Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default "Jim J. Jeffries vs. Max Baer" (Heavyweight Title Dream Fight.) Who is the man?

Fellas,

For the sake of debate, let us pit 1900 or 1901 James J. Jeffries against 1933 or even 1934 Max Baer together in a 15 rounder for the "Champeen-Ship" of the world in a time machine designed by Motorola...

Jimmy Jeff was hatched in 1875, so at the turn of the century he was 25 or 26 years old and primed to rage in a cage...

Max Baer was hatched in 1909, so by the time he was a true champ in 1934 he was basically 25 years old and also primed to go like baby back ribs at the Outback...

I'm gonna be neutral here and go with 1927 boxing rules that Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney were generally forced to abide by in Chicago. Upon a knockdown, the man scoring the knockdown must go to the neutral corner and allow the referee to do an eight count over the fallen fighter...

I suppose, in this case, both Jeff and Baer would be required to wear 8 oz. gloves since 10 oz. gloves weren't used way back when they were fighting as heavyweights...

Both men can use modern day mouthpieces... None of this wooden crap or a ripped rag around the toungue malarkey.... Plastic pieces with a vent....

The ring size is a good size and fair size for heavyweights at 20 X 20...

Predictions?

C'mon back...

SR.BILLARDO
MRBILL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: "Jim J. Jeffries vs. Max Baer" (Heavyweight Title Dream Fight.) Who is the man?

It would have been a war, though I'm not sure if I'd favour a KO here either way. Baer could punch but Jeffries could take it. Jeffries's own power against 210+ lb men is rightfully questionable. Baer could get the better of it for 10 rounds and even 15 rounds when in his best shape but otherwise Jeffries's stamina would win it for him.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Default Re: "Jim J. Jeffries vs. Max Baer" (Heavyweight Title Dream Fight.) Who is the man?

My guess is that Baer has the better skills overall, and Jeff has an advantage in the clinches... Both went 20 rounds, so I don't believe Jeff has a real advantage in the stamina department.

Jeff clinches and mauls, wings big punches and generally isn't as effective as Baer's offense or defense.

Baer W15 Jeffries
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

True about Jeff getting lots of credit by beating aging small fries in "Corby & Fitz."
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

I like Jeffries in this one......He was the better fighter in my opinion.....
Although Baer certainly had the power to hurt anybody Jim was tough as nails and he could punch like hell too......

And Jeffries had a great underrated head movement as he showed in this video.....2:09
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CauVMvNspIY&feature=related[/ame]
It is tough to say without more footage on Jeffries, but maybe he was the more skilled fighter, I think........
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

I believe Baer would win if he came to the fight seriously.
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Rojo View Post
I believe Baer would win if he came to the fight seriously.
Jeffries would instill more fear and motivation into Baer then Braddock did in '35... Baer would be a fool to jack around with prime Jeff for the vacant crown...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
I like Jeffries in this one......He was the better fighter in my opinion.....
Although Baer certainly had the power to hurt anybody Jim was tough as nails and he could punch like hell too......

And Jeffries had a great underrated head movement as he showed in this video.....2:09
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It is tough to say without more footage on Jeffries, but maybe he was the more skilled fighter, I think........
The only film we have of a prime Jeffries in actual combat does NOT show him to use head movement or footspeed he plods after Ruhlin left hand ****ed and held low,against Sharkey, he waits for Sharkey to attack,then counters.
I think both men had holes in their defences you could drive a bus through. A 39 year old Fitz coming out of retirement smashed Jeffries face to bits for 8 rds until his hands were smashed from the continuous impact of colliding with Jeffries bony head.
Baer was easily jabbed off by Braddock ,and Louis took him apart when he froze.
Jeffries low left hand would be an invitation for Baer to launch his overhand right,but Jeffries did tuck his chin down into his shoulder effectively.
I give Baer the power edge and his chin is proven against big heavyweights.
We have to take Jeffries chin on trust but ,assuming it holds up, durability is about equal, imo.
Baer suffered from bad hands and he could get them smashed here if Jeffries can take that right.
I think Baer has some early success battering Jeffries ,but I see Jeffries coming on late to take a close decision , after weathering the early storm, with no knockdowns scored by either man.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
My guess is that Baer has the better skills overall
My heart goes out to Jeffries if he has become this woefully underapreciated!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well, as Gilbert Clancy used to say: "Whoever is the better catcher will win the fight." Baer's defense stunk, but I haven't seen enough of Jeff to truly determine his skills....

I do like that turn of the century workout clip that's posted on the thread. Jimmy Jeff certainly was a great circa--1900 athlete... No doubt...

Also, as lazy as Baer's attitude about boxing may have been, he still looked healthy and toned against "Braddock & Louis" in 1935... Point being, he never looked slobbish despite his lackluster training camps....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Baer knocks him out or Jeffries outworks him for a decision is the most likely scenarios here
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Baer is over rated, and didn't have the right heart for the game. Jeffries is better at almost eveything except the right hand. Jeffries via UD or late TKO.
Mendoza is online now  Top
Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
My heart goes out to Jeffries if he has become this woefully underapreciated!
Agreed ! While Max would survive far longer against Jim than a fast starting Tyson I believe Jeffries was classes above him and would pound out a clear victory ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just reviewed my tape of "Baer-Schmeling" the other night and I gotta say, even though Baer could whack in the 1930's real well, he was just as amateurish in delivering wicked punches as a young 1970's George Foreman was... Point is, Max Baer had a very bad technique in which he threw shots... However, yes, even crazy shots do land sometime...

I think Jimmy Jeff would see and parry / block a lot of Baer's wide-ass or looping blows...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #15
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I don't find Jeffries the least bit impressive on film, he was big and strong sure but he had no technique, plodded and kept his hands very low. His entire modus operandi was to let his opponent smash him in the face then lunge at his opponent, wrestle and hit them in clinches. Baer's power and chin are VASTLY more proven than jeffries who faced super middles for practically his entire career. Baer takes this by KO bigger, better, harder hitting, more durable with stamina to go 20 rounds.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum