Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "Jim J. Jeffries vs. Max Baer" (Heavyweight Title Dream Fight.) Who is the man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
I like Jeffries in this one......He was the better fighter in my opinion.....
Although Baer certainly had the power to hurt anybody Jim was tough as nails and he could punch like hell too......

And Jeffries had a great underrated head movement as he showed in this video.....2:09
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It is tough to say without more footage on Jeffries, but maybe he was the more skilled fighter, I think........
Film of Jeffries actually fighting does not show him utilising head movement he either sits back semi- stationary and counters[ Sharkey,] or comes straight forwards without moving his head [ Ruhlin.]
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #17
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: "Jim J. Jeffries vs. Max Baer" (Heavyweight Title Dream Fight.) Who is the man?

Jeffries has the reputation for being the greater fighter but Baer is probably a much bigger stronger (and younger?) man that the men Jeffries was accustomed to take on. With all due respect to the likes of Fitzsimmons, Choynski, Corbett, Jackson, Sharkey ... these were dusty old men or blown-up middleweights. ..... and Baer at 23 years old was a 210 pound hunk of prime beef - a thoroughbred stud !

(no homo)
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Jeffries has the reputation for being the greater fighter but Baer is probably a much bigger stronger (and younger?) man that the men Jeffries was accustomed to take on. With all due respect to the likes of Fitzsimmons, Choynski, Corbett, Jackson, Sharkey ... these were dusty old men or blown-up middleweights. ..... and Baer at 23 years old was a 210 pound hunk of prime beef - a thoroughbred stud !

(no homo)
To be fair to Jeffries he did stop 200lbs Ruhlin with body shots, though Ruhlin looks the faster, more skilled man in the filmed footage.imo.
One thing struck me about the Ruhlin fight,apart from being the only film we have of Jeffries taking the initiative and forcing the fight,Jeffries looks very open to right hands. Baer's best punch was his overhand right.
Both went 20rds ,both had top chins, Baer had more power.Tough one to call.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Film of Jeffries actually fighting does not show him utilising head movement he either sits back semi- stationary and counters[ Sharkey,] or comes straight forwards without moving his head [ Ruhlin.]
You are no authority on film. There is a clip of Jeffreis ducking a helicaiuos hook from Tom Sharkey. There is also film of Jeffries sparring where he shows quick feet and head movement. Plenty of news reads describe Jeffries ducking or slipping punches. Your either illiterate, or purposely deceitful on this topic.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Curiously with these two in my own rankings of all the heavyweight champions I actually have these two side by side Jeffries at no.21 and Maxie at no.22 - two of the greatest physical specimens in heavyweight history thats for sure - but as per my rankings I consider that James J Jeffries would possibly have been too much for Maxie had he got him in there - don't ask me why - just gut feeling - one thing Jeffries went through the horrendous furnace of Tom Sharkey II and Maxie openly admitted that he quit once (admittedly in the face of prime Joe Louis' doom laden fists but still) - just think that Jeffries is the sort of guy who would never ever quit and he would force a guy like Maxie to fight like a man (if you get my meaning) and sometimes Baer didn't like it - I'm really not sold on the outcome of this - Max Baer had those massive shots - but he was often the first to start going walk about in a lot of his fights - his mind wasn't fully into the fights most of the time - and Jeffries was as SERIOUS as it gets so just gut feeling says Jeffries
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
You are no authority on film. There is a clip of Jeffreis
Quote:
ducking a helicaiuos hook from Tom Sharkey. There is also film of Jeffries sparring where he shows quick feet and head movement. Plenty of news reads describe Jeffries ducking or slipping punches. Your either illiterate, or purposely deceitful on this topic.
You are right, I am no authority on film.

Ducking a punch is not utilising good head movement in either attack ,or defence it is a reflex action that any man would do.

I repeat there is NO FILM of Jeffries, in an actual fight, that shows him utilising evasive head movement.

There are absolutely reams of reports of Jeffries picking off punches with his face , two of the fights this is especially remarked upon are Corbett.1, and Fitz.2.

Before you call anyone illiterate, it is as well to ensure that your post is not littered with spelling mistakes.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I like Max Baer in this one.. Jeffries got busted up by fighters who were much smaller, had less power and were past their primes.. Sure he defeated these men but had to take a licking in order to do it... Baer's wins over Schmeling, Carnera and Galento were better wins than the ones Jeff had.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I like Max Baer in this one.. Jeffries got busted up by fighters who were much smaller, had less power and were past their primes.. Sure he defeated these men but had to take a licking in order to do it... Baer's wins over Schmeling, Carnera and Galento were better wins than the ones Jeff had.
Jeffries defence was worse than Baer's (if that's possible) he caught all of the opponents punches on his face and with a puncher like Baer that's gonna be a KO.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #24
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Curiously with these two in my own rankings of all the heavyweight champions I actually have these two side by side Jeffries at no.21 and Maxie at no.22 - two of the greatest physical specimens in heavyweight history thats for sure - but as per my rankings I consider that James J Jeffries would possibly have been too much for Maxie had he got him in there - don't ask me why - just gut feeling - one thing Jeffries went through the horrendous furnace of Tom Sharkey II and Maxie openly admitted that he quit once (admittedly in the face of prime Joe Louis' doom laden fists but still) - just think that Jeffries is the sort of guy who would never ever quit and he would force a guy like Maxie to fight like a man (if you get my meaning) and sometimes Baer didn't like it - I'm really not sold on the outcome of this - Max Baer had those massive shots - but he was often the first to start going walk about in a lot of his fights - his mind wasn't fully into the fights most of the time - and Jeffries was as SERIOUS as it gets so just gut feeling says Jeffries
So leme get this straight cos Baer quit once against the best puncher of all time after getting hit with everyshot in the book you think Jeffries is gonna do the same thing? Im sorry but that's a massive load of shit. Baer has a more proven chin, more proven power, beaten better, bigger and flat out more dangerous opponents yet Jeffries who only beat opponents he outweighed significantly is gonna beat him?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #25
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
You are right, I am no authority on film.

Ducking a punch is not utilising good head movement in either attack ,or defence it is a reflex action that any man would do.

I repeat there is NO FILM of Jeffries, in an actual fight, that shows him utilising evasive head movement.

There are absolutely reams of reports of Jeffries picking off punches with his face , two of the fights this is especially remarked upon are Corbett.1, and Fitz.2.

Before you call anyone illiterate, it is as well to ensure that your post is not littered with spelling mistakes.
You are WRONG. Ducking a punch is evasive head movement. This is on the Sharkey film.

Furthermore there are news clips that describe Jeffries making Fitz and Corbett miss often.

To bait your silly @ss, I will wager a month ban that I can post it this in news write ups.. Man up or shut up. I'll be back to read your reply later on.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
You are WRONG. Ducking a punch is evasive head movement. This is on the Sharkey film.

Furthermore there are news clips that describe Jeffries making Fitz and Corbett miss often.

To bait your silly @ss, I will wager a month ban that I can post it this in news write ups.. Man up or shut up. I'll be back to read your reply later on.
It's funny you are fixated on my posts. I haven't even made a definitive pick. Yet there are many ripping Jeffries to pieces on this thread, and you ignore their negative comments.

Bait me? You couldn't bait a mouse trap, you poor illiterate moron .
Jimmy Jeffs," blow job queen"
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #27
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

An evenly kmatch up bout although I believe Jeffries was the better conditioned and far more skilled fighter and would win a decision ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
My heart goes out to Jeffries if he has become this woefully underapreciated!
SO, SO, TRUE J.
During Baer's reign this question would be LAUGHED at by boxing people old enough to have seen Jim Jeffries in action in his prime [1899-1900s].
Jeffries was then [1935] considered along with Jack Johnson the two greatest Heavyweights til then, whilst Max Baer was not in the top ten.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
SO, SO, TRUE J.
During Baer's reign this question would be LAUGHED at by boxing people old enough to have seen Jim Jeffries in action in his prime [1899-1900s].
Jeffries was then [1935] considered along with Jack Johnson the two greatest Heavyweights til then, whilst Max Baer was not in the top ten.
Despite what some 'boxing people' said 100 years ago doesn't bring anything to this fight, I'm sure the same people would favour Jeffries over Ali even if they saw Ali in his prime. Jeffries has no advantage over Baer in this fight Baer was taller, longer reach, more power, better chin fought and beat tougher, larger opponents even stamina is about even i'd say. Baer could go 20 rounds in an era where there was much more action in a boxing fight, Jeffries fought 20 rounds where majority of the 'action' was clinching against guys who weighed 20+ pounds less than him.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Jeffries defence was worse than Baer's (if that's possible) he caught all of the opponents punches on his face and with a puncher like Baer that's gonna be a KO.
I don't think that it was.

Neither of these guys were defensive masters, but Jeffries probably had a lot more teirs to his defence, and this might possibly be the deciding factor.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum