Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
painforall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing coach Ko`s former UFC champ Don Frye in streetfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR
From every report I read, from people who there... they say that "Sonny" sucker punched Frye to kick it all off. The video clearly starts after shit kicked off, so we can't see that part. Also, they said that Frye was completely trashed, and that is rather obvious. I also heard that the first time that they fought, it was stopped with Frye getting a single leg takedown, and landing some hard punches on top... and being pulled off.
Sonny dident sucker punch frye, there is the video did you see a sucker punch? I dident, Yes MMA fighters can get their ass kicked by old boxing coaches. Shit happens MMA is not the End all and Be all of combat.
painforall is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by painforall
Sonny dident sucker punch frye, there is the video did you see a sucker punch? I dident, Yes MMA fighters can get their ass kicked by old boxing coaches. Shit happens MMA is not the End all and Be all of combat.
True, in a street fight anything could happen and usually does. Frye got caught with a shot and was in trouble after that, it dont matter in your MMA master or Heavyweight champion, all it takes is one punch sometimes to put you on your back.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by painforall
Uhh... I don't recall seeing the begining of the fight in that video either. Seems obvious to me that the video started DURING the fight. We can't see what happened when the fight actually started. Obviously the Sonny could have sucker punched him, which caused the man with the camera to grab it, and start filming what kicked off from there. Very possible, and that video doesn't show us one way or the other. For all we know, Frye could have landed a Crane Kick from Karate Kid 5 seconds before or after. That video is awful, and only shows a few seconds of that scuffle. They actually fought twice, and there are all different reports about what actually happened during the entire fights. However, most of them include the fact that it was all kicked off by a sucker punch from Sonny after Don Frye told him to shut his mouth for bad mouthing Pro Wrestlers.

Last edited by WhataRock; 10-08-2006 at 03:38 AM.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #19
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

God this place is getting as bad as myspace. Two old farts, one of whom may or may not be drunk do NOT represent two entire sports and their universal applicability to streetfighting. You can always find some combination of age/skill/luck/circumstance and show a boxer beating an MMA guy or visa versa. It doesn't mean shit. The only way to PROVE which is better is to take a hundred sets of identical twins, separate them at birth, train them on separate islands for twenty five years (one set in boxing, one in MMA) giving them exactly the same diet etc and then let them all fight each other one at a time. Repeat this scenario a bunch of times to get statistical significance and then you might have an answer. Point is, this "fight" means nothing other than exactly what we see; Don Frye gets hit a few times by some guy and falls over. End of discussion.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #20
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Stop the Frye excuses. The other guy is in his 50's for god's sake!
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
God this place is getting as bad as myspace. Two old farts, one of whom may or may not be drunk do NOT represent two entire sports and their universal applicability to streetfighting. You can always find some combination of age/skill/luck/circumstance and show a boxer beating an MMA guy or visa versa. It doesn't mean shit. The only way to PROVE which is better is to take a hundred sets of identical twins, separate them at birth, train them on separate islands for twenty five years (one set in boxing, one in MMA) giving them exactly the same diet etc and then let them all fight each other one at a time. Repeat this scenario a bunch of times to get statistical significance and then you might have an answer. Point is, this "fight" means nothing other than exactly what we see; Don Frye gets hit a few times by some guy and falls over. End of discussion.
Nail..on...head
Ubersteve is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #22
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Quote:
Good post, although I disagree about your stance on "which is better in real life situations". As an even fan of both MMA and Boxing, I think that it is obvious MMA is more suited towards an actual fight. Neither of them is a flat out street fight, however any person with more than 3 brain cells can understand that if you train in Boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, ect.... vs a guy who only trains in boxing... Gee... not a tough decision on who's the favorite in that one. Of course this also depends on individuals, and circumstance. However, if we were just discussing "who is a better fighter" between the groups, MMA fighters are the obvious answer. I don't honestly believe that boxers are even the best guys on their feet, I think that Muay Thai fighters are. More points of attack, and better well rounded strikers on their feet than boxers. Boxing only really works in a boxing match. In a fight, you are just throwing punches, you can't use all of the same techniques, and all of the same defense that you use in boxing. So, most of that pretty shit goes out the window in a real fight. You have people grabbing, hitting you, kicking you, elbowing you, taking you down, choking you, ect.... They aren't standing directly in front of you, with big gloves on, following boxing rules and regulations.

Now, I don't think that you will ever find anyone who loves boxing any more than I do... but this is just reality, and most boxers who aren't stuck on themselves will tell you the same thing. Winky Wright, Shane Mosley, ect... have already stated this publically.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #23
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I agree completely, in a street fight any knowledge of fighting art is good, but it doesnt mean you will always win if you know something. I watched friends who competed in MMA and got there ass handed to them by someone he didnt know shit, and just over powered them I guess.

I boxed most of my life and have come to find out that my experience as a boxer helped me to get off a good punch or two with good technique, but if they were able to eat the punches, it was anybodys fight. I think both MMA and Boxing help are equal IMO, an MMA guy 90% of the time is probably going to get beat up pretty bad if he tries to stand up with the boxer, while the boxer would probably get beat up 90% of the time if it goes to the ground.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #24
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

Can someone embed the video into the thread?
I don't have a youtube account.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM   #25
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

You can imbed it yourself. Just copy and paste the part of the link that comes after "v=" and put it in between [yt.] and [/yt.] without the dots

BORKED
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #26
northend
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Frye may have been drunk,but I can't see how anyone can tell from that video if he was or wasn't.I'll take you word for it that he was,but IMO you can't tell from that video.
northend is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #27
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

I am amazed that Frye was not out cold. I mean that other coach knows how to throw a punch and was teeing off, connecting while Frye walked around like a zombie.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #28
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

The fight with Don Frye and "Sonny," who was Leland Chapman's bodyguard, started when promoter Chris Salsbury told Scott Steiner that MMA promoter Phil Flathres would be in charge of paying the wrestlers. The wrestlers came to Flathers for their money. Somehow the MMA people and wrestling people were played against each other and tension developed. "Sonny" started making remarks about pro wrestling, which saw an MMA fighter/pro wrestler, Frye, telling him to shut up. Frye had been drinking and was loaded. It wound up with them going outside. "Sonny" allegedly sucker punched Frye, bloodying him up. Frye then allegedly single legged Sonny and was punching him hard from the mount when it was pulled apart. The second confrontation in the parking lot saw Sonny knock down Frye and Sonny and Leland Chapman ran off as Scott Norton came and Frye got up. It should be noted that we've gotten many different versions and all are slightly different but this seems to be the best detailed version.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #29
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

u do no frye has to take a shit load of painkillers just to be able to train. if theywee both in prime it would of been a rap adn that dude wouldn of been dead
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #30
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

after watching Frye vs Thompson.....I know Frye can sure take a punch..........or punches
AJAX is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum