Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Coldhearted
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 502
Default Khan - McCloskey Post Fight Analysis

So this is what I made of the whole fight:

Firstly the basics, the general rule in boxing is to hit and to not get hit.
McCloskey's rule in the fight was don't hit and don't get hit.

Anyone who thinks McCloskeys would have improved in the later rounds is absolutely delusional. Khan had McCloskey in trouble in round 5 and 6 and Khan would only step up the pace. McCloskey did not come to fight I don't know what stupid tactics his corner had but it wasn't obviously a well thought out plan.

I agree it wasn't the best performance from Khan but credit to him he took the fight to McCloskey. What would happen if Khan sat back and waited for the counter?? How shit of a fight would that have been?? Full credit to him for taking the fight to him. The headbutt was McCloskeys fault anyway so all complaints should be directed back at him and not retarded accuasations of the doctor being paid off. Personally I do not see any good reaon why the fight should have carried on. McCloskey let his fans down and let Ireland down, he didn't do anything he said he would do, every time he threw a punch (if he even could be bothered throwing a punch) he either hit Khan's guard or got two punches back in his face. I don't blame the Irish fans for their devoted support of him but I do feel he let them down. McCloskey was going to get stopped rounds 10ish even if it did go all the way Khan would have won every round NO DOUBT!

The truth is Khan was probably getting as bored of McCloskey as we all were therefore was glad the fight was over and not because he was worried he would lose in the later rounds. McCloskey did have an awkward style but he is not skilled he can just move his head a bit but then again so can a dancer!!

And since when has Khan been known to tire in the later rounds?? I don't understand where people get this idea from. Every fight that Khan has been 12 rounds in he has kept up the pace except the Maidana fight which was a war and a very high work rate fight in which you expect the fighter to become tired not to mention Khan was feeling fatigued due to over training. Watch the Malignaggi, Kotelnik fights. Did Khan tire in these fights??

Lastly I would like to say every top fighter has a bad performance Khan still has got learning to do I agree he is not the elite status yet that he wants to be but he is by far the best of the British and Irish fighters and no doubt will be the best in his division. The PFP status remains an unanswered question!

If you don't agree with this then fair enough I may be wrong on 1 or 2 points but I am certainly not wrong on everything I have said!!!
Coldhearted is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: Khan - McCloskey Post Fight Analysis

Could you really not have posted this in one of the other half dozen threads on the fight?
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Coldhearted
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Could you really not have posted this in one of the other half dozen threads on the fight?
My bad!!! Didn't really go through the other threads, oh well this ESB I'm sure there will be a lot more threads to come.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Swedish81
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

If the stoppage would not have occurred I felt that the fight was going to be somewhat like Pirog vs Maciel.
Pirog looked pretty bad but won easily against an awkward fighter who was just there to survive.
Swedish81 is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

McCloskey was simply horrid.He is like that Jr. Witter dude who ****ed his American TV career with a horrid showing against Judah.Keep this Euro Champ in Europe.No one here wishes to ever see him again.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Wubbleyou

vCash: 500

I agree with most of what you said Coldhearted, except the bit about whether the fight should have been stopped or not. The fight should have continued. There was only 30 seconds of the round left. McCloskey's corner should have had a look first and then decided. The Doctor got it wrong.
Wubbleyou is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

McCloskey will look decent against certain opponents even at world class I think. If he fought a Kotelnik, I think it would be a decent fight and he would throw a lot more punches. Kotelnik would be favorite of course but Paul would give him issues. He didn't deal with Khan's sloppy flurries very well just because of the speed of them mainly.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Coldhearted
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbleyou View Post
I agree with most of what you said Coldhearted, except the bit about whether the fight should have been stopped or not. The fight should have continued. There was only 30 seconds of the round left. McCloskey's corner should have had a look first and then decided. The Doctor got it wrong.
Fair enough point taken on board
Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I agree. Paul came with the bizarre mentality of 'make him piss, but not make him pay'. He was very negative, and contributed to a negative fight. Most will tell you that this was his plan - to survive and take a tiring Khan into the latter rounds. Seems like a good idea, but it was a shame he applied it in a foolish way. Because in order to make this a successful plan, he should have taken the fight to Khan early, and rush him like Maidana. You'd have to be one misinformed idiot to think Khan was tiring in a steady boxing match.

The best thing McCloskey did, was make Khan miss. He was negative, and like the HBO team correctly said, Khan did what he had to do against a guy who didn't come to fight. If I was a McCloskey fan, I'd be very disappointed by my man.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Coldhearted
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I agree. Paul came with the bizarre mentality of 'make him piss, but not make him pay'. He was very negative, and contributed to a negative fight. Most will tell you that this was his plan - to survive and take a tiring Khan into the latter rounds. Seems like a good idea, but it was a shame he applied it in a foolish way. Because in order to make this a successful plan, he should have taken the fight to Khan early, and rush him like Maidana. You'd have to be one misinformed idiot to think Khan was tiring in a steady boxing match.

The best thing McCloskey did, was make Khan miss. He was negative, and like the HBO team correctly said, Khan did what he had to do against a guy who didn't come to fight. If I was a McCloskey fan, I'd be very disappointed by my man.
Agree dude I just wish the ref let the fight carry on and then Khan could just knock the ****er out it would silence all the opportunists excuse makers
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
willmc83
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcity View Post
McCloskey was simply horrid.He is like that Jr. Witter dude who ****ed his American TV career with a horrid showing against Judah.Keep this Euro Champ in Europe.No one here wishes to ever see him again.
I couldn't help but notice that you have gone to considerable trouble to post about this fight in several threads, often with derogatory comments towards Ireland and Europe, strange for someone who doesn't appear to have had much interest or stake in the fight..
willmc83 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum