Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: With 2012 close here are one man's top 30 in the super heavy and heavy field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
I thought Mekhontsev is now fighting at 81 kg, switching with Beterbiev who jumped to 91 kg at the most recent Russian championships. That move did not work well for Beterviec. I think he got stopped in that tournament.

I also read something a year or so back about Russo turning pro with a Don King contract.

Sorry: I am too lazy to search for the details.
Ya Mekhontsev and Beterbiev switched at the 2010 Nationals, Beterbiev lost though and they swtiched back for the 2010 Europeans, both won Gold at their original weightclasses.

Russo is fighting in the World Series of Boxing Currently. Ukraine's former MW Derevyanchenko is too and he is the top MW with a 5-0 undefeated record.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: With 2012 close here are one man's top 30 in the super heavy and heavy field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Ya Mekhontsev and Beterbiev switched at the 2010 Nationals, Beterbiev lost though and they swtiched back for the 2010 Europeans, both won Gold at their original weightclasses.

Russo is fighting in the World Series of Boxing Currently. Ukraine's former MW Derevyanchenko is too and he is the top MW with a 5-0 undefeated record.

Thanks for the clarification. I was out of the loop for around six months, last year and for a few monts this year.

GOOD NEWS! Except for Russo. I never liked that prick...
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #18
warman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 340

i already love this thread! great read on the prospects!
warman is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #19
Karlo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Kapitonenko is ****ing horrid and guys like Savon who can't best him certianly won't amount to shit.

Cammarelle is 30, has back problems, is past his best, and will never turn pro.

How does he mentioned Usyk but not Mekhontsev?

Dychko and Hrgovic interest me.

Hello Vysotsky, the reason that I dropped Mekhontsev from the list is that I read that he moved down to light heavy.

all the best
Karlo
Karlo is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #20
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

While the field lacks a mature talent like Lewis or Klitschko, it seems to be teaming with young talent! I can't wait to see/read about the Amateur World Boxing Championships. The Amateur World Boxing Championship to me has the best format as the field has more fighters than the Olympics. The event will be held in Busan, South Korea from September 16, 2011 to October 1, 2011.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
(49) Simon Vallily
YOB: 1986
H-W: SH
Became the ABA champ among the super heavies in 2009. A heavy hitter it says.
I've actually sparred with him and seen him fight on several occasions. He's very heavy handed and always gets into exciting fights. His chin isn't the strongest. That's about the only downside. One to watch out for if he turns pro. Oh, and he's down in under 91 kgs now.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
While the field lacks a mature talent like Lewis or Klitschko, it seems to be teaming with young talent! I can't wait to see/read about the Amateur World Boxing Championships. The Amateur World Boxing Championship to me has the best format as the field has more fighters than the Olympics. The event will be held in Busan, South Korea from September 16, 2011 to October 1, 2011.
Location has changed to Baku, Azerbaijan and starts on September 22 and ends October 10.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
Hello Vysotsky, the reason that I dropped Mekhontsev from the list is that I read that he moved down to light heavy.

all the best
Karlo
Ah makes sense. Kind of suprised he could cut to 178lbs for Nationals. He moved back up for the Euro's and won Gold at HW though. I imagine they'll keep Beterbiev at LHW and Mekhontsev at HW for World's and Olympics since Beterbiev struggled a bit at HW and lost Nationals.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #24
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Karlo, who do you pick to win gold, silver, bronze, and bronze in the upcoming would amateurs at heavy and super heavy?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ah makes sense. Kind of suprised he could cut to 178lbs for Nationals. He moved back up for the Euro's and won Gold at HW though. I imagine they'll keep Beterbiev at LHW and Mekhontsev at HW for World's and Olympics since Beterbiev struggled a bit at HW and lost Nationals.
I don't think you're right mate. The euros were in June, and the Russian nationals were in September 2010, so they switched weights after. Znaak, didn't you box against Mekhontsev at 81kg recently?
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by znaak View Post
Location has changed to Baku, Azerbaijan and starts on September 22 and ends October 10.

Interesting! Baku just had the Freestyle and Greco-Roman World championships back in 09'. Azerbidzhan is an oil boon/boom town that has really increased it's visibilty on the World stage. The Azeri have always produced good wrestlers but now they are also putting out some strong judo players along with amateur boxing squads.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #27
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
Znaak, didn't you box against Mekhontsev at 81kg recently?
Hehe, that's right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
Interesting! Baku just had the Freestyle and Greco-Roman World championships back in 09'. Azerbidzhan is an oil boon/boom town that has really increased it's visibilty on the World stage. The Azeri have always produced good wrestlers but now they are also putting out some strong judo players along with amateur boxing squads.
And let's not forget that they had the World Amateur Youth Championships in boxing too last year.

And I see that they already have the Russian Nationals for this year. It's going on now. Shall be interesting to see how Beterbiev and Mekhontsev does.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #28
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Beterbiev is fantastic talent. I prefer him at 81k, not 91k.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
moorser
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

bit of footage of con shehan in the irish national finals

he is in the red

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzw4jdhgvic[/ame]

and in a tournament in poland a few weeks back were he won a silver medal

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYOkve5oL4w[/ame]
moorser is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
MonsterX
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Karlo is a well repsected guy and I hope he will be back soon with his famous top 100 prospects heavyweight list!!
MonsterX is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum