Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #31
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: No thread on Sturm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry
Imo rubbish, with a mandatory in sight within a mere 2 months from now you do not take on the best out there.
That's much more rubbish. If you want to make easy money beating a non-deserving guy, don't call it a title fight. If he wants to stay busy, why didn't he fight his mandatory instead? Why does he want to delay his mandatory now?

Quote:
added lots of others before hadnt either so I dont understand the fuss
Right... Other guys did kill some people before so why shouldn't I do it? I don't understand the fuss.

Quote:
this was prime time boxing televized to several millions with a world title at stake in front of several thousands in a packed arena.
Sad, isn't it? Other fighters and other fights don't get the attention and recognition they deserve but this abortion of a "title fight" does.

Quote:
I fail to see why he should be a paper champ
That's easy, because he is.
There can only be one World Champion, that is the meaning of the word. It's one thing to call yourself "World Champion" if there is no champ in the division (but even then the title holder are paper champs) but the Middleweight devision has a true and undisputed World Champion.
NBT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #32
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Full Member

Quote:
That's much more rubbish. If you want to make easy money beating a non-deserving guy, don't call it a title fight. If he wants to stay busy, why didn't he fight his mandatory instead? Why does he want to delay his mandatory now?

It was called a world title fight cos Sturm holds a title. How would I know why the mandatory was set for summer, I wasnt there when they negotiated the deal and you werent either, he only just regained his title against cadstillejo didnt he? He´s got a mandatory at hand and has slipped in a voluntary defense. Common stuff in the box biz and nothing to argue about. Do you think all title fights had to be mandatories?

I suppose Kohl who by contract has to deliver so and so many title fights according to his TV contract (as is often the case with TV deals) felt obliged to stage this one. Ask him.

Quote:
Right... Other guys did kill some people before so why shouldn't I do it? I don't understand the fuss.
Cry me a river. Who got killed where and when

Quote:
Sad, isn't it? Other fighters and other fights don't get the attention and recognition they deserve but this abortion of a "title fight" does.
Where have you been all these years, Moral priest? Thats the first time you watched a fight in which you felt one of the fighters shouldnt have been in there? And you re twisting around the more substantial issue why a fight that featured a world title holder defending his title (even if you didnt approve of the challenger) shouldnt be talked about, now you re saying it shouldnt even have been televised. If according to your logic only the very best of each division fighting the respectively second best should be called a title fight, be talked about and get televised this sport wouldnt exist. we d have maybe 4 televized bouts per year. maybe swap to Chess instead mate

Quote:
That's easy, because he is.
There can only be one World Champion, that is the meaning of the word. It's one thing to call yourself "World Champion" if there is no champ in the division (but even then the title holder are paper champs) but the Middleweight devision has a true and undisputed World Champion.

Right, if you had said only those guys that have unified their divisions can rightly be called world title holders I might have gone along with you (see my reply to the viking poster on the 2nd page). People with knowledge can tell the difference, its semantics, we have "world body title holders" that for publicity reasons are called world title holders, again thats the biz, you could complain this very case we re discussing and maybe 30 additional title defenses all around the world each year. Sturm is a deserving champ, its semantics ranting on about the validity of the term "world" in his title. Following your logic only fights that featured current holders unifiying the division could rightly be called world title fights, in that cae neither this defense Sturm just made nor his upcoming bout against griffin were a world title bout as Griffin holds no title. All of Abrams title defenses were no world title bouts as Abrams to date has never unified. And none of these should be televized then? Illusionary. mate, boxing is a crucked biz but dont tell me you needed me to remind you of it.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #33
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Interesting exchange of opinions,guys!Glad that you are back ,merry!

As for your,nbt, a lot ot thruth can be found in your posts,and up to a certain agree I quite agree with you.However,to tell the truth,money is the name of this game,and I for my part have lost my faith long over the years.
The goal of any fighter is to make as much money as possible in as short a time as possible.Pro boxing is a very dangerous sport.I for sure dont like matches like Sturm vs Alcoba,or Erdei vs Blades,but I can understand both champs to take on easy opponents in order to earn easy money.
To be the owner of a title means that you can call the shots.Mismatches,ridiculous title defences,and so on are part of the pro game.
Pro boxing and fairness are two words which dont cross their ways very often.
I very often get angry when I see that the markebility of a fighter is quite frequently more important than his real skills.
Anyway! That is the way this game is played out there on this planet.We have to stick to the rules.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #34
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It was called a world title fight cos Sturm holds a title.
I beg you pardon, a paper title.

Quote:
Do you think all title fights had to be mandatories?
No, but I think all title fights should be between a legit champion and a deserving challenger. This fight lacked both.

Quote:
I suppose Kohl who by contract has to deliver so and so many title fights according to his TV contract
Then you're wrong, he is only obliged to stage a certain number of events per year, theres nothing about "title fights" in the TV contract because, of course, you can't guarantee them.

Quote:
Who got killed where and when
The credibility of boxing as a sport got killed.

Quote:
If according to your logic only the very best of each division fighting the respectively second best should be called a title fight,
Nope, as I stated before, a title fight is a fight between the champ (which Sturm obviously isn't) and a deserving challenger, or between two deserving challengers if the title is vacant.

Quote:
Sturm is a deserving champ, its semantics ranting on about the validity of the term "world" in his title.
There is nothing deserving about him, he got three paper belts because of the power of his promoter only. How exactly did he deserve the rematch against Castillejo? What had he done to deserve a title since he got knocked out?
NBT is offline  Top
Old 07-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #35
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Full Member

hehehe, back to basics here again it seems

Its just as I stated before, you got a problem with Sturm and all your ranting on about "true" world champs and how badly the game in itself was run and the cruel injustices of this world was but a pretext to waste my precious time

Now, funnily enough we got 3 full and highly interesting pages about the world title holder Sturm and his most recent title defense. Hey, thats quite something and I have to thank you for your valuable contribution, if it hadnt been for you we would have stopped after the 7th reply, I fear.

As to Kohl´s TV contract, Im pretty sure he had to guarantee a certain number of title bouts per year and in case he failed to fulfill his obligation would get his revenues reduced, but I cant be ****d to google for it and dig up the article where I read it .

Good input nbt, see you on my next Sturm thread
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #36
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Now, funnily enough we got 3 full and highly interesting pages about the world title holder Sturm and his most recent title defense. Hey, thats quite something and I have to thank you for your valuable contribution, if it hadnt been for you we would have stopped after the 7th reply, I fear.
Well but I didn't say a word about the actual fight (I didn't bother to watch it) but if you want to hear what a joke this fight was over and over again I'm always happy to help you out.
NBT is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #37
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
Well but I didn't say a word about the actual fight (I didn't bother to watch it) but if you want to hear what a joke this fight was over and over again I'm always happy to help you out.
No matter you didnt comment on the actual fight, cos I did. Apart, bad press is better than no press at all besides, if you didnt even bother watching the fight that makes it even more uncomprehensible you felt entitled to comment on alcoma Simply judging by his rec then I suppose. He was better than his previous opponents would have suggested he might be. He was a game guy coming in to win at least, the way most south american fighters are.

But no hard feelings nbt, all is well. Honestly, thanks for contributing
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #38
ChuckYoungblood
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
my main problem with alcoma , is that he was so slow of hand i am still waiting for a punch he threw last night to get there this morning.

if he was my postman i would complain.
lol
ChuckYoungblood is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

By the way ,merry,what do you think about Abraham's next opponent Gevor? He plays in a different league than Alcola ,doesnt he! How long would Alcola have last against Abraham,merry? 2 rounds,3 rounds? I know that this isnt that fair as Sturm has a totally different style,and is no ko puncher,but all the same I am quite interested in your reply to aforementioned questions,merry! Will you attend Universum's next box event in Hamburg,merry? I know that you are not that keen on watching Krasniqui,but I guess that the arena wont be sold out and tickets shouldnt be that expensive for that particular fight event.

Last edited by jazzysoul06; 03-03-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #40
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
By the way ,merry,what do you think about Abraham's next opponent Gevor? He plays in a different league than Alcola ,doesnt he! How long would Alcola have last against Abraham,merry? 2 rounds,3 rounds? I know that this isnt that fair as Sturm has a totally different style,and is no ko puncher,but all the same I am quite interested in your reply to aforementioned questions,merry! Will you attend Universum's next box event in Hamburg,merry? I know that you are not that keen on watching Krasniqui,but I guess that the arena wont be sold out and tickets shouldnt be that expensive for that particular fight event.
I think Abrams would have ko ed the uruguayan, the guestfighter´s come forward style would have suited the smurf warrior, imo.

Im not going to attend the krasniqi show, odo, cos the card doesnt look appealing enough to me.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #41
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Well, main difference between Alcola und Ghoren, the armenian is mandatory. AA´s non-mandatory title defences weren´t that spectacular either
You are wrong,tobkhan!

The "main difference" between Alcola and Gevor is that Alcola is an unknown uruguayan with a laughable fight record and Gevor a warrior with a proven track record.
I am fairly sure that Gevor will give hell to his famous Armenian compatriot Abraham.Props to Alcola for his try to take Sturm's belt back hom to Uruguay,but he just doesnt play in Khoren Gevor ' s league.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #42
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You didn´t really get my point. I say AA would never take on somebody dangerous like Ghevor in a non-mandatory bout, same with Sturm.
I dont know,tobkhan.

Gevor would be a good choice for a voluntary defence,too.
He is Armenian,has a decent fight record,is fun to watch,and as Abraham takes much delight in his God like status at home in Armenia who else would be better suited to make him a living legend than his compatriot Gevor.
This fight is big at home.I guess that none of Artur's previous fights has got as much attention as this fight will get in Armenia.
And of couse Gevor is the underdog against Abraham-I dont think that there are many people out there you really think that Gevor can upset Abraham.
I dont think so either,but this fight wont be a walk in the park for the champ.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #43
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Simple, too dangerous for his promoter.
Imo this fight is close to 50/50 bcause Ghevor has a high workrate and the to beat Abraham you just need a good chin or defence, a high workrate and good stamina. AA can easily be outworked because he just fights in spurts.
I agree with you inasmuch as Gevor will make the water quite hot for Abraham,much hotter than a lot of people think he woud be able to do.
All the same I will bet my money on Abraham by either late stoppage or a point victory similar to the one Abraham scored against Kofi Jantuah.
Odo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum