I am sad.

seriously, Melendez didnt need elbows to win this fight.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
why?

I hate elbows on the ground. Im not happy at all, its one of the things I liked about strikeforce that is now gone for good.

I am sad.

seriously, Melendez didnt need elbows to win this fight.
I think that taking away elbows on the ground is just dumb. You already can't knee or headbutt on the ground, take away the elbows and your ground and pound is so limited that it really takes too much away from the top game. All the opponent on bottom would have to worry about strikewise is punches, and that doesn't make any sense to me. Especially since it is a hell of a lot easier to hold your opponent down as you batter them with elbows than it is to create a bunch of space and throw punches. They still throw punches anyways... it's just that the guy on bottom has to at least be aware that it can also be an elbow and isn't so easily prepared to defend a punch.... or know that he is going to have the space to get up easily when the fighter creates the space to throw the punch.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 1065
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
I think that taking away elbows on the ground is just dumb. You already can't knee or headbutt on the ground, take away the elbows and your ground and pound is so limited that it really takes too much away from the top game. All the opponent on bottom would have to worry about strikewise is punches, and that doesn't make any sense to me. Especially since it is a hell of a lot easier to hold your opponent down as you batter them with elbows than it is to create a bunch of space and throw punches. They still throw punches anyways... it's just that the guy on bottom has to at least be aware that it can also be an elbow and isn't so easily prepared to defend a punch.... or know that he is going to have the space to get up easily when the fighter creates the space to throw the punch.
People moan about wrestlers who do nothing when they get on top (which is fair enough, lay and pray is awful to watch and is scored far too highly) but then moan when strikes that mean more offence are introduced.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Wige247
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 540
vCash: 1014
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
I think that taking away elbows on the ground is just dumb. You already can't knee or headbutt on the ground, take away the elbows and your ground and pound is so limited that it really takes too much away from the top game. All the opponent on bottom would have to worry about strikewise is punches, and that doesn't make any sense to me. Especially since it is a hell of a lot easier to hold your opponent down as you batter them with elbows than it is to create a bunch of space and throw punches. They still throw punches anyways... it's just that the guy on bottom has to at least be aware that it can also be an elbow and isn't so easily prepared to defend a punch.... or know that he is going to have the space to get up easily when the fighter creates the space to throw the punch.
I always thought that elbows were just a cheap way to try to end a fight on cuts, but between Jones, Louiseau back in the day, and now Melendez, I'm excited to see more fighters try to utilize them to end fights.
Wige247 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
I think that taking away elbows on the ground is just dumb. You already can't knee or headbutt on the ground, take away the elbows and your ground and pound is so limited that it really takes too much away from the top game. All the opponent on bottom would have to worry about strikewise is punches, and that doesn't make any sense to me. Especially since it is a hell of a lot easier to hold your opponent down as you batter them with elbows than it is to create a bunch of space and throw punches. They still throw punches anyways... it's just that the guy on bottom has to at least be aware that it can also be an elbow and isn't so easily prepared to defend a punch.... or know that he is going to have the space to get up easily when the fighter creates the space to throw the punch.

well strikeforce didnt have elbows up until now and they seemed to do just fine.

Basically what you said in defence of allowing elbows is exactly why I dont like them. it increases the dominance of top position(which by the way is already scored by the judges far to highly) by making it easier to control your opponent and still do damage the fighter in top position gets to stay in close to prevent the other fighter from getting the space they need to pull off submissions and elbows increase the chances of cuts.

I guess different people want to see different things, but you already had the ufc now you get strikeforce too. Why must you get ALL MMA!!!

...well not really all of MMA
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
james4210
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 461
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQAss1a_gPc&feature=player_embedded]"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQAss1a_gPc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]


Everyone should watch this.
james4210 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4210 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Everyone should watch this.
He said exactly what I said... only he is against it because it goes against his strengths. Pretty obvious. If you don't have elbows, you have to allow knees on the ground. You can't take away both... it just doesn't make sense.

It's silly to say that the more technical fighters will shine through if they stop allowing elbows on the ground. That is a completely senseless comment by Diaz. Especially when in other videos he complains about there being too many rules, causing it to be more of a sport than a fight. Clearly he only wants the rules that benefit his style. It isn't like the man is just a super intelligent saint who is giving his unbiased opinion.

I like Diaz, but anyone can see that he just wants rules that fit his style the best. As would everybody.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
zarman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

How funny would it be if all the SF champions won a unification tournament with the UFC
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Wich unification will come first ? SF or WEC ?:P
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
james4210
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 461
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
He said exactly what I said... only he is against it because it goes against his strengths. Pretty obvious. If you don't have elbows, you have to allow knees on the ground. You can't take away both... it just doesn't make sense.

It's silly to say that the more technical fighters will shine through if they stop allowing elbows on the ground. That is a completely senseless comment by Diaz. Especially when in other videos he complains about there being too many rules, causing it to be more of a sport than a fight. Clearly he only wants the rules that benefit his style. It isn't like the man is just a super intelligent saint who is giving his unbiased opinion.

I like Diaz, but anyone can see that he just wants rules that fit his style the best. As would everybody.
What style of fighting do you like best?

Incidentally I understand his comments about the rules leading it to be a sport. Refer to the tactics of lay and pray and short elbows to the head.

It is a bit like this boxing analogy, if you took away the rule that fighters were broken up by the referee after they tie up. And just left them to tie up as long as they wanted to. one could argue it would make boxing more like real fighting. but.

If that was the case we would have wrestlers becoming boxers, rushing in with a bear hug stopping their opponent punching and winning the round.

It's obviously bit of a daft analogy but it's exactly the way I see things. What's wrong with having rules that suit fighters with Diaz's style, sign me up for that shit lol.
james4210 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So happy to see the elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4210 View Post
What style of fighting do you like best?

Incidentally I understand his comments about the rules leading it to be a sport. Refer to the tactics of lay and pray and short elbows to the head.

It is a bit like this boxing analogy, if you took away the rule that fighters were broken up by the referee after they tie up. And just left them to tie up as long as they wanted to. one could argue it would make boxing more like real fighting. but.

If that was the case we would have wrestlers becoming boxers, rushing in with a bear hug stopping their opponent punching and winning the round.

It's obviously bit of a daft analogy but it's exactly the way I see things. What's wrong with having rules that suit fighters with Diaz's style, sign me up for that shit lol.
Because there are already ARE rules that suit the style of Diaz. They already stand fighters back up for lack of ground action, they already have to wear gloves that protect a strikers hands and ruin a grapplers grip, they already can't knee to the head while they are holding their opponent down, they already can't headbutt their opponent who is already down.

Not allowing Elbows isn't going to prevent the lay and pray. Nobody likes the lay and pray, and if you take away yet another striking option from the top position, then you are only limiting their offense even more... and forcing to throw only punches. If you do this... you will likely see less action as fighter who are already prone to lay and pray simply won't strike often at all, because they have to create a lot of space to do it.

Finally, because this isn't "let's take a certain style of fighting and make rules that suit that fighter because some people find it more interesting" Martial Arts. It's Mixed Martial Arts and the entire point of it is that you are supposed to be able to bring your own discipline into the fight and be able to apply it effectively without rules preventing you from doing so. That's why I love MMA... it gives everyone a chance to prove exactly what they can do. If they want the ground game taken out, then they should just put Muay Thai in the cage. I would watch it... sounds fun, but it wouldn't be MMA.

If you can't stop your opponent from taking you down and controlling you, then tough shit... you better train harder. If you have trained as well as you could and you still can't stop your opponent from taking you down at will and controlling you... then maybe MMA isn't the path you should take.


I love to see all of the different styles, to be honest. However, I do like to see fighters who are out to finish their opponent. Whether that be striking on their feet, submissions on the ground, Ground and pound, whatever it takes. Usually when watching MMA I tend to prefer what ever style the fighter that I like more has during each fight. I'm a wrestler and it frustrates me when some wrestlers take down a fighter that I prefer and my favorite fighter can't stop it... then on the other hand it annoys me when my favorite fighter during the next match is a wrestler, and they get stood up repeatedly, even though it's the guy on bottom who is stalling out the action. It works both ways.

Sometimes I feel that if you took out automatic standups from top position, then it would create more action. This would be because the guy on bottom would know that he can't be saved, and he is going to have to work off his back, creating opportunites for the top man to find openings to attack himself. Automatic standups don't work too well, because 9 times out of 10, they are going to end up right back in the same position seconds later anyways. You might be surprised to know that fighters train to stalemate a fight from their back. It's often very difficult to do too much in MMA, when someone is just sitting in a closed guard, playing all defense and not even making an attempt to fight back, escape, or submit you. Especially considering how limited the striking from the top position already is due to the rules. If you could just let them lay there and hold your arms as you headbutt the shit out of them... it would be a different story.

Those are my thoughts anyways.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013