Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nur der HSV
Posts: 293
vCash: 1000
Default No thread on Sturm?

as far as i can see at least.

Sure, the opponent wasnt top notch, but he dominated him from start to finish, didnt he?

It looked close to a shut out to me, the 116-112 verdict of that belgian judge was a joke, maybe alcoba nicked a round and earned a share of another.

Sturm is no puncher, we knew that before, otherwise hed have finished him off, he had him on rubber legs a few times. But he again displayed a brilliant jab, superb reflexes, nice left hook thrown in a counter, even the occasional upper cut and right cross. Thats just one marvelous technical fighter.

And I do know you re only as good as your opponent allows you to. Alcoba was game, kept coming on even when he got toyed with, he showed to have a fairly good stamina but admittedly no defence
Flurry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry
as far as i can see at least.

Sure, the opponent wasnt top notch, but he dominated him from start to finish, didnt he?

It looked close to a shut out to me, the 116-112 verdict of that belgian judge was a joke, maybe alcoba nicked a round and earned a share of another.

Sturm is no puncher, we knew that before, otherwise hed have finished him off, he had him on rubber legs a few times. But he again displayed a brilliant jab, superb reflexes, nice left hook thrown in a counter, even the occasional upper cut and right cross. Thats just one marvelous technical fighter.

And I do know you re only as good as your opponent allows you to. Alcoba was game, kept coming on even when he got toyed with, he showed to have a fairly good stamina but admittedly no defence
Sturm showed an impressive performance against an opponent who was tailor made for him.Of course you can always find a fly in the ointment and kill your wife ,but apart from a certain lack of aggressiveness he showed a more or less flawless performance against that black Uruguayan.
By the way Alcola showed a tiger't heart in yesterday's fight against Sturm.Props to him for trying to win the title!
You are right,merry! 116-112 was a ridiculous scorecard.The Belgian ref must have watched a different fight!
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

The fight was absolutely not neccessary - poor matchmaking...

my thoughts: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nur der HSV
Posts: 293
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
Sturm showed an impressive performance against an opponent who was tailor made for him.Of course you can always find a fly in the ointment and kill your wife ,but apart from a certain lack of aggressiveness he showed a more or less flawless performance against that black Uruguayan.
By the way Alcola showed a tiger't heart in yesterday's fight against Sturm.Props to him for trying to win the title!
You are right,merry! 116-112 was a ridiculous scorecard.The Belgian ref must have watched a different fight!
He did, didnt he? You alwaas get that sort of attitude with south american fighters, they keep coming until the end, either you knock them out or else they make you work hard for the win until the final bell. Its a pride thing I believe

He was technically very limited, thats true
Flurry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nur der HSV
Posts: 293
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tocca
The fight was absolutely not neccessary - poor matchmaking...

my thoughts: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
He wanted to stay active I believe thats why he took the fight and apart will have a mandatory ahead in late summer or early autumn I believe - nothing wrong with that in my eyes.
Flurry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry
He wanted to stay active I believe thats why he took the fight and apart will have a mandatory ahead in late summer or early autumn I believe - nothing wrong with that in my eyes.
Bt still Alcoba didn't deserve this bout...

Griffin - Sturm should be even money...
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nur der HSV
Posts: 293
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tocca
Bt still Alcoba didn't deserve this bout...

Griffin - Sturm should be even money...
He probably didnt, but did taylor deserve a shot at Abrams? He had already been annihilated by Mosley years earlier and 2 weight classes below. Or that argie guy who got ko ed by Wlad with one left hook inside the first 100 seconds of their fight in Munich? Or DM defending his title in danzig against a guy who had been inactive for years then fought a handful of no hopers a few divisions above his original division to get a shot at DM? Or Roy JOnes fighting a part time boxer who was employed with the NYPD? All Im saying is this sort of thing happens all the time. Im not objecting to a figher taking an easy tune up in between as long as he delivers the goods in a demanding fight against a worthy foe next time.
Flurry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

This joke of a title fight doesn't deserve any attention let alone an own thread.
NBT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
This joke of a title fight doesn't deserve any attention let alone an own thread.
Thanks for chiming in NBT...
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

my main problem with alcoma , is that he was so slow of hand i am still waiting for a punch he threw last night to get there this morning.

if he was my postman i would complain.

if sturm had stood his ground and teed of with combo`s he could have ended this early because while alcoma did move his head , his arms were by his side , in a hybrid american tecnique that he had neither the talent or power to adopt,

still he was game, kept coming forward and trying to land.

sturm could have kept his distance more by opening up and putting more authority into his punches , but with sturm you know what you are going to get beforehand and that is a tight guard and a technical fight.

since sturm only just beat castelljo what seemed just a few weeks ago to me , (time flies as you get older ) this was obviously a stay busy fight and onto the next one.

to be honest i wish a load of my favourite fighters would do this just so we see them more than there 1 possibly 2 outings a year.
sean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Jens S
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingdom of Denmark
Posts: 171
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

The match-up was a disgrace to boxing. No, it was not ok for staying active between mandatories. Alcoba was nowhere near top50 and probably not in the top100.

It is ok for a champion to take an easier fight sometimes and fight an opponent that is 20-30 in the world, but not any lower than that. 30 is in itself critical. The real problem is when hardcore fans start to accept these match-ups. Because the limits are stretched a bit every time, and we shouldn't settle for this kind of crap. Remember when they wanted Peter Mitrevski Jr. for a fight against Beyer? They tried to push the limits. Luckily for once german tv said no.

Why should a champion be allowed to fight unworthy opponents? If we accept such a fight as an acceptable matching, the sport will die. Because there is no need for the promotors to make better match-ups, if we accept them. And in the end people will start screaming for Hall of Fame status because of the numbers of defenses, not looking at the opponents. Take a look at Sven Ottkes record. I have heard some argue that he should be in HOF, because he defended his title 21 times. But who did he fight? Match-ups with fighters like Nardiello, Hernandez, Bryan, Pudwill, Crawford and Gatti were not easy fights. They were disgracefull fights. Beyer-Colajanni? The italian barely made the EBU-rankings. Nishizawa getting two title shots???

It was 100 percent ok, when Ottke fought fighters like Reid, Branco or Markussen. Not top10 fighters, but solid fighters who could fight. Those are acceptable stay active/make money fights.

When you muck about padded records of fighters, just remember that they do it for exactly this reason: to get a good payday or a world titleshot. And they get it because of uncritical fans just accpeting the numbers: "uhhh, 14-0. He must be good" or "It is ok for an in between fight".

Most of the times the fans in Eastsides foras are in the trenches defending their own fighters. That is a shame. When matchmakers shit in your face, don't say "Thank you"!

Jens
Jens S is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
matt_maxx
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 84
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
This joke of a title fight doesn't deserve any attention let alone an own thread.
That sums it up pretty well!
matt_maxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens S
The match-up was a disgrace to boxing. No, it was not ok for staying active between mandatories. Alcoba was nowhere near top50 and probably not in the top100.

It is ok for a champion to take an easier fight sometimes and fight an opponent that is 20-30 in the world, but not any lower than that. 30 is in itself critical. The real problem is when hardcore fans start to accept these match-ups. Because the limits are stretched a bit every time, and we shouldn't settle for this kind of crap. Remember when they wanted Peter Mitrevski Jr. for a fight against Beyer? They tried to push the limits. Luckily for once german tv said no.

Why should a champion be allowed to fight unworthy opponents? If we accept such a fight as an acceptable matching, the sport will die. Because there is no need for the promotors to make better match-ups, if we accept them. And in the end people will start screaming for Hall of Fame status because of the numbers of defenses, not looking at the opponents. Take a look at Sven Ottkes record. I have heard some argue that he should be in HOF, because he defended his title 21 times. But who did he fight? Match-ups with fighters like Nardiello, Hernandez, Bryan, Pudwill, Crawford and Gatti were not easy fights. They were disgracefull fights. Beyer-Colajanni? The italian barely made the EBU-rankings. Nishizawa getting two title shots???

It was 100 percent ok, when Ottke fought fighters like Reid, Branco or Markussen. Not top10 fighters, but solid fighters who could fight. Those are acceptable stay active/make money fights.

When you muck about padded records of fighters, just remember that they do it for exactly this reason: to get a good payday or a world titleshot. And they get it because of uncritical fans just accpeting the numbers: "uhhh, 14-0. He must be good" or "It is ok for an in between fight".

Most of the times the fans in Eastsides foras are in the trenches defending their own fighters. That is a shame. When matchmakers shit in your face, don't say "Thank you"!

Jens
You made some good points,jen!

Interesting post! You can find a lot of thruth in it!

By the way I for my part also call it a shame that German tv showed a women's fight instead of Bidenko vs Hersisia.Two clumsy and totally cluessless women were trying to imitate real male fighters going at each other.What a disgrace!

According to the news Bidenko vs Herisia was a very close and very entertaining fight.I guess that almost every fight fan would have prefered watching this heavy weight clash to that women's fight.
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #14
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Here are all results of yesterday's fight card:


WBA World Championship Middleweight (12 Rounds)
Felix Sturm (GER) vs. Neo Tulio Gonzalez Alcoba (URG)
W PTS; 120:108, 118:110, 116:112


WIBF World Championship Jr. Flyweight (10 Rounds)
Julia Sahin (GER) vs. Hollie Dunaway (USA)
W PTS; 94:96, 96:94, 97:94


GBU World Championship Jr. Bantamweight (10 Rounds)
Alesia Graf (BLR) vs. Natascha Guthier (GER)
W TKO, Rd. 3, 103


WBC International Championship Super Middleweight (12 Rounds)
Denis Inkin (RUS) vs. Jozsef Nagy (HUN)
W TKO, Rd. 5, 2`08


WBC Intercontinental Championship Heavyweight (12 Rounds)
Taras Bidenko (UKR) vs. Richel Hersisia (NED)
W PTS; 115:113, 117:111, 115:113


Welterweight (8 Rounds)
Maurice Weber (GER) vs. Gotthard Hinteregger (AUT)
W PTS: 80:72, 80:72, 80:72


Jr. Welterweight (8 Rounds)
Marcos Rene Maidana (ARG) vs. Laszlo Komjathi (HUN)
W TKO, Rd. 3, 037


Jr. Bantamweight (4 Rounds)
Magdalena Dahlen (GER) vs. Albena Atseva (BUL)
W TKO; Rd. 3, 142
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: xxyxxyxxyxxyxxyxxy
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
This joke of a title fight doesn't deserve any attention let alone an own thread.
unitas is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013