Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Charles-Marciano 1

In your opinion, why didn't Rocky put Ezzard away the first time around? It was a great fight with some close moments. Did Ezzard get lucky to survive going the distance, or was it because of his style? Rocky was slaughtering everyone at this point, which surprises me that Ezzard Charles broke the cycle and went the distance.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Charles-Marciano 1

Ezzard fought really well, considering where he was career-wise. He showed a lot of good moves and a ton of toughness in there.

Rocky fought him like he fought everybody. It was just a case of Charles not going anywhere. Rock tried as hard as he tried with anybody to put him away. He was just in with another great fighter, albeit faded, who wouldn't go away.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ezzard Charles was one hell of a fighter and he displayed amazing grit and durability against Marciano.

Charles showed he could take a punch, for any doubters who may have wondered about his chin when Walcott knocked him out.

Charles was just a great fighter. Maybe if he was 4 or 5 years younger he would have won against Marciano. I suspect so, but I don't know. They were both such great fighters.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

Wasn't Charles two years older than Rocky? I always thought that Ezzard was still somewhat prime in this fight, but not as good of a heavyweight as he was a lightweight.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Charles was not prime, but he was still very skilled and quite fast in 1954. I always thought Charles matched up great against Marciano..A 1948 Charles could outbox and outpoint Marciano with his very fast hands, and sharp punches. He could move more fluidly in 48 and would be more likely to get out of harm's way if he got into trouble. Although I doubt a 1948 Charles could repeat the durability performance he put up in 54 against Marciano, which is why I would still give Marciano the slight edge.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Such a shame rounds 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11-14 don't exist on film of Marciano-Charles I. We are missing over half the fight! Probably some amazing boxing displayed by charles in those early rounds that were missing. Not to mention Marciano's inhumane punch output in the championship rounds I would love to see.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Marciano's 1 punch power is over-rated but he's a great attrition puncher. Perhaps Charles did not let him attrit.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Marciano's 1 punch power is over-rated but he's a great attrition puncher. Perhaps Charles did not let him attrit.
How so? Few others have demonstrated the type of 1-punch power that Marciano showed throughout his entire career. If you look over his professional record, it is littered with 1 punch KOs of oponents in a wide variety of skill level.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
In your opinion, why didn't Rocky put Ezzard away the first time around? It was a great fight with some close moments. Did Ezzard get lucky to survive going the distance, or was it because of his style? Rocky was slaughtering everyone at this point, which surprises me that Ezzard Charles broke the cycle and went the distance.

You act as though Marciano had a choice in the matter and Ezzard didnt...
klompton is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Charles rose to the occassion with what many observed as one of best nights and it wasn't Rocky's best performance(actually claiming it as one of his worst).

"I thought I almost had him in the end. I did plenty of things wrong, but mostly, I was over-trained and stale and had to fight myself into condition....my worst fight."

Rocky arrived at Grossinger's shortly before Christmas 1953, and didn't leave until the fight rolled around in June 1954, so he essentially had a 7 month training camp. He had let himself go physically before the fight by most accounts and struggled to get back into shape, he was also distracted by some sort of death threats to his family.

-Rocky Marciano: Rock of His Times

Not much to complain about, outside of the nose injury, he demolished Charles in the rematch, knocking him out and winning all but one round I think.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Charles technical prowess shines against the awkward windmill. Everyone praises Marciano for his consistency, and it's true. He showed his human spirit, and monk-like dedication that allowed him to display some of the greatest showings of stamina and punch-output you could see in a fight. But Marciano wasn't usually the fastest starter, and that was apparent in this fight. He lost most of the first 6 rounds, and attested that due to ring rust or ring activity. This is also indicated to a lesser extent in his fight with Roland LaStarza. After the fight, Marciano called it his "worst fight." Maybe because Charles went the distance when Marciano had many chances to put him away.

Marciano really didn't show any real patient, calculated attack whenever he had Charles hurt. I emphasized this fight as an example that Marciano's finishing abilities were more overrated than his punching power. He had Charles going in the 6th, 10th, and 15th. But Marciano tried steamrolling over a technical boxing guru who knew that surviving the waves of assault was far more important than matching any of Marciano's attack. Couldn't have been done. Charles rolled fairly well to avoid some of Marciano's wild rights, and had his right hand glued to his cheek, determined to block and parry every and any wild left hook attack. Marciano did show good punch variation which troubled Charles just as much as his output did. But his defense, and precision were hardly his finest showings in this fight. A case of perhaps rings rust and over-zealousness on Rocky's part.

The rematch is a classic example of Marciano getting better in the rematches. Of course, Charles weighed 7 pounds heavier probably an indication he didn't have the same belief that he could withstand and even win a war against Rocky. This time, with a bit of drama and crisis, Marciano pulls through with that "turn it on" clutch factor. And he wins virtually all of the rounds, starting much much better.

A better example of precision combined with intensity would have to be the Moore fight. Goldman called that Rocky's "finest performance." The only thing usually helping the opposition withstanding the assault was luck and the bell.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Charles rose to the occassion and it wasn't Rocky's best performance(actually claiming it as one of his worst).

"I thought I almost had him in the end. I did plenty of things wrong, but mostly, I was over-trained and stale and had to fight myself into condition....my worst fight."

Rocky arrived at Grossinger's shortly before Christmas 1953, and didn't leave until the fight rolled around in June 1954, so he essentially had a 7 month training camp.

-Rocky Marciano: Rock of His Times
Ah, you beat me too it. Very good. Way better than my rambling of a post.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Charles was still one hell of a fighter. Ezzard gave it his all. It was his last roll of the dice, he won his last two fights in great knockout style to EARN that shot.

Satterfield and Wallace had been eclipsed as contenders by Charles who was still the best out there - after the champion.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
How so? Few others have demonstrated the type of 1-punch power that Marciano showed throughout his entire career. If you look over his professional record, it is littered with 1 punch KOs of oponents in a wide variety of skill level.
Walcott I, Joe walked into a punch after 13 rounds and Marciano was getting to him. Walcott II, he was old and spent, went down and gave up. He was hardly out. LaStarza lasted how many rounds over two fights? And that lightheavy beanpole, hype job from Seattle doesn't count unless we are rating Rock's power as a lightheavy. Moore needed a sustained beatdown, and certainly ****ell. Likewise, a shopworn Ezzard, fighting above his best division, needed two fights worth of beatdown to succumb. I don't see real 1 punch power there.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 04-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I don't know many heavyweight champions with one punch kayos on film over top rated contenders/champions like Marciano has over Layne and Walcott. Not many at all. Not to mention the Harry Kid Matthews knockout which needed only 2 short left hooks(only time Matthews down for the 10 count in over 100 fights). Marciano had very legit one punch power in his right hand prior to 1954...His style changed after 1953 which took away alot of his one punch power. But watch him on film around 1951 the way he winds up that big right hand, absolute sickening one punch power.

Before you question layne's ability to take a punch...check out this film right here, how many bombs layne takes off one of the best punchers of the era bob satterfield

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUlBPErrn0[/ame]
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum