Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default My last fight

You guys know, whenever I get a bout of mine filmed, I really like your feedback, as most of you guys are always on point when it comes to noticing flaws in my own technique, and it helps me improve.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu377G0J7kg[/ame]

This was my last fight, I fought it last night. At Welterweight, I'm usually a Light-Welterweight but moved up for this one. I was in the blue.

I'll give you my thoughts on it.

In round 1 (my brother who recorded this, went to the toilet and missed this round), it was pretty much a feeling out round. I started out with a high guard and just probed for weaknesses with feints and jabs. I found out the guy didn't like an 'up jab' and didn't have the 'know-how' to counter my low left, although I thought I did a pretty good job of keeping my hands up here.

In the second I thought I upped it, and took control with my left jab, doubling it up and setting up the punches off of it quite well. Although it turned quite scrappy as both of us were comfortable with trading in close quarters, and we were not adverse to the rough stuff. So it was pretty scrappy, but I felt I controlled the round and landed the better punches.

I thought the third was pretty similar, with me just keeping behind that left jab and boxing nicely. He landed a big punch at the end of the round, but I still felt I edged it. Although I can't really complain with the decision as it was a close fight.

I thought I boxed pretty well, cause as some of you will know, I'm not scared of a tear-up, often when it does not suit me, and now I'm really trying not to get involved too much, so it will take a couple of fights to cultivate my boxing to the level it needs to be. But I think this fight was a massive step in the right direction.

As always lads, really welcome all, and any, of your guys feedback.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: My last fight (Mods Please Don't Move)

bigger stronger lad in the red, hard slog, but I like your movement i.e prefering to box, but also showing the want and desire for infighting when up close - good work...

fitness is key to success, if your 150% fit you'll more often than not compensate for otherwise weakness in your game - boxing ability and/or strength.

good luck.
thistle1 is online now  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Thanks, Greg! Always nice to see these, and I agree that your are progressing. Your movement is good, you work well behind the jab and your head movement has improved as well. Just a couple of pointers:

1. Your right is quite looped. You should throw it tighter and throw more straight rights down the pipe.

2. Your left is held low. I used to hold my left low as well, felt it improved both my jab and right, but it really isn't necessary. You improve your defence so much and so easily by just keeping that left up.

3. It was a bit scrappy and I felt that you perhaps could be calmer in the clinches. No real damage seemed to be done there anyhow (even though you landed a couple of nice uppercuts to the belly in the last round), so you should probably focus on staying calm and balanced and letting the other guy exert himself. Then there's always the thing to practice on being exact and balanced when stepping in with jabs and combinations so you get the room you need and don't clash wih the other guy, but that's always an ongoing work.

But all in all it looked good, and judging from those two rounds it seemed to me that you edged it.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Thanks, Greg! Always nice to see these, and I agree that your are progressing. Your movement is good, you work well behind the jab and your head movement has improved as well.
Cheers pal.

Quote:
1. Your right is quite looped. You should throw it tighter and throw more straight rights down the pipe.
Yeh, I think I got a bit carried away with the 'overhand' right on the taller guy, as you say a straighter shot would have been better.

Quote:
2. Your left is held low. I used to hold my left low as well, felt it improved both my jab and right, but it really isn't necessary. You improve your defence so much and so easily by just keeping that left up.
In the first round it seemed to work better, its not always a good thing but I think it was the right thing to do here.

Quote:
3. It was a bit scrappy and I felt that you perhaps could be calmer in the clinches. No real damage seemed to be done there anyhow (even though you landed a couple of nice uppercuts to the belly in the last round), so you should probably focus on staying calm and balanced and letting the other guy exert himself. Then there's always the thing to practice on being exact and balanced when stepping in with jabs and combinations so you get the room you need and don't clash wih the other guy, but that's always an ongoing work.
I think it was that instinct to fight kicking in. I think it will take a few more fights for me to just relax and feel its not necessary to trade with guys in close. I think thats good advice though, will definitely bear that in mind, all of it in fact.

Quote:
But all in all it looked good, and judging from those two rounds it seemed to me that you edged it.
Thanks, it was close, I can't complain too much about the decision.

Also Thistle1 thanks for the feedback, the guy looked massive compared to me, don't you think?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
In the first round it seemed to work better, its not always a good thing but I think it was the right thing to do here.
Yeah, as far as I could see you weren't punished for it. It's just a dangerous habit to cultivate,
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Not watched the video yet GPater, but i'd just like to say you've got a very calculating mind for such a young kid
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Yeah, as far as I could see you weren't punished for it. It's just a dangerous habit to cultivate,
Yeh, it seemed to me to be the best approach in this fight. It's not always the case, I won't always get away with it and I know that. I have a video of a fight afew months ago against a fast kid and I kept a tight guard there and beat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Not watched the video yet GPater, but i'd just like to say you've got a very calculating mind for such a young kid
What do you mean by that?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Yeh, it seemed to me to be the best approach in this fight. It's not always the case, I won't always get away with it and I know that. I have a video of a fight afew months ago against a fast kid and I kept a tight guard there and beat him.

What do you mean by that?
I dont know, just the way you talk about and study things. Its very mature. Im 23 and if i'd just won a fight i wouldnt be studying things and asking for indepth constructive critism. I'd be more like....

"Yeeeeeee..yeyeyeyeyeyea! My dick hard mother ****ers! my dick hard! Come get some...Klitchko sisters, David Gay, where you at? Lennox, Lennox Lewis, im coming for you....Burger king baby!"
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
I dont know, just the way you talk about and study things. Its very mature. Im 23 and if i'd just won a fight i wouldnt be studying things and asking for indepth constructive critism. I'd be more like....

"Yeeeeeee..yeyeyeyeyeyea! My dick hard mother ****ers! my dick hard! Come get some...Klitchko sisters, David Gay, where you at? Lennox, Lennox Lewis, im coming for you....Burger king baby!"
People who know me say I am a bit emotionless.

My thinking is, I'm not the best out there, I aint amazingly physically gifted, so I got to make up for it with great technique, so I need to know my weaknesses so I can water tight them.

(also I lost)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

That damn ring post blocks a lot of the action. I thought he edged you, but it's hard to tell from the angle. You seem more comfortable fighting on the front fight instead of the back foot? Is this an accurate observation? Sometimes that eagerness seems to allow opponents to lead or counter off your aggression. I feel maybe you could get better or more comfortable going backwards or fighting backwards. Just being more relaxed, and maybe feinting a little could give you more success with that jab. I like how you push that jab, and don't just flick it. Perhaps if you were more comfortable going on the back-foot as well you could add some variation to your jab as well. Just a thought.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

I thought you won, though it was close.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
That damn ring post blocks a lot of the action. I thought he edged you, but it's hard to tell from the angle. You seem more comfortable fighting on the front fight instead of the back foot? Is this an accurate observation? Sometimes that eagerness seems to allow opponents to lead or counter off your aggression. I feel maybe you could get better or more comfortable going backwards or fighting backwards. Just being more relaxed, and maybe feinting a little could give you more success with that jab. I like how you push that jab, and don't just flick it.
Yeh, the camera angle is crap.

I was more comfortable on the front foot in this fight as the guy was taller. Generally, I feel more comfortable mid-ring controlling the action, but I feel I can counter and box on the backfoot well. Its basically all I do in sparring as I spar with bigger guys.

Yeh I should ahve mixed in more feints, but I thought was jab was working superbly as it was. I dont think it missed.

I cant complain with the decision, might get a rematch next month so I'll look to win that won clearer
Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Grinnin' from ear to ear, P. Have felt EXACTLY the same. Pigged-out at Howard Johnson -- our BK. Was high as a kite for days.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
People who know me say I am a bit emotionless.

My thinking is, I'm not the best out there, I aint amazingly physically gifted, so I got to make up for it with great technique, so I need to know my weaknesses so I can water tight them.

(also I lost)
That mentality is a very important asset, though. When I sparr with the young amateurs in the gym, thoughtfulness and ability to adapt is mostly what seem to be missing. I think that I would be quite similar in that age. That's the one advatange I think age have given me; a more dispassionate way of looking at my flaws and shortcomings in order to try and rectify them.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeh, the camera angle is crap.

I was more comfortable on the front foot in this fight as the guy was taller. Generally, I feel more comfortable mid-ring controlling the action, but I feel I can counter and box on the backfoot well. Its basically all I do in sparring as I spar with bigger guys.

Yeh I should ahve mixed in more feints, but I thought was jab was working superbly as it was. I dont think it missed.

I cant complain with the decision, might get a rematch next month so I'll look to win that won clearer
You should try the jab to the body more. Seemed like he was open to it. Or a jab to the face, a straight right to the body and then back up with a left hook.
Bokaj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing