Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Chris Eubank on Development

Guy on MMA board interviewed him in Vegas

Quote:
I went through about nine different trainers as a young man and I kept changing because I wanted to get the best out of myself and wanted to know everything. Different trainers taught me different things.

Certain trainers taught me certain ways to punch for instance, but the main trainer at the gymnasium I was taught at in New York had the best fighters in his stable and the most complex way to punch, even if he didn't have time to train me directly, I would copy and practice and other trainers with their own ideas and techniques would tear their hair out.

Andy Martinez was particularly good at drumming into you to catch and counter and use basic punches with extended elbows. Luis Camacho was particularly good at teaching you how to close the distance and how to side-step.

Maximo Pierret was particularly good at teaching pivot left hooks, anchoring down to throw body shots, how to bob and weave and throw correct uppercuts. He was the main teacher I had.

Patrick Ford was particularly good at advising you to fight from the outside range, and Lenny DeJesus taught me to set-up right hands, while Ronnie Davies taught me how to fight a southpaw.

Walter Johnson, whom I called 'Doctor', was my martial arts trainer and taught me a lot about weight distribution.

They all brought something.

Quote:
I actually planned to box in the 1986 Commonwealth Games for Jamaica, but the country pulled out of the Games, so I turned professional to save for tuition, at the time.

Quote:
A lot of the sparring fights I had in the 1980s with gym fighters was like a world championship fight for a vacant title. Taking power aside, many were better than (Nigel) Benn.

The real fact was that Benn, Nigel, wasn't ready for me; not the other way round. That was the real fact.

Quote:
I would advise all young fighters to bounce between gyms to get more sparring, and to bounce between trainers to get more knowledge. And the biggest advise is to stay away from vice, if you have aspirations in boxing.

Last edited by atberry; 07-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.
atberry is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Chris Eubank on Development

Quote:
If anyone can reach their opponent then they can also land a sharp jab. But I could land two sharp jabs at once when I couldn't reach my opponent and that's what seperated me.

I also learned myself to punch without extending my elbow more than an inch and with virtually no back-pull, and that made it very difficult for opponents to react fast enough.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk82qIkP3N4[/ame]
atberry is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Cheers atberry.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
I also learned myself to punch without extending my elbow more than an inch and with virtually no back-pull, and that made it very difficult for opponents to react fast enough.
That's very interesting if slightly unorthodox...Eubank is underrated for the snappyness (is that a word?) in his punches. He had very quick hand release and good eyes.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Sweet.

Makes me wonder as to how he knew when to move on, i mean......did he pick such coaches/trainers specifically ?

Nice thread
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
That's very interesting if slightly unorthodox...Eubank is underrated for the snappyness (is that a word?) in his punches. He had very quick hand release and good eyes.
Yeah agreed. I remember him being on Soccer AM. He said he was bringing out a book on his philosophy on Boxing Techniques. He stood up and showed how he snapped punches and use of the hips and pivoting. This Episode was years back mind so doubt he brought it out.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No idea but here's some stuff on two of them.

Patrick Ford - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Lenny DeJesus - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] o x i n gscene.com/building-hand-speed-with-lenny-dejesus--2624

Bronx Boxing - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
atberry is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Yeah agreed. I remember him being on Soccer AM. He said he was bringing out a book on his philosophy on Boxing Techniques. He stood up and showed how he snapped punches and use of the hips and pivoting. This Episode was years back mind so doubt he brought it out.
Someone needs to dig this out!
atberry is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-las-vegas/a-bronx-tale-veteran-joseph-figueroa-gives-us-an-insider-s-view-of-the-real-joshua-clottey
V.interesting btw!
atberry is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Pat Ford was a very good fighter, Atberry. Gave Salvador Sanchez all he could handle.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2leT3cBOU[/ame]

WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

That second jab is very tasty!
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Someone needs to dig this out!
Yeah it still fresh in memory but must of been a good 4-5 years ago at least. Love to see it again...so enthusiastic about it you could see he was into what he was talking about.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Eubank's style is fascinating. It looks like he just taught himself to box, he looked corny and a little amateurish when he was throwing his combinations, but he was very deceptive. As you say Mand. he snapped his punches and didn't waste any motion.

People can get a sense of this...before some Eubank fights they show him shadow boxing in the changing rooms and displaying this trait. Much more athletically gifted fighters are not as 'fast' with their release of punches because they load up.

He doesn't look it, but from point A to B with one punch Eubank was very fast, because of that no waste of motion and he tried to keep it compact. This is why he got the better of some fighters in extended exchanges. There's a perfect illustration of this in the final few seconds of the final round of his fight with Calzaghe, where he comes off the ropes and hit Joe with a HUGE short right hand almost knocking him out. So he also kept that form and compact punching in extreme fatigue. Eubank was more talented then even he realised and would admit.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum