Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 215
vCash: 396
Default Cheap healthy food

What`s your best bet if you want to eat healthy AND cheaply?

Anyone has favorite recipes for somebody on a budget (or a good website/book to suggest)?

I don`t need anything fancy. I`m quite happy eating bananas, cold cuts and peanut butter as I like these, but it would be nice to have variety for a change.
SlickMick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
SenorRamirez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Eggs and tuna :=)
SenorRamirez is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
democritus2k
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 0
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Beans and grains with lots of veggies.

If you have extra dough, maybe splurge on some poultry, lean beef/pork, or fish.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
MrSmall
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 73
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Eggs, tinned fish.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickMick View Post
What`s your best bet if you want to eat healthy AND cheaply?

Anyone has favorite recipes for somebody on a budget (or a good website/book to suggest)?

I don`t need anything fancy. I`m quite happy eating bananas, cold cuts and peanut butter as I like these, but it would be nice to have variety for a change.

Try some Quinoia (Keen-wah) It is a grain that is very high in protein. I'll cook some down in a low sodium chicken stock to add some additional flavor. On its own, it has a slightly nutty taste to me. You can add some fresh veggies to it as it cooks, like chopped onion, green onions, diced carrots, peas etc. for more texture.

I'll do something similar with a brown rice mix I like to eat. I'll boil it till about 3/4 done and drain it and set aside. I'll take vegetables with a little sesame oil and stir fry them, add some low sodium soy sauce, maybe some shrimp, fish or chicken stock then add the rice to finish cooking. Stir fried rice is healthy for you and easy to make.

I grow most of the vegetables I eat so I know what I'm consuming. Besides, there's nothing like fresh out the garden produce for great flavor.

Cold cuts are not cheap and full of sodium used for preserving them. I tend to stay away from them but do like a good ham sandwich on occasion.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
democritus2k
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 0
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post

I grow most of the vegetables I eat so I know what I'm consuming. Besides, there's nothing like fresh out the garden produce for great flavor.


Same here. You get your money's worth just from your first harvest.

We got tomatoes, kale, collard greens, lettuce, cucumbers, green beans, eggplants, etc.

Soon we'll also have apples, pears and persimmons.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bullet stylee since day UNO ! ! !
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Buy a different herb each week, some you can use with a soup for instance, tattie n basil, tattie n chilli etc etc........spice rack/herbs.


Check RDJ too, he is into this stuff.


Also, as mentioned, grow your own...though it does take time...... its worth it, as i am finding out myself.
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bullet stylee since day UNO ! ! !
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by democritus2k View Post
Beans and grains with lots of veggies.

If you have extra dough, maybe splurge on some poultry, lean beef/pork, or fish.

Pork ?


Aint that the shittiest of all meats ?


Lamb is fatty.....as is Pork though i always thought Pork was lower down the scale of protein.
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
SenorRamirez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Fat is very important too...not only protein and carbs are important
SenorRamirez is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
democritus2k
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 0
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHighlander View Post
Pork ?


Aint that the shittiest of all meats ?


Lamb is fatty.....as is Pork though i always thought Pork was lower down the scale of protein.
Well, beef if you can afford it but obviously pork is so much cheaper. Some cuts are leaner than others, so it depends on what you end up buying.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by democritus2k View Post
Well, beef if you can afford it but obviously pork is so much cheaper. Some cuts are leaner than others, so it depends on what you end up buying.
I buy a good bit of pork and boneless pork loin is one of my favorite cuts. I buy it whole and cut it myself to whatever thickness I desire. I'll leave them about 1 inch thick for grilling or I'll leave it whole and cut it about 1/4 inch thick and roll it while cutting to make a long sheet of pork. I'll then layer herbs, onions, spinach or chard and a bit of cheese, then roll it up like a huge jelly roll, tie it off and bake it. Great stuff there.

Right now I'm smoking a 10 lb. Boston Butt pork roast. It is fattier than a lot of cuts but the fat really cooks out as it smokes for about 10 hrs. at 225 degrees.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
democritus2k
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 0
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
I buy a good bit of pork and boneless pork loin is one of my favorite cuts. I buy it whole and cut it myself to whatever thickness I desire. I'll leave them about 1 inch thick for grilling or I'll leave it whole and cut it about 1/4 inch thick and roll it while cutting to make a long sheet of pork. I'll then layer herbs, onions, spinach or chard and a bit of cheese, then roll it up like a huge jelly roll, tie it off and bake it. Great stuff there.

Right now I'm smoking a 10 lb. Boston Butt pork roast. It is fattier than a lot of cuts but the fat really cooks out as it smokes for about 10 hrs. at 225 degrees.
Dang, you making me hungry over here.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
lfcirishdog
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
vCash: 75
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Frozen vegetables, tuna, brown bread, beans,
lfcirishdog is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

Those whole roasted chickens major supermarket chains carry (Like Kroger). $4.99 for the whole damn chicken. I can get 4 meals out of them, with each meal having more than 12oz of chicken. And they are already cooked.
LongJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #15
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 215
vCash: 396
Default Re: Cheap healthy food

@ Gumbo

The stir fried rice recipe sounds really good/tasty. Definetely something I'm going to try out.

Is it practical to grow your own vegetables if you live in an apartment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJab View Post
Those whole roasted chickens major supermarket chains carry (Like Kroger). $4.99 for the whole damn chicken. I can get 4 meals out of them, with each meal having more than 12oz of chicken. And they are already cooked.
Nice. That sounds like a great deal.
SlickMick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013