Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323
Default Shin splits

Lately the lower part of my shins are in agony whenever I put any sort of strain on them for a period of time. It feels like they're burning and I lose a lot of flexibility in them (more down to the pain) and after about 5mins I'll be fine. Is this shin splits? It's definitely on the lower part of the shin, near where the shin joins to the ankle, it might even be the tendons connecting them, I dunno. It started happening when I went to Vegas just over a month ago, just walking down the strip and they'd just burn like hell. So I stopped doing any sort of cardio or exercise that will strain them, but today I was on the rowing machine and I felt like they were on fire! Now they're absolutely fine, no pain, no swelling etc. Is this shin splits and how do you get over it? I thought rest was the only way, over a month should have been enough, so rest even more? My cardio is taking a big hit because of this.
Smudger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Shin splits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
Lately the lower part of my shins are in agony whenever I put any sort of strain on them for a period of time. It feels like they're burning and I lose a lot of flexibility in them (more down to the pain) and after about 5mins I'll be fine. Is this shin splits? It's definitely on the lower part of the shin, near where the shin joins to the ankle, it might even be the tendons connecting them, I dunno. It started happening when I went to Vegas just over a month ago, just walking down the strip and they'd just burn like hell. So I stopped doing any sort of cardio or exercise that will strain them, but today I was on the rowing machine and I felt like they were on fire! Now they're absolutely fine, no pain, no swelling etc. Is this shin splits and how do you get over it? I thought rest was the only way, over a month should have been enough, so rest even more? My cardio is taking a big hit because of this.

That doesn't sound like shin splints to me. I would occasionally get them when running if using bad technique like running too much on my toes or while running up and down the stands at a local high school for cardio.

The pain I felt with shin splints was localized in the front of the shin about midway between the knee and ankle. This sounds more like some tendon stress, maybe your Achilles tendon or some ligaments in the ankle. I'd go see an orthopedic Dr. for a definitive answer if it is causing that much pain and interfering with working out.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cheers mate. I think I have glass feet/ankles then. I just went to the orthopedo about my foot which flaired up just before I went to Vegas. I had pulled my tendons. Maybe it's all linked together.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

You need new shoes. Ones that fit you.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
apeboy
gym rat
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
Could be shin splints, but sounds very low down, I got them whilst doing too much road work but they were mid to lower shin.

Red hot burning sensation sounds about right, I felt like I had knives scraping down my shins. I had actually torn my periosteum (my calf muscles had torn away from the bone) - Ouch!! Going to a good physio is essential, find out what type of shin splint it might be, as "shin splints" is a very generic term. Also more stuff I did:

1] Cycle & use the rower more for cardio as it is low impact.

2]Get gait (running style) analysis done in a running shop and get a pair of running shoes that will save your shins by absorbing the impact.

3] Get shock absorbing insoles, they absorb up to 70% of road impact if they're good ones. I use sorbothane ones, they were recommended by my physio who is a consultant for Mizuno:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4] If all else fails, try to do some roadwork on a treadmill, a 2% incline replicates the difficulty of road running more accurately. I split my roadwork between a treadmill and the road and it works for me.

Good luck!
apeboy is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
You need new shoes. Ones that fit you.
My shoes do fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeboy View Post
Could be shin splints, but sounds very low down, I got them whilst doing too much road work but they were mid to lower shin.

Red hot burning sensation sounds about right, I felt like I had knives scraping down my shins. I had actually torn my periosteum (my calf muscles had torn away from the bone) - Ouch!! Going to a good physio is essential, find out what type of shin splint it might be, as "shin splints" is a very generic term. Also more stuff I did:

1] Cycle & use the rower more for cardio as it is low impact.

2]Get gait (running style) analysis done in a running shop and get a pair of running shoes that will save your shins by absorbing the impact.

3] Get shock absorbing insoles, they absorb up to 70% of road impact if they're good ones. I use sorbothane ones, they were recommended by my physio who is a consultant for Mizuno:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

4] If all else fails, try to do some roadwork on a treadmill, a 2% incline replicates the difficulty of road running more accurately. I split my roadwork between a treadmill and the road and it works for me.

Good luck!
Thanks mate. I might have to go back to the orthopedo, as judging by the responses it doesn't sound like the usual shin splits being lower down.
I'm just gonna stick to the bike for now, sucks a bit but oh well til I get it sorted it'll have to do.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
dave
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

When I get them I know it's time for a rest.
dave is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing