Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #76
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 43-0 with 31 kos and you still need a tuneup?

Hatton will never fight Mayweather, for him to have to take a tune up fight is complete BS. I guess we shouldn't be surprised by this though since he did the exact samething after the Kostya Tszyu fight. It's sad that every fight these days seems to be some kind of tune up fight.
audio101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #77
bigtime9
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
What a bitch Hatton is the guy needs a tuneup and fight the fight in Manchester. Hatton knows Floyd doesnt want a tuneup so he think Floyd will sit around until April taking almost a year off. Is it any clearer now to the nuthuggers that Hatton doesnt want this fight he just feels pressured into it.
great post, at least you can see through ricky's shenanigans
bigtime9 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #78
errsta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 181

Quote:
All fighters take tuneups.

Floyd fought 6 of them in a row between Castillo and Judah.
errsta is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #79
mancat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog
If you were looking at the biggest fight of your career at a higher weight class would you want a tune up fight?
Floyd didn't take a tune up at 154 for DLH.
mancat is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #80
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe wrenched
So before Ricky even came out with this offer his team were confident about HBO's shelling out the cash?
What i am saying is HBO had a 3 fight deal to give Hatton stateside exposure to build a mega-fight with Floyd.

SO?? It seems safe to speculate that HBO, Hatton, Floyd, and everyone else KNOWS this fight makes money. Why would they give Hatton a 3 fight NON-PPV deal which lets more people see Hatton, in the USA and worldwide, and then suddenly back out when the BIG FIGHT COMES?? It's common sense

My question is, whats SO HARD about giving PBF15 and Hatton 10 or a base number + based on sales which could net those amounts???
This fight will do nice numbers and there's $$$$$$ to go around.
C Money is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #81
skipdog
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs
People who do not understand tune-ups do not understand boxing.

In order to prepare fully for a top-flight flight a boxer needs to prepare fully for his opponent's style.

Hatton has not faced a back-peddler the likes of Mayweather, and one competitive fight against a defensive fighter makes good sense.

I just hope that Mayweather is brave enough to accept Hatton's challenge and the purse offer and comes to England to fight Hatton. Somehow i doubt it. Mayweather has never fought outside of the USA (that to me speaks volumes). Hatton, by comparison has fought 6 times in the USA, including his second only bout, at Madison Square Garden.

Hatton would fill Wembley, Mayweather would fill the MacDonalds outside. I was at the Calzaghe fight against Jeff Lacy, and I spoke to some of the Lacy fans afterwards. They had come as a group, all 32 of them!! There were a few more than that at ringside, but mainly expat Americans working in England. I think everyone saw how many followers came to see Hatton's last fight.

Wherever Hatton fights Mayweather, I will be there to see it. How many of the so-called US fight fans in this forum will travel to England to watch Mayweather. Speak up. There must be somebody.

Wibs
I would love to get out there. In fact if I have the cash, Im there. I need a place to workout.. I will be cheering for Hatton..
skipdog is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #82
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper_Brown
I dont have a problem with him taking a tuneup fight at 147, if Floyd wanted to do the same thing if he was dropping in weight I would say that was fair as well.

When you are going up against the #1 guy in a weight class you want to be sure you are 100%.
Hmmm lets see he's sord of had a couple yrs to prepare, he's well aware he doesn't stand a chance so I guess these so called tune up fights is what helps him avoid him..
audio101 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #83
Prime Director

If Hatton does fight a tune-up, maybe he should fight Junior Witter.

By so doing, he could pick up a belt, eliminate a domestic rival, galvanize his position as the premiere UK fighter in the lower weights and get some practice tracking down a tricky, defensive-minded mover (who nonetheless probably hits harder than PBF).

The only problem here is Witter's backward-*ss Brendan Ingle style. Would it really prepare Hatton for PBF?
Prime Director is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #84
smokey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper_Brown
I dont have a problem with him taking a tuneup fight at 147, if Floyd wanted to do the same thing if he was dropping in weight I would say that was fair as well.

When you are going up against the #1 guy in a weight class you want to be sure you are 100%.
I'd give him a pass, except he said the same thing when Floyd was fighting at 140. His people said he would need a couple of fights to be ready to fight Mayweather.

Since when does the linear champ get to tune up for challengers? What champ isn't ready to defend his title? That's the moment when I lost respect for Hatton as the 140lb champ. I give him more credit now, but only because he's not dismissing challenges from rivals in his weight class. If does fight another fight in between, it should be against the winner of Harris-Witter.
smokey is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 AM   #85
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
If FMJ came down to light-welter, then that's fine - no tunes ups needed - it's nearer FMJ's natural weight anyway. If Hatton goes up to 147, then he needs time to let his body adjust to that - you're carrying 7lbs, usually of extra muscle - it affects speed and response time - you can't figure that out in sparring against a makeshift FMJ.

Why in the hell does FMJ think he deserves $20 million? Because he narrowly beat Oscar?

Nope - he needs to be an attraction and he's just not an exciting fighter at his current weight. I think if he went down to light-welter he'd be more interesting because he wouldn't be risking punishment at the hands of bigger men - but he's a b-list fighter with a-list skills.

He needs Hatton, Mosley and Cotto to secure a legacy - but he's still not an ATG - he's a Hall fo Famer, just for his skills perhaps, but he's not beloved or entertaining enough to justify the money he wants.

If he beats Hatton, convincingly and in an exciting fashion, then he'd be able to command more money because people would want to see what he'll do next.
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #86
smokey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff

Why in the hell does FMJ think he deserves $20 million? Because he narrowly beat Oscar?

Nope - he needs to be an attraction and he's just not an exciting fighter at his current weight. I think if he went down to light-welter he'd be more interesting because he wouldn't be risking punishment at the hands of bigger men - but he's a b-list fighter with a-list skills.

He needs Hatton, Mosley and Cotto to secure a legacy - but he's still not an ATG - he's a Hall fo Famer, just for his skills perhaps, but he's not beloved or entertaining enough to justify the money he wants.
It's true that Floyd had a lot of detractors, but a "b-list fighter"?!?! Please! Floyd is a well known boxer as far as boxers go in the US. He regularly apears in sports mags and even in non-sports oriented mags. He's Maxim magazines goto guy for boxing information. All the people here who act like Floyd has the fame of a Malignaggi are just wrong.

I know people who never watch boxing who know who Floyd Mayweather is. Most of them have a completely incorrect view of what kind of fighter he is, too. I had people coming to watch the De La Hoya fight asking me if I though Mayweather would KO Oscar. That in itself shows he has name recognition outside of hardcore boxing fans.

Besides, Mayweather has built a hell of a lot more legacy than Hatton has. 5 weight divisions and the closest he's come to losing is to a future hall of fame fighter. Hatton: 1 weight class, 1 foray into a weight class that almost ended in disaster against someone nobody will remember in 5 years. Hatton shown himself to be a good 140 pound fighter, but he has two big names on his record both of whom were on the downside from a historical perspective.
smokey is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #87
DonPrestige
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeh, saying he's a b list fighter is quite silly. You dont have to be liked to be considered an ATG or atleast you shouldnt have to. If the guy has A class skills then he should be on A class list. I like Augustine Emmanuel but that doesnt mean I'll rate him any higher.
DonPrestige is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #88
smokey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPrestige
Yeh, saying he's a b list fighter is quite silly. You dont have to be liked to be considered an ATG or atleast you shouldnt have to. If the guy has A class skills then he should be on A class list. I like Augustine Emmanuel but that doesnt mean I'll rate him any higher.
Yeah. I'm not a Mayweather fan, but you have to recognize the skills and accomplishments. I do think that he should have taken some tougher opponents along the way, but it's not like he didn't take ANY tought opponents. Angel Manfredi (fresh off win over prime Gatti), undefeated Corrales, Jesus Chavez, and Castillo... not exactly a list of pushovers.
smokey is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #89
albaneze
HAXHI - The new Champ
ESB Jr Member

What if the Tunneup Guy beats Hatton's Ass badly. Hmmm ? that would do some damage there. ..
albaneze is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #90
smokey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albaneze
What if the Tunneup Guy beats Hatton's Ass badly. Hmmm ? that would do some damage there. ..
If Hatton doesn't make this fine happen fairly quickly, it might happen. He really needs to stay active.
smokey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum