Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default If GSP-Shields turns out to be a ground/grappling match, what are Shields' chances?

I think we all know GSP mutilates Shields standing up.

But hypothetically, if Shields can make it a ground/grappling match or if GSP decides he wants to fight Shields there, what chance do you give Shields of causing the upset?

(Bear in mind, this is a guy who outwrestled Dan Henderson at 185, hasn't lost since 2004, has excellent submission skills, and also holds wins over Okami, Condit, Sakurai, Pyle, Miller, Daley, Lawler and Kampmann.

I get the feeling that GSP views Shields as much more of a threat than the MMA world at large does. GSP and Greg Jackson know how good Jake Shields is.)
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If GSP-Shields turns out to be a ground/grappling match, what are Shields' chance

GSP will win on the ground as well. The only chance Shields has is to land something big that rocks GSP, then take him down and out grapple a 1/2 awake GSP and submit him. But that might very well happen.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: If GSP-Shields turns out to be a ground/grappling match, what are Shields' chance

Even if it does go to the ground and Jake gets the dominant position and keeps it, there's nothing in his recent fights to suggest he wont play it safe and keep position rather than go for the sub and risk losing position. It's possible he could do this for 3 rounds, but unlikely. GSP has become a master at adapting to opponents, and he respects Shields ground ability. He'll probably keep this standing, maybe mix it up with a takedown or two. If either man gets the TD and dominant position, their tactics will most likely be the same. GSP's ability on the feet will be the difference in this fight

Last edited by Stoo; 04-22-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think the 'outwrestled Dan Henderson' bit also fails to take into account just how bad a shape Dan was in after punching himself out in the first round. And its not like Henderson has the best takedown defense anyway. And Shields hasn't shown anything in other fights to suggest that he's a better wrestler than Koscheck, Hughes or Fitch - all of whom failed to control GSP on the ground. I just see this as a repeat of the second Koscheck fight as GSP perfects his Wladimir Klitschko impression.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
I think the 'outwrestled Dan Henderson' bit also fails to take into account just how bad a shape Dan was in after punching himself out in the first round. And its not like Henderson has the best takedown defense anyway. And Shields hasn't shown anything in other fights to suggest that he's a better wrestler than Koscheck, Hughes or Fitch - all of whom failed to control GSP on the ground. I just see this as a repeat of the second Koscheck fight as GSP perfects his Wladimir Klitschko impression.
Yeah, I'd have to go along with that. I do think Shields is a great grappler, but on the feet GSP will bust him up badly.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
TheBradyHawkes
۞
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2362

Better than if they stand and trade.
TheBradyHawkes is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

if it goes to the ground then shields chances are better i give him a 20% chance if he could keep the fight on the ground
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think people are confused if it goes to the ground shields has dangerous ability.

shields is not a lay and pray fighter, if he gets Gsp down and gets in top position he will not be going for a decision victory, this is a fight sheilds has wanted for years! Sheilds dosnt simply lay in his opponents guard, he goes for position advancement, gnp, and submissions.

I think if shields is able to take gsp down repeatedly we are going to see a shields victory- very hard to take gsp down but it has been done before(I would really be interested what Jake sheilds gameplan for getting it to the ground is going to be) by fighters who couldnt take advantage of it, I think its clear that jake shields is more dangerous on the ground than any of them.

I get the feeling that this will be a ground battle, Im going with the underdog in this one - Shields victory by armbar.

If the fight remains standing a unanimous decision for GSP.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I want to see GSP outgrapple him. Shields is the real deal in grappling. His 15 fight win streak is incredible and some might argue it as good as GSPs wins.

In case you forgot:

Okami
Condit
Pyle
Daley
Lawler
Miller
Henderson
Kampmann

Shields is boring and has had scary moments but he is effective. Its impressive how effective he is because his stand is ****ing terrible. Even though he is working on it, it remains insanely bad. I give him props for having the balls to stand with guys like Hendo and Kampmann even if it is for a short while.

Shields main problem is his lack of power. Even when he is all over you, if he doesn't sub you then he can't put you away even if he is in really dominant positions.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
I think people are confused if it goes to the ground shields has dangerous ability.

shields is not a lay and pray fighter, if he gets Gsp down and gets in top position he will not be going for a decision victory, this is a fight sheilds has wanted for years! Sheilds dosnt simply lay in his opponents guard, he goes for position advancement, gnp, and submissions.

I think if shields is able to take gsp down repeatedly we are going to see a shields victory- very hard to take gsp down but it has been done before(I would really be interested what Jake sheilds gameplan for getting it to the ground is going to be) by fighters who couldnt take advantage of it, I think its clear that jake shields is more dangerous on the ground than any of them.

I get the feeling that this will be a ground battle, Im going with the underdog in this one - Shields victory by armbar.

If the fight remains standing a unanimous decision for GSP.
Shields is more dangerous on the ground than a prime Matt Hughes? Really?
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I dont think Jake is going to risk losing position going for a sub against arguably the p4p no 1 fighter in the world when he wasnt nearly as agressive in his last 3 fights. He's more than capable sure, but too me that just like hoping for a Cro Cop head kick
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Shields is more dangerous on the ground than a prime Matt Hughes? Really?

Matt huges in his prime beat gsp. But its passable that shields is better than matt hughes, on the ground as well as an overall martial artist- it isnt proven but is quite possible.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

my boy shields is well conditioned and mentally tough but with all respect to my boy shields if he gets taken down i think its going to be a loooonng night for him. If HOWEVER if gsp ends up in shields guard i dont think jake will be very scared and would probably be more comfortable on the bottom than on top. WAAARR 209 CESAR GRACIE!! STEP MAAR IN DE RING!!!
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum